Question for AK and AR owners.

rcrespo106

I keep the 4 or 5 mags I have cased with each AR loaded, but have a bunch stored unloaded too.

Hell, I have mags that may never be removed from the packaging unless The Meltdown or Revolution occurs.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I was just curious, how many mags do you generally keep loaded and ready to go just in case they would ever be needed. I have a bunch of mags and more then enough ammo to fill them. I was just wondering what most people do. 

All mine --- as said already its just better storage.  223 is annoying to store any other way.

I keep the 4 or 5 mags I have cased with each AR loaded, but have a bunch stored unloaded too.

Hell, I have mags that may never be removed from the packaging unless The Meltdown or Revolution occurs.

- OS

Wanna sale some to a fellow TGO member?!?!
I keep several loaded and have a bunch of ammo loose, mostly because I don't have enough mags quite yet.
Do you guys think there's any problem with chroniclly loaded mags and spring tension? I've never looked into it much.

Wanna sale some to a fellow TGO member?!?!
I keep several loaded and have a bunch of ammo loose, mostly because I don't have enough mags quite yet.
Do you guys think there's any problem with chroniclly loaded mags and spring tension? I've never looked into it much.

Seems like the general concences is that there is no issue leaving magazines loaded. Seems most wear and tear comes from the loading and unloading when the spring gets worked back and forth.

Jeez Louise!  Don't people know how to search anymore?  This question was just asked a few days ago, and gets asked every week on the 300,000 other gun forums out there.  We were all new once, but I wish more new folks would realize that every possible question they could think of has already been asked, answered, and discussed many times.  Every one.  You were not the first one to think of that question.  Internet's a big place.  And if you're having trouble with the forum search menu, just use Google.  Always works.

I keep 2 35 round mags loaded.  Figure if I initially need more than 70 rounds, I'm in a world of hurt anyway.  Honestly, my Saiga is not my go to HD weapon any way.  First is a revolver and a Glock, then a Remngton 870 with 00 and slugs.

Jeez Louise!  Don't people know how to search anymore?  This question was just asked a few days ago, and gets asked every week on the 300,000 other gun forums out there.  We were all new once, but I wish more new folks would realize that every possible question they could think of has already been asked, answered, and discussed many times.  Every one.  You were not the first one to think of that question.  Internet's a big place.  And if you're having trouble with the forum search menu, just use Google.  Always works.

Googling of said subject results in any mixed number of opinions ... err; rather "facts" that any number of people have reported to be true (since, of course, everything on the internet is true). For example: "chronic compression of the spring will wear it down," "always have the spring pushed down by loading it will cause the gun to malfunction when you want to shoot it," "there's no problem leaving your mags loaded all the time," "having bullets in the mag at all times will cause the springs to rust quicker," and my personal favorite "high cap mags contribute to killing people, they should be confiscated and banned." So which is it that the ever so annoying new or less experienced shooter should believe? Furthermore, if every subject has already been discussed, maybe we should lock all the forums and prevent further discussion of the matter since ... after all, the data has already been reported elsewhere and the need for further discussion should be limited to news developments ... but even that is pretty much just the same ol "government wants your guns" or "look at the newest abuse of government power" story in different wrapping every week.

Sorry if my inquiry annoyed you or wasted a few precious seconds of your day.

• 4 weeks later...

I have 12 ak74 mags loaded up with 7n6 on my plate carrier with armor in it on my closet door. I have 80ish ak47 mags in boxes loaded up and over 100 ak74 mags loaded up too. saves me storage space on my bulk ammo. every mag i have is loaded at all times 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ochretoe

I only have 2 pmags loaded and ready and 470 rounds in box's, but my AR isn't even finished yet so I guess it's all a mute point for me.