22 needs a new crown

rab

I sure hope this is the correct place to ask this question. I have a CZ 22 and having problems getting a good group at 50 yds. After shooting I don't see the powder ring around the crown like on my Remington or my Ruger does this sound like it could need a recrown. If so does any one know who can do this around the Tri-Citys

Thanks in Advance

I have never had a CZ 452/453 that wouldn't shoot. I doubt seriously it is the crown on the rifle. If scoped check your bases, rings and scope, Try different ammo, how does it group at 25, Any info would be helpful.

I have had 3 CZ 452s.  They all shot well.  It is possible it needs a crown but I agree with the person who posted the above.  

I have never had a CZ 452/453 that wouldn't shoot. I doubt seriously it is the crown on the rifle. If scoped check your bases, rings and scope, Try different ammo, how does it group at 25, Any info would be helpful.

I have had 3 CZ 452s.  They all shot well.  It is possible it needs a crown but I agree with the person who posted the above.  

I have had three different scopes on this rifle 1st a weaver 2-7.   2nd Nikon 3-9 and third is a Mueller 8.5-25. The rings are stock CZ's.  I have only had bulk and some low price ammo to use,they were Remington Winchester and American Eagle both 36 and 40 gr. I can shoot the same ammo in my Remington 541T and cover the group with a dime at 50 yds that off a bench with both front and rear bags. I have changed out the trigger spring and shimmed the sear with a Yo- Dave kit,Very nice trigger pull and still this gun will not group at 50 yds. Some times three very close and two out 1/2 to 3/4 in and sometime three will be way out , just don't know for every one I speak with says this gun should shoot better groups. Thanks for some help or some suggestions.

it may not like that ammo.  Some guns are picky and .22 in particular comes in a lot of flavors and some guns just do better with some brands.  It could also be heating up or something, some guns will move their group as subsequent shots heat up the barrel.

The only time a gun usually needs a new crown are when it is on towards being worn out or if it has been banged up (or, rare in a quality gun, it may have a defect). 

It could need a new crown.  But I would be very sure before I did it -- if you do surgery on the wrong thing, you risk messing it up or paying money to achieve nothing at all. 

Are you getting stringing or just just all over the place? Like posted above, try some different ammo. Some guns like one thing and another likes something else.

No they are not stringer. They will be wide left or right and mostly high. the Barrel is free floated back to the barrel lug

Sounds like you have a bedding problem. You look at a crown and get a good idea of it's condition. If the machine tool marks are concentric, probably so fine you can't see them, there are no knicks or gouges, no burrs and the chamfer is even. One old trick is to drag a cotton ball over the muzzle and see if any burrs grab some cotton.

But I have to agree with Leroy, sounds like a bedding issue, I would start by floating the barrel.

452 Varmint...hmmmm... I  would get some standard velocity ammo and a friend who is a great or good shooter and run that gun on decent bags.  That thing should shoot nice. It is possible something is amiss but I'm thinking you should try and find ammo it likes.  Just because your other .22s shoot decently with the inexpensive ammo you mentioned it doesn't mean your CZ will too.  Unfortunately this is not the time to try and find ammo a .22 rifle likes.  Maybe it needs to go into the safe for a while until ammo is more plentiful. I do like that barrel on the Varmints.  I checked one out at Whittakers several weeks ago.