Short barrel .22

wareagle

Guys,

I want to pickup a short barell 22. I have a ruger mk-ii and a couple of revolvers. Any recommendations on a non-plastic pistol sized between a PPK and Officers model thats accurate and doesn't jam on bulk ammo??

Thx!

I have no personal experience with a Bersa, though I have a good friend who owns several and swears by them. It is my understanding they are a well kept secret of an undervalued gun, similar to CZs.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. I keep going down to Bud's to see if they will get on in .32ACP, but I won't order it, cause then I would have to buy it, instead playing dumb when it followed me home.

The Bersa is considered a PPK clone.

My wife has a cz kadet, which is a cz 75 in .22 and a very nice DA/SA gun.   It is quite accurate and mostly steel. 

You can also get a .22 upper for a 1911 or a .22 as a 1911 (be careful, several are junky).

There are several expensive guns, if you wanted to hear about the $2k stuff?

Browning makes a 1911 pattern 22 that is scaled down from GI spec. I've been wanting one for a while now just haven't had a "need" yet.

Having said that, I love my sr22 very accurate, super reliable, eats the cheap stuff like candy. Not quite as small as your looking for but the extra size is worth it IMO.

Depends on your goals the Beretta Bobcot will do the job.  However, if you don't mind just a bit more size the Taurus PLY22 works nicely.  I don't recommend the Taurus PT22 which is the clone of the Beretta Bobcat.  If you have serious money and like revolvers both the S&W 317 and 43C are great .22LR S&W Airweights.  Other than that the Ruger LCR is nice enough but I don't like the action in fast shooting compared to the S&W 317 & 43c.  From personal experience I think the Bersa 9mm and ..45 are great, but the .380s not quite up to par with the big boys.  I have to think the .22 version has to be more like the .380 than the 9 or the .45.  If it has to be a small .22 that is affordable and reliable I would go Taurus PLY22 first, and a little more pocket friendly is the Beretta Bobcat.  No. 3 would be the 43C and No. 4 would be the 317 but these guns cost more money than really makes sense.  Avoid the Rohms and the RGs.  Cheapest but works is likely some smaller H&Rs, but no longer produced.  Nest up in size is the potmetal Walther P22 which works pretty nice and then the Ruger SR22 if you can find one.  IMHO avoid the Sig Mosquito (too big and poor action) like the plague, which is another pot metal gun that has one of the poorest DA triggers in gundom.