Derringers, who ownes them and who carries them?

Mykltn

I am a true fan of Derringers. I own a Bond Arms 45/410 and an American Derringer Double Action .38 SPL. Both are carried often as BUGs. The Bond even has an interchangeable. 45acp barrel so it can back up for my 1911. This post is to see who else owns and carries derringers and why. Post photos if you like. Thanks. Edited by Mykltn
I often carry a NAA mini-mag, not quite a derringer but along the same lines. I do have a Cobra 32h&r mag derringer that I have carried a few times. It is really a stash gun and a gun to keep around just to have something to shoot 4 different chamberings of .32. The .32H&R mag in a locked breech chamber without A cylinder gap makes for a very controllable but hard punching round.
My dream derringer would be a DA American derringer or DA Hi Standard. All of these guns are BUGs obviously.

I often carry a NAA mini-mag, not quite a derringer but along the same lines. I do have a Cobra 32h&r mag derringer that I have carried a few times. It is really a stash gun and a gun to keep around just to have something to shoot 4 different chamberings of .32. The .32H&R mag in a locked breech chamber without A cylinder gap makes for a very controllable but hard punching round.
My dream derringer would be a DA American derringer or DA Hi Standard. All of these guns are BUGs obviously.

I've got the NAA in .22 mag with the extra .22lr cylinder and 1 5/8 barrel. I also have the NAA .22lr in 1 1/8 barrel with stag grips and belt buckle holster. I would definitely consider them derringers. You dream Derringer (American Derringer DA38) has been a primary back up for me since getting it last summer. Its a great shooter.

20121123_205311.jpg

I've got a Bond Arms Snake Slayer I carry in my 4 wheeler on my property.  Just in case.

Bonds are built like a tank. I've got the driving holster for my snake slayer and wear it on road trips in the car and on my motorcycle.

My main carry gun varies by season (9mm in the summer months, 45ACP in the cooler months),  but regardless of what my carry weapon is, I always have my NAA Black Widow (.22WMR) loaded with Hornady Critical Defense as a last-resort gun. Walking out the front door without my Black Widow is like walking out with my fly open.

I love my NAA .22 mag. Whenever I need to be discreet, the NAA fills the bill.

It's hard to find a reason why you can't conceal an NAA. I've even carried my .22lr with the 1 1/8 barrel in the watch pocket of my jeans.

A little NAA is on my list of guns to have.  The only derringer I have ever owned was a little Hi-Standard in .22 Mag.   Nice little piece for what it was.  I sold if back in the 90's.  It was actually one of the pistols I have regretted selling over the years.  At the time, I didn't have much use for it. My thoughts on concealed carry have changed over the years.

My thoughts on concealed carry have changed over the years.

Isn't it funny how that changes with age. Shooting a friends Hi Standard .22 was the catalyst that's started my search for the American Derringer DA38. I understand your regret in selling it.

I had a Cobra in .38, one of the few guns I've ever sold off:

cobra.jpg

Heavy, barely could cock one handed, 50 lb trigger pull, possible to fire when loading if not on half cock, might hit COM up to 10 feet.  Other than that, fine little firearm, always went boom. :)

- OS

I've got a couple .22WMR derringers, but don't carry them. I got them for a good price, but neither of them are from high quality manufacturers. I would like to find some quality ones, but the prices are usually more than I want to spend when I come across them. I do like unique guns, so that's why I picked this one up.  

2yysbad.jpg

The three barrel is cool. I had a Davis .32 years ago that I carried when delivering pizza. I also had a cobra (I believe they bought out Davis) in .38 that I sold to a friend. Both are not what I'd call high quality but they always went bang and I could trust them when needed. I need to find a bond arms frame to mount my .45 cap barrel on as I'm tired of swapping it onto the snake slayer. I'm lazy like that. Lol

I've got a Bond Arms 3.5 45 colt/410 that i picked up from another member here on TGO.  They are a great thing; and i like the flat sides. I keep (...and sometimes carry...) mine in a D. M. Bullard iwb holster; and it works great.  The only problem with these beasts is that they are basically a two shot weapon that weighs nearly the same as my baby glocks or a k frame smith. 

All that bein said; they are a thing of beauty and a genuine work of art.  Their quality cant be beat.  More than that; they've got a helluva bite for the first two shots.  Most likely, that would be all ya would need.  They are the ultimate derringer.

leroy

The only problem with these beasts is that they are basically a two shot weapon that weighs nearly the same as my baby glocks or a k frame smith.

That's the problem with them. Well, that and they recoil like crazy in anything over .22.  They make airweight revolvers seem positively pleasant to shoot.  I'm sure they served a purpose at one point, but J frame revolvers, subcompact autos like the Kahrs, Ruger LCP/LC9 & their brethren have taken over that niche.

That's not to say that there's anything wrong with wanting one just because you like them and think they're cool.

I still have my trusty Hi Standard...it's been my little buddy a very long time ...

I'm a big fan of the Hi Standard. Great back up gun. As I said before, the Hi Standard was what started my search for the American Derringer DA38. Just wish I could have found the DA in 357 mag. That'd have been a sweet BUG.