squirrel hunting strategy and tactics

Hey, I know this is kind of a dumb question, but hey, I'm a country boy now, but was raised a city slicker! Me and my boys went out squirrel hunting today, with no luck. Of course, back when we were deer hunting we saw six thousand squirrels. That leads me to my question. What strategy works best? Walking around just doesn't seem to do it. Should you camp out where we've seen them before? Squirrels when spooked will run down the trees, not up, correct? Thanks for any help! We were using shotguns BTW.

I haven't hunted in a long time but I generally stood still and listened. They will make noise and when you hear it slowly walk in. If they quit making the noise and hide just take a seat and they will come back out in 10-15 minutes. Something else that happens is if you shoot one and it drops to the ground and flops some the other dquirrels will come and investigate. It also helps to know where the nut trees are because they will congregate there. If they aren't there then they are either travelling to or from a nut tree.

If you manage to get a squirrel that is on one side and you are on the other but it keeps running around to the opposite brag a limb off the ground and toss it past the tree. When it hits the ground the squirrel will see or hear the movement and run around to your side. Doesn't always work but it works enough to make it worth tossing that stick.

If you have a squirrel moving and it is hard to get a shot whistle like a hawk they the squirrel will generally freeze in its tracks.

Dolomite

• Like 1

Follow the same tactics you use to deer hunt. Go into the woods and sit down. Squirrels nest in the trees, but right now they are feeding on the ground. This time of year I like use .22 or .17hmr as long shots are not uncommon. Most times, a spooked squirrel on the ground will run away or up a nearby tree to get to it's nest for safety. Early and late in the day are best times. However, they can be seen throughout the day at times.

Dave

• Like 1

With kids, I like to walk a bit, sit a bit. Hopefully you have access to a place you can squirrel hunt with a road of field edge along the woods so you can walk a little more quietly. I like to walk till I see a squirrel, then move slowly towards that direction. Even if I spook the squirrel, usually I can sit down and wait 10-15 minutes and they are moving again. 

I just lay prone on my bed with the window open, when I hear the acorns hitting the roof of my car I wait about 60 seconds for them to come down the tree to retrieve them. Once you get the first the rest are fairly easy. I haven't found a good method for the moles and rabbits. . . yet. 

• Like 1

havent tried this but going to soak 2-3 in buttermilk for 12+ hrs. salt and pepper a little hot spice and about 2 hrs in some worcestershire  sauce wrap in bacon and do them on the grill. did a rabbit this way a few weeks ago a buddy and i ate the whole thing. he is a picky eater

• Like 1

I like my squirrel cooked with dumplings. The following recipe is killer and "those" folks who swear they don't like skwerls, will never know what hit them when they eat this stuff. You can sit back and snicker when it's all said and done! And have a "cold one" on me!

2-4 Squirrels (dead) and cleaned very well to insure all hair is cleaned away.

1 stalk of celery thinly sliced

2 carrots thinly sliced

1 can Cream of Celery soup

1 can of Cream of Chicken soup

1 can of Chicken Broth

Water 10-12 cups (enough to completely cover squirrels. adjust as needed)

1 table spoon ground sage

2 packs of frozen dumplings (you can also make your own or use canned biscuits)

Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Place chicken broth, squirrels, water and sage into a 4 quart or larger pot. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium/low cover and allow to simmer for about 45 minute to an hour or until the squirrels are tender.

2. When squirrels are tender, remove squirrels and allow to cool. Save contents of pot.

3. While the squirrels are cooling, add diced celery, carrots and both cans of soup to the pot. Allow to gently simmer uncovered.

4. When the squirrels are cool enough to handle, pull all meat from the bones. Return the meat to the pot and chunk the bones and shot into the trask can, unless you collect weird stuff of course..

5. Bring contents of pot to a boil.

6. Using homemade dumplings (my preference, good recipes on the web) Canned Biscuits or Frozen Dumplings, Drop dumplings into boiling broth and cook until done. If using canned biscuits, pinch off bits of biscuits and drop into broth. Homemade dumplings can be rolled out very thin, cut into strips and dropped into the broth, or dropped by the spoonfull.

When all dumplings are in the pot, reduce heat to medium and cook for about 15 mins, stirring occasionaly to avoid stick.

Serve, salt and pepper to taste.

This is one of my favorite "Deer camp" recipes cooked over an open fire. It is also great cooked at home in a civilized kitchen!

Ya'll please enjoy!

