Worth buying a new 22lr pistol

Joe357

I think so, but can't awnser that for you. 22 pistols are usually inexpensive, and you can get pretty good quality for 300-400 new. Yes the ammo is hard to find now, but maybe that can get you a better price on a good 22 pistol.

Of course you cold try for a conversion kit for your current pistol....lol. but they're pretty hard to come by now as well. :stunned:

I have to believe that we will come out of this...and 22 rounds will be available again. The alternative is just too depressing.

Edited by hipower

I would not buy a ,22 now unless I had ample ammo. Stuff is too hard to come by, the pistol will still be there.

Had a friend give me similar advise about buying an ar15. I came across a deal on the rifle (pre crazy price) and in the three weeks since purchasing it, I've managed to acquire 1700 rounds of 223 to go with it. Ammo is out there, you just have to look hard.

Winchester and Federal .22 ammo have been showing up relatively frequently on gunbot.  Usually from $.04-.06 per round.  When you see it, grab it as it sells out quickly.  As supplies build up, you will start seeing it in stores again. 

As for getting a .22 pistol, go for it!  If you see what you want at a decent price, get it.  Ammo may be hard to find right now, but nobody is talking about restricting .22 ammo, so it will be least affected by whatever might happen in the future.  the pistol you want MAY be affected by legislation, so you should probably move sooner rather than later.

Edited by 1gewehr
  • Like 1

looks like you are between a rock and a hard place.  22 pistol now with no ammo to be found.  or wait to find ammo and then no 22 pistol to be found.  i would get the gun then go on a hunt for ammo.  but i am a hard head and will not pay the over price that some are asking for 22 ammo.  

I dont understand the concept of not buying something because you can't currently find its components. I understand that a gun is useless without ammo. Where I work I've seen on multiple occasions people back out of buying reloading presses bc they can't find .223 dies. As far as I know the politicians aren't after ammo (yet) so eventually it's going to come back around or you'll find some at another store.

I bought a Sig 1911-22 a few weeks ago, my first .22 handgun in several years. I didn't have a ton of ammo. I found a few high priced bricks and shot them. I've scrounged some more up here and there... You can find ammo if you search hard enough. Wait for Academy to open on shipping days a few times and you'll find some.

The 22 I am looking at is a sig 1911 22. Most likely two (one for me and one for the wife). I know it is made by gsg but it comes with a life time warranty.
Yes Larry,
I know what you're going to say another sig big surprise ;)

I think it all depends on what you have already. Ammo is going to come back at some point. I would like to buy a new 22 pistol if I wasn't holding tight to my cash for a walther PPS but I only have one .22 pistol and its a mark 2.

A 22 is next on my list

Guest RevScottie
The problem is a lot of .22 pistols (non revolvers) are picky about ammo. Buy something that will only shoot CCI or such reliably and you may find yourself frustrated because of ammo availability if you have to find specific brands in stock.
Thank you all for the replies.
I am not going to be buying a 22 pistol at this point until 22 ammo is readily available and I have get at least 2000 rounds to play with for a start. A 22 to me is a fun gun not something I need. I have other guns I can shoot and have ammo for, just a lot more expensive to shoot.

When the 22 ammo is a available the pistol(s) I will be getting are sig 1911's. Edited by joesig
It's hard to say. I actually found .22lr at a pawn shop in N Ga yesterday, but I decided I didnt need any. I thought about it and when I saw some at Sportsmans last night I bought a box. 100 Remington hyper velocity for $10

I downloaded the walmart app on my phone and kept searching "22" when I got up each morning until one day (after about a week) for my local store it said "in stock", went there before work (7 am) and bought 2 bricks of it...

I'd say get the pistol, because of the ammo issue they're less expensive right now and easier to find, I got a new ruger 22/45 MKIII at the gun show for 300 out the door after tax background check and all...

I have a 100rd box of mini mags I could probably spare. Been so long since I've seen em in stores I forgot what they cost. Only stipulation is if you run across any more down the road you have to sell me some back. Or if you find spare mags for sale anywhere you have to tell me about them.

A funny thing about the Sig 1911-22, there is a rebate coupon in the package for xx dollars back when you buy 3 packs of Mini Mags, hahaha. They've saved a bundle on that deal.

Thank you for the offer on the ammo JWC. I just bought 2 bricks of ammo. It was a hard search took me 20 minutes and a call to AL.

If I come across any mag's I let you know. For now money is tight so I got the word from the boss. NO MORE SPENDING this month. The even honey I saved so much money didn't work. :surrender:  

Joe

Edited by joesig