Need help picking a GUN!!!!!!

Goldsquare

I'm looking to get my girl her very own handgun. This will be her first, and yes she can and has shot guns before.

The only problem is I'm a Glock guy myself, and she wants a small gun with a safety on it. It will be a purse carry only so small lightweight and safety are her only wants.

I come here to ask for some ideas..............   so shoot away lol

If this is the wrong place for this question I'm sorry.

Thanks in advance too

380 or 9mm for a small carry gun would probably be ideal ...

My Suggestion's in order of preference:

1)  S&W Shield in 9mm (has safety)

2)  Ruger LCR in .38 (no safety - but heavy trigger pull)

3)  Sig P238 or P938 (380 or 9mm) -- Both get carried cocked & locked

#1 Would probably be the best IMO (but they are incredibly hard to find reasonably priced).  If she doesn't care about a safety, check out a Ruger LCP.  Just got my wife one in Pink :)

Guest drwright6

I always feel like I'm coming across like a Beretta salesman when I try to tell people how much I love my 9mm PX4 compact. I love it, carry it every day and have no desire to carry anything else.  My little sister loves shooting mine. It fits her hand and she can handle the recoil with ease. I would put it on the list to look at and shoot one if possible. Good luck !

#1 Would probably be the best IMO (but they are incredibly hard to find reasonably priced).  If she doesn't care about a safety, check out a Ruger LCP.  Just got my wife one in Pink :)

Where did you find it? and what's the price?

what he said but try the M&P 9mm compact , you can get it with or with out a safety
  • Like 1

Oh,goodness... The choices are, well, great...

Don't you think she ought to go with you to a range that rents pistols so she can find one that fits her the best and is the most comfortable for her to shoot?

Why i'm saying this is one of my female friends wanted a .380 bodyguard until she had the opportunity to shoot one. Looks and size aren't everything.

If it was me in your shoes, I would make her come along to the LGS and let her pick one out. Would hate for her to get something she isn't comfortable with and lose money and time on.

• Like 1

Don't you think she ought to go with you to a range that rents pistols so she can find one that fits her the best and is the most comfortable for her to shoot?

Why i'm saying this is one of my female friends wanted a .380 bodyguard until she had the opportunity to shoot one. Looks and size aren't everything.

If it was me in your shoes, I would make her come along to the LGS and let her pick one out. Would hate for her to get something she isn't comfortable with and lose money and time on.

Great point! I know Range USA in Jackson and Memphis will rent out guns. I'll do that.

I agree with Wyldk2.  My wife liked the Walther PPKS.....until she shot it that is.  After buying one for her she had trouble pulling the slide back, didn't like the weight and it just didn't fit her hand very well.  I however like it a lot and do carry it pretty often.  Funny thing.....I bought her a couple of fishing rods she didn't like either....that I like a lot. :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 1
I would agree take her to the range and let her try different guns. When she picks one she likes make a note of it. Then go back the next day or so and let her shoot it again just to make sure.

Note to self: practice what you preach and save money

you are right my wife ended up getting a Springfield EMP 40 , who would of thought !!!

I agree with Wyldk2.  My wife liked the Walther PPKS.....until she shot it that is.  After buying one for her she had trouble pulling the slide back, didn't like the weight and it just didn't fit her hand very well.  I however like it a lot and do carry it pretty often.  Funny thing.....I bought her a couple of fishing rods she didn't like either....that I like a lot. :rofl: :rofl:

This was funny too

Funny thing is, my friend liked the bodyguard and now she likes the Walther ppks. But i think she'll end up getting a shield like mine in the end.

I would agree take her to the range and let her try different guns. When she picks one she likes make a note of it. Then go back the next day or so and let her shoot it again just to make sure.

Note to self: practice what you preach and save money

Joe.... That's great!! I just about fell outta my chair when I saw it was you.

And as you no doubt know, I've done it too.

But to Goldsquare's questions...I like the Shield. No surprise there to anyone around me lately. But the M&P9c is another good choice.

Edited by hipower

I cannot recommend enough the sig p238.   Its super small, the recoil is gentle, the trigger is awesome.  It has a safety as you asked for. Reliable and accurate and perfect for a "not a gun person" woman.

Almost the exact same thing is the sig 938, which I have upgraded to (the 380 came out first).  Its a 9mm version.  Mine has been a little picky and did not like cheap practice ammo.  It has been 100% with defense ammo.   The recoil is significantly stronger and after a box of 50 my hands have had enough.  But, its that much more powerful for defense and its not "painful" to shoot for practice, just not "gentle".   I think most people can handle this version but from my experiences, it may be a little more quirky and need extra checking out before you trust yours with your life.

I cannot remember if they have a safety but 2 others that I have found to be good small carry guns are the M&P shield and the taurus 709.  Sorry but its been a while since I held either and its late to boot, total blank on the controls.

From here it just gets bigger and bigger.   Another favorite of mine is my cz rami, which holds twice as much and is twice as big as the sig. While still a small gun, its about as big as I will go for a carry gun.  It absolutely has a safety, its DA/SA style but you can get a SAO mod which produces a decent but "sloppy/combat" type trigger.  The result is light, but there is 1/4 inch or so do-nothing pre-travel, sort of glockish.

Guest Rookie_Wookie

I'd suggest trying a few at the range first, but here are a few options as a starting point:

-Sig P238

-Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact

-S&W Bodyguard

-S&W M&P Shield

Just remember that it's basically going to come down to what's comfortable for her... guide her to a choice of quality firearms, and let her maker the final selection.