Dave S

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 3
As far as hunting. We used to hunt early sunny mornings, they will sit in the trees and bark (more like squawk) and we would slip up to them. But I was young and restless but now adays it's probably better to find mast producing trees and sit for a bit and see what you see and hear.

As for cooking we used to clean, boil, quarter, flour and fry. Then make white gravy and mashed potatoes. I have fond memories of squirrel hunting and mom fixing them for dinner.

The dumplings recipe Dave posted sounds great

As far as hunting. We used to hunt early sunny mornings, they will sit in the trees and bark (more like squawk) and we would slip up to them. But I was young and restless but now adays it's probably better to find mast producing trees and sit for a bit and see what you see and hear.

As for cooking we used to clean, boil, quarter, flour and fry. Then make white gravy and mashed potatoes. I have fond memories of squirrel hunting and mom fixing them for dinner.

The dumplings recipe Dave posted sounds great

.....don't forget the biscuits!

Dave

Edited by DaveS

Back to the original OP, as a youth I use to hunt alot of squirrels. I know what you mean about feast or famine. I have seen both. For the days the squirrels seem to be no where, like others have suggested patience, being extra quiet, and being still is the best. If you must walk in the woods, usually the leaves on the ground will let everyone know that you are there. My dad taught me to walk when an airplane is passing over which is more common than you think or if the woods you are hunting in are close to a road, wait until a car is passing so as to camoflage your noise. Once you are finished walking, just find that spot on the ground that is comfortable, relax and try to stay awake for next hour or two, and likely you will hear or see a squirrel. It also helps to use 22 short in these cases, so as not to be too loud when you take your shot assuming you want more than one prize. Enjoy.

The land I hunt, the squirrels have been nearly non existent since Deer Season ended.

I've been on Sunny Days, Cloudy days, Rainy Days, Cold Days, Warm Days...

And it's a nice Wooded area with every Mast Tree there is.

Hunting "mast" trees right now is a bust. Nuts dropped from the trees a couple months ago. Squirrels are feeding on the ground, searching for fallen nuts, seeds and mushrooms growing under the leaf floor. Even digging up stocks planted last year. This is the time of year to watch the ground, not the trees for feeding squirrels.

Dave S

Thanks for the replies. Me and my boys went out and covered 3 different spots, I saw 2 squirrels come out of a tree, run around the tree a couple times and right back in the hole. That was it and we were near our treestand where we saw squirrels all the time deer hunting. It was pretty windy today, I wonder if that had them spooked. Anyways, we will try again. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the replies. Me and my boys went out and covered 3 different spots, I saw 2 squirrels come out of a tree, run around the tree a couple times and right back in the hole. That was it and we were near our treestand where we saw squirrels all the time deer hunting. It was pretty windy today, I wonder if that had them spooked. Anyways, we will try again. Thanks for the advice.

Stay with it. It's the Squirrels breeding season, and a "whole lot of shak'n going on" (or chasing in this case). Be persistant!

Dave S

I never have as much luck on a windy day. I can here and see them much better on a calm day.

I went for a while this morning.

C360_2013-02-11-10-01-37_org_zps955cf856

• Like 1

I like my squirrel cooked with dumplings. The following recipe is killer...

That's the way to really do it right.

When I was a kid and camping out, we'd  just cut 'em in half, slow boil 'em for a while , throw in a can or two of peas or beans, maybe sliced up onions, spuds, whatever, then lastly drop in strips of canned biscuits for the dumplins.

Then eat, very sloppily.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

22 is perfect this time of year for squirrels because the leaves are off the trees and bushes.  You can see a lot further.  Have an accurate 22 rifle, some subsonic ammo, and a good scope.  A 22 is good especially if you want to eat the squirrels and not dig out pellets. 

I like hunting squirrels when it is cool like now and there are no snakes and bugs outside.  I've got to make a run to Fayette County Wolf River WMA before the season ends to see what I can stir up.

That's the way to really do it right.

When I was a kid and camping out, we'd  just cut 'em in half, slow boil 'em for a while , throw in a can or two of peas or beans, maybe sliced up onions, spuds, whatever, then lastly drop in strips of canned biscuits for the dumplins.

Then eat, very sloppily.

- OS

You got it Buddy!! Them were the days huh?

Dave

You got it Buddy!! Them were the days huh?

Dave

Shore wuz. Hell, I don't even remember us ever having a stove, just did it with pot on a piece of grill on rocks over a fire. Mostly up in Tellico, got about run out of camp by a buncha pigs one time just about dark.

Could tell the rest of that story but don't know what the statute of limitations is on poaching (sort of accidental). :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot