Cabelas has .22 in stock now.

Just ordered me two Bucket Of Bullets Remington 1400rds for $59.99 and they also had 1500rd boxes of CCI Tactical in stock for $99.99 Better hurry!!!

btw, thanks for posting.  hopefully, i'll catch some in stock soon!

Guest kj4gxu

I have a theory about the .22 drought.  My thought is that it is a result of the run on the larger calibers.  I figure people would go for a larger caliber but when they found it out of stock the thought process would be "Well I've got to leave with something" so they'd grab some .22.  This would result in higher demand on 22 and lower stock on shelves.   The more this happened the higher demand went until .22 stocks started to run lower and lower.  When people started to see .22 stocks beginning to run low they began to believe that there was a .22 shortage too so they started buying up any .22 they could get their hands on to safeguard against the impending shortage and thus creating the feared .22 shortage.

Of course this is all entirely the conjecture of a relative newbie to the firearms world and is probably completely wrong.

That went fast. I'm running two computer's at work. one ammo shopping and second to do my job. Cabels had nothing right before lunch,30 min later they had the Remington. I odered two buckets (yes,I really needed it).As soon as I ordered I figured I better let you guys know. In the middle of my post the CCI came on. So withen two minutes of the CCI popping up I had it posted and withen like 4 minutes it was gone. Crazy.

Wow. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the .22 drought. It makes no sense.

Ditto for me. 

I could understand it if I was getting to the store late and 25 people in front of me bought up everything, but it makes no sense that when Walmart (as I've seen with my own eyes) opens up their shipment of ammo and inside is one lousy box of 525 rounds for the whole store.

Thanks for posting the head's up Blizzard. :up:

It's remarkable how fast ammo goes online...You pretty much have to have an account set up...be logged in...see the ammo...and place the order...then breath. :cool:

But at least there is some ammo and reloading supplies starting to trickle in.

I have a theory about the .22 drought.  My thought is that it is a result of the run on the larger calibers.  I figure people would go for a larger caliber but when they found it out of stock the thought process would be "Well I've got to leave with something" so they'd grab some .22.  This would result in higher demand on 22 and lower stock on shelves.   The more this happened the higher demand went until .22 stocks started to run lower and lower.  When people started to see .22 stocks beginning to run low they began to believe that there was a .22 shortage too so they started buying up any .22 they could get their hands on to safeguard against the impending shortage and thus creating the feared .22 shortage.
Of course this is all entirely the conjecture of a relative newbie to the firearms world and is probably completely wrong.

I think you are correct, but it is still crazy. I run the risk of being a part of the problem now, and not because I'm panicked. See, I would like to get some shooting done this spring. I don't keep stock on non-SHTF calibers, so I only keep stock on 5.56, 5.45 and 7.62. The ammo prices will keep me from shooting them until things get normal again, because my concern with shooting is my ability to replace the ammo I've shot. With .22 I never worry because it is always there. Now that I want to shoot .22 and it's not there, I feel as if I need to purchase enough of it to ensure I never get caught in this situation again, thus contributing to the shortage by buying a higher amount of .22 than I normally would so I can go shooting with confidence that I won't run out of ammo. Ugh...

TMF;

I think your concerns mirror the concerns of the majority here.

I know I have a personal baseline of stored ammo that I am not comfortable going below. For each of us that is a relative number as we each have a set of perceived needs.

I too am shooting more .22 than is my norm. It's my chosen method for skills maintenance.

I reload, and have a decent supply of components. But when availability is a challenge (understatement) it certainly increases anxiety for folks.

I believe your theory is spot on kj4 :up: