Nashville Metro PD employment?

Guest sling

Guest sling

I've been thinking a lot lately about applying to Nashville Metro's PD.

Do we have any officers here on the forum?

What are your impressions on this agency?

Do you enjoy your job?

Note, i'm still in college but graduate in May of next year. Would it be a better idea to wait until i'm out of school to apply?

The questions, the questions.

I'm not looking for macho thrills... this is just something i've wanted to do for awhile and would love to serve the community.

I meet all of the requirments as far as education goes...which in my case is whats going to go for me.

Edited by sling
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a LEO but may I make a suggestion? Last year I took a citizens class about the Metro Nashville Police Dept called the Citizens Police Academy. This years class is going on now. During that class I got the opportunity to do 2 ride-alongs in the South Precinct. That was eye-opening. You should contact your closest precinct commander and see if you can get to do a ride-along. That will give you an 8 hr shift to pick an officer's brain. If I was not 50 I would look at joining.

Guest sling

Southern Nashville isnt exactly the nicest place in the world. If i'm not mistaken its where most recruits are assigned first. Thats just part of it i suppose. :D Thanks for the advice.

Southern Nashville isnt exactly the nicest place in the world. If i'm not mistaken its where most recruits are assigned first. Thats just part of it i suppose. :D Thanks for the advice.

I met a few guys at my MSF course that had just recently gotten out of the academy, and they were assigned in North Nashville, or as they lovingly reffered to it, "Dodge City".

I've been considering joining as well lately. I'm only 24 and I'm begining to question the merits of my desk job. I'd like something more exciting, and being a lifetime resident of Nashville, I would love to serve my community.

New recruits are normally assigned to the worst areas first. That is where the young, fit, and ready are needed most. That is all going to show your T.O is you can hack it as a street cop or not. Handle the violence, see the destroyed lives, and clean up the mess all while keeping your emotions in check.

as someone who just went through the process, prepare for a long and thorough process. you will need to document EVERYTHING for the last seven years. apply as soon as possible and make all the appoinments. be honest. i broke my ankle in a motorycle wreck a week before i was to start, june 2 and now have to start over. you will apply, then you will recieve a date for the civil service exam and obstacle course. if you pass you will get a conditional offer. you will then interview with background officers, then take 3 different phyc test a physical and a voice stress analysis test. all of this spread out over 4-7 months. if you get through all these you will be reviwed by a hiring panel then they will call you with a formal offer or send you letter thanking you for applying, but no dice. be patient an wait.

Hmm. Do tell. :D

:tinfoil:he put them to work. no more 8hr shifts with 4 at the doughnut shop.some feel he is too hard. he believes in prevention by statistics. in other words, the more routine stops you make the greater the chances of finding contraband, felons, etc. sound theory but tends to rub folks the wrong way.

I don’t know anything about Metro, other than they are having a hard time finding people that can qualify; but I am a former cop.

One of the reasons I got out of it was because the money wasn’t as much as I could make as a machinist. That is no longer the case. But you should try to have a trade or skill other than being a cop. Don’t waste your time on a criminal justice degree. All departments are different but most are not impressed with a criminal justice degree; they will teach you what you need to know and they will teach you their way.

Go right for the job you want. If you want Metro; go for it. Once you have a few years on a large PD you can go anywhere in the country you want.

Sounds like you have the education part of it covered, (the written test is a joke on most PD’s) but don’t forget the physical part. Our physical agility test was the hardest part of the process; it got rid of over well over half. Find out what it is and be prepared for it.

The oral interviews are tough. You will be asked off the wall crap just to see how you respond.

If you have any kind of arrest find out if it is a disqualifier before you waste your time. While most job descriptions will say minor misdemeanors are not disqualifiers; they usually are.

If you can find someone on the department where you want to go that will talk to you; that would be a gold mine. They can fill you in on what their department looks for in a candidate.

Did I enjoy it? Sure, but it’s like anything else it gets old. Most cops don’t retire. You get tired of fighting both sides. You have seen the cop bashing threads on here… it gets old. That’s why you want something to fall back on.

I have two honorable discharges and served my country as a cop. I am every bit as proud of my Police service as my Military service. It is an honor that few get to experience. Anyone that wears that uniform doesn’t have to earn my respect, they already have it; they would have to do something to earn my disrespect.

Guest shortfri

Funny i stopped being one to go back into toolmaking also. less hours, better pay. and so forth. Sorry for all you leo haters but cops are really under paid. And there wasn't a dounut shop in the rural area i worked.

