Help me understand the desire for trading guns

This has bothered me for a long time and I've never been able to understand it.  I look at gun classifieds and there are guns I see that I'm interested in but the owner is only looking to trade.  I understand it's your gun and you have the right to do what you want.  I'm just trying to understand the reasoning. 

I'm not interested in getting rid of any guns in my collection but I'm always interested in adding guns.  I've never had a gun I didn't like.  Well, maybe a Cobra derringer but there's a story that goes with it that makes it worth keeping.  Anyway, what's wrong with trading for cash?  If I were to decide to get rid of a gun, I may trade it for the right deal but if I get cash for it, I can buy what I want.  Is there some benefit to trading that I'm missing?  Is it because people don't know what to ask for in cash?  This just baffles me.  Can someone explain what I'm missing here?  

Lots of us, myself included, can't immediately afford all the guns we want, but we want to try them all. My personal protection piece and my home protection piece are never offered for trade, but I have a variety of "safe queens" that while are fine guns, are available for trade if I find something more interesting than what I have now. Besides that, its the art of the deal. Can you negotiate for a piece that is more interesting or more fun than what you have now? I think trading is a great thing. I own several, and other than the two pieces mentioned above, they have all been traded for and probably will be traded in the future.

• Like 1
Lately I think it has been two reasons.

People want to get a high trade value but don't want to gouge for high cash (or be seen doing it).

Also, trading for guns/ammo/components that might not be available to buy right now so a trade is how they secure that AR/AK/10000 primers/etc that they want more than cash.

Before the crazy time that we are in, I saw a lot less of the trade only ads. Most were willing to post a cash price at least after a few days.

Trades are usually negotiated from current market price new or what was actually paid for the item.

Cash equals the price for what the item sells for used. Most time there is more value added when you trade.

This does not apply to houses and cars. LOL

Like you I usually like to pay cash. The above is how I see it. :usa:

Lots of us, myself included, can't immediately afford all the guns we want, but we want to try them all. My personal protection piece and my home protection piece are never offered for trade, but I have a variety of "safe queens" that while are fine guns, are available for trade if I find something more interesting than what I have now. Besides that, its the art of the deal. Can you negotiate for a piece that is more interesting or more fun than what you have now? I think trading is a great thing. I own several, and other than the two pieces mentioned above, they have all been traded for and probably will be traded in the future.

Trading is fun and I have to maintain an equilibrium in my safe. If I get rid of a gun it must be replaced or the balance will be off and my safe will fall through the floor or something equally disastrous:-)

That's what I tell my wife... Edited by Romad7
  • Like 1
Sometimes what you are looking for isn't posted for sale anywhere. Sure, you could sell yours and post a WTB thread, but then you're waiting for a response that may never come.

I've traded guns before and been very happy with the deal I got. Before seeing the trade offer, I wasn't even considering selling mine, so I never looked for a WTB ad that matched what I had. Luckily, I saw something I wanted and had something the other guy was looking for.

The dollar continues to depreciate, if I sell a gun today I may not be able to buy the equivelent tomorrow with the same cash. But I can swap for something I value the same. The guns and ammo are worth more than the cash value placed on them.

My 2c.

The barder system has been in place for many years.. Long before the "federal note" came into play (which for the record is not worth the paper its printed on). But thats another topic.. Its a much better means of transfer than cash. I too also have most of the weapons I'v purchased over the years or that have been handed down in my family. My .02 on the trading.. Its easier to trade for what you want in todays time than trying to find it in the common marketplace.. In my experience it is easier to negotiate a trade than cash price with someone..   

• Like 1
This day and age you are better off trading for hard to find items that have been hyperinflated due to the political arena. For instance, I was at the gun show and saw a vendor with some Saiga 12 drums for $249 each. I had a couple of Glock 33 round mags I was looking to get rid of. I only had $60 between the two of them, but traded straight up for a drum that even in November sold for $99. The vendor was happy and so was I.

I think it also has to do with people understanding what there items are now worth, but being too ashamed to utter a $400 price for a stripped lower or $50 for a bulk box of 22lr.
  • Like 1

Right now I believe availability is a factor.  A lot of people are asking stupid prices for their used guns right now.  If I want to buy a different handgun, I may not be certain how easy it is to locate and if the seller is expecting to sell it at a "panic" price.  For instance I have a 4th Gen Glock 27 and although I like Glocks and I like .40; I think I like 9mm a little better in the subcompacts.  I'm reluctant to sell my 27 since I've not seen many 4th Gen 26 models available lately and I don't dislike my 27.  

This is a trend I've seen on the various forums lately: Very specific trade requests.  For example: Bubba has a 1911 and after shooting Johnny's Sig P226, he decides he's not that comfortable with "cocked and locked" for carry.  Due to the political climate he can't find a Sig P226 in stores and the only ones online are priced very high due to coming with standard capacity magazines (the ones the guns are designed for, not low capacity 10 round magazines).  Since Bubba doesn't really know what he might have to pay for a Sig right now, he posts an ad for trade only.    