:tinfoil:he put them to work. no more 8hr shifts with 4 at the doughnut shop.some feel he is too hard. he believes in prevention by statistics. in other words, the more routine stops you make the greater the chances of finding contraband, felons, etc. sound theory but tends to rub folks the wrong way.

Wow, he made them do their jobs....congratulations...your mediocre!

He is a politician pure and simple. He makes policy with the winds of change, he stumps for whomever is in charge, he uses the position to foster his liberal tendencies. He can't manage his own family (DUIs by son) and he looks ridiculous in a black uniform...switch to the double breasted suit and he could be an undercover "good fella".

I was accepted into Metro back in 92. I spent 9 months writing tickets downtown while they drummed up money for their next academy, all because they didn't want to let me get away. I got away and went into private investigations where I spent the next 8 years.

You can have a good life as a LEO, I have lots of friends that do but it usually means you have to work doubly hard to have a home life. The hours, the side jobs for extra money...its tough.

I agree with the other posters that say talk to someone that is there now. Preferably someone out of the academy only a few years so you see how the guys on the lower rungs (where you will be) feel and are treated. It might be for you!

They were also correct in telling you to be in great physical shape! Unless its changed they will PT you pretty hard.

as someone who just went through the process, prepare for a long and thorough process. you will need to document EVERYTHING for the last seven years. apply as soon as possible and make all the appoinments. be honest. i broke my ankle in a motorycle wreck a week before i was to start, june 2 and now have to start over. you will apply, then you will recieve a date for the civil service exam and obstacle course. if you pass you will get a conditional offer. you will then interview with background officers, then take 3 different phyc test a physical and a voice stress analysis test. all of this spread out over 4-7 months. if you get through all these you will be reviwed by a hiring panel then they will call you with a formal offer or send you letter thanking you for applying, but no dice. be patient an wait.

i was hoping to be in the same academy class. i had to go in for another interview so i missed the june date. if i get picked up it will be in november i guess.

Guest canynracer
I don’t know anything about Metro, other than they are having a hard time finding people that can qualify; but I am a former cop.

One of the reasons I got out of it was because the money wasn’t as much as I could make as a machinist. That is no longer the case. But you should try to have a trade or skill other than being a cop. Don’t waste your time on a criminal justice degree. All departments are different but most are not impressed with a criminal justice degree; they will teach you what you need to know and they will teach you their way.

Go right for the job you want. If you want Metro; go for it. Once you have a few years on a large PD you can go anywhere in the country you want.

Sounds like you have the education part of it covered, (the written test is a joke on most PD’s) but don’t forget the physical part. Our physical agility test was the hardest part of the process; it got rid of over well over half. Find out what it is and be prepared for it.

The oral interviews are tough. You will be asked off the wall crap just to see how you respond.

If you have any kind of arrest find out if it is a disqualifier before you waste your time. While most job descriptions will say minor misdemeanors are not disqualifiers; they usually are.

If you can find someone on the department where you want to go that will talk to you; that would be a gold mine. They can fill you in on what their department looks for in a candidate.

Did I enjoy it? Sure, but it’s like anything else it gets old. Most cops don’t retire. You get tired of fighting both sides. You have seen the cop bashing threads on here… it gets old. That’s why you want something to fall back on.

I have two honorable discharges and served my country as a cop. I am every bit as proud of my Police service as my Military service. It is an honor that few get to experience. Anyone that wears that uniform doesn’t have to earn my respect, they already have it; they would have to do something to earn my disrespect.

I think it moved a little when I read this.... :)

well said Dave...as usual

For you new guys that make it, don't get caught up in the numbers game when you get on the street. Remember it is more important to back up your fellow officers than to have a few extra traffic stops during a shift.

• 1 year later...
Guest HexHead
Wouldn't even think of it while Surpass was in charge. What a pud.

Seriously, which of the past chiefs was any better? Just one anti-gun douchebag after another.

And I'm not disrespecting the street cop here. Just the members of the Police Chief's Assn., that are always mentioned as supporting whatever tripe Brady, VPI, Handgun Control et al dish out.

Edited by HexHead
Guest mosinon

I've got a friend that found it easier to get a job doing federal police work than local. He went with USPP Recruitment

You might consider that, you can carry your gun on a freakin plane of you want.

Plus, you can tell they are serious about police work because they spend no time on webpage design.

There is a good thread about the hiring process over in the TN section of officer.com. I have some friends that work or have worked at metro. Pay is good, room for advancement, specialized units (k9, detective, flex, etc.), also no shortage of "work" I would try and do a ride along. If metro doesn't do them, try any of the surrounding counties/cities from Nashville. This would be the best way to see if you are really going to enjoy the job or not. Good luck.

• 1 month later...