Edited by JReedEsq

The dollar continues to depreciate, if I sell a gun today I may not be able to buy the equivelent tomorrow with the same cash. But I can swap for something I value the same. The guns and ammo are worth more than the cash value placed on them.

My 2c.

Pretty much, I have been looking for a particular gun. I will post a WTT add offering a piece that I will only want to get rid of if I find that specific, desired gun to replace it. If I sell my particular firearm but I am not able to find the one to replace it I am without.

I have a set amount of guns that are off limits for whatever reason, personal or heirlooms etc.  Then i have a few guns that i trade in and out of on a regular basis.  Just depends on what the flavor of the month is for me at that time.  I rarely sell unless there is one for sell i can aquire immediately after the transaction.  I have a set amount of guns and if i sell for cash i end up spending on something else sometimes.  That is my reasoning for trade only ususally.

this has probably already been said, i just skipped to the reply box to voice my opinion.

I myself dont do a whole lot of trading. Ive only traded on guns two  times in my life so far that i can think of. I get to attached to them. Even my old milsurp guns (sks's, mosin's of different varieties, etc) i cant trade off. I would rather just save up and buy what i want, then I will have it all lol. Some guys that trade alot dont get attached to their guns like i do, and trade alot so they can try new ones. thats my opinion on it anyway 

• Like 1

I think it also has to do with people understanding what there items are now worth, but being too ashamed to utter a $400 price for a stripped lower or $50 for a bulk box of 22lr.

I think this is it right here. I'll be damned if I'm going to sell a firearm for twice what it's worth. We all know that things will get back to normal soon, and I can't look myself in the mirror gouging a guy. With that said, it puts folks like me in a hard spot if they're selling something in order to buy something else. Trading allows for a fair deal all around without having to feel guilty about selling at an inflated price.

* I think if you offered *enough* cash to a trade only poster, you would get the gun.    But you may not like the cash price .......   There is nothing in my safe I would not part with for 10k, and some for half that.....

Guest 6.8 AR

Some folks place their value on something other than the old greenback. They probably have a better grasp

of what value really is, also. Although I don't do many trades, here or anywhere, I see a time when it could be

necessary, due to a failed currency that is backed by who knows what and is printed in quantity.

Some folks place their value on something other than the old greenback. They probably have a better grasp

of what value really is, also. Although I don't do many trades, here or anywhere, I see a time when it could be

necessary, due to a failed currency that is backed by who knows what and is printed in quantity.

people stock up on gold....why? what is a gold bar going to do if the dung hits the fan?   Ammo, Guns, food.......that is what is important to me I would think.  Maybe a back yard dentist if i need a gold tooth ......

people stock up on gold....why? what is a gold bar going to do if the dung hits the fan?   Ammo, Guns, food.......that is what is important to me I would think.  Maybe a back yard dentist if i need a gold tooth ......

gold is virtually identical to lead.....  if it came to that...

Edited by Jonnin

haven't read the entire thread so ... sorry if I'm duplicating ...

I don't personally like to trade stuff, I just like to add to my collection, but I think a lot of people probably have the "stable" collection they won't get rid of, and then those that are interesting, but just want to try another gun out.  I myself know that I own quite a "boring" selection of guns (glocks, ar-15, and a shot gun).  I wouldn't let any of them go, but if I ever bought a peice just because it was interesting, I'd probably be up for trading for something equally as interesting, just to see what it was like.  It's a way to try out other guns before you invest your cold hard cash into them; especially runs most ranges won't have up for a rental.

That's not hard to answer.  I've bought guns and gotten tired of them, or didn't like the fit.  I've bought guns that were a super good deal, then traded them for something else later on that I really had to have. I have a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington that I bought brand new years ago and hunted with about 3 years.  It's been in my safe for 25 years and I've put it up on the board.  I simply can't hunt anymore, I'm 60 years old and don't want it. So I'm trying to trade or sell it to get something else I might want. As with anything, want's change, needs change, hobbies change like bulls-eye match to bench rest, to skeet, to cowboy shooting,  each requiring a different type of gun.  Tons of reasons to trade.

I figured today's stupid prices had something to do with all the trading.  I couldn't ask $600 for a $400 gun with a clear conscience either.  There are several guns I'm watching out for but I just couldn't trade away anything I have.  My guns are like part of my family.  I've bonded with each of them and I can't think of one I would sell for anything in the neighborhood of what I have in them, let alone trade one off.  Just as I couldn't imagine trading one of my dogs off for a different dog.  Maybe I'm just too sentimental. 

I have traded one gun.  I traded a spiffed up RIA Tactical for an excellent condition 1873 Springfield Trapdoor rifle.  The trade was with my uncle and I had been trying to get him to sell me the Springfield for some time.  He's an 82 year old Marine and he really wanted a 1911 so we traded.  I only went for it because I still have visitation rights and get to see my 1911 any time I want to and he can visit the Trapdoor.  I am looking to BUY a replacement though.  I'm thinking an STI Spartan ought to fill the empty spot in my heart, and my safe.

Edited by Motasyco