Letter from TN Sheriffs' Association in Mail Today

Have any of you received a letter from the TN Sheriffs' Association? Mine came in the mail today. The first line of the letter states, As a Handgun Carry Permit holder we know that you are a law abiding citizen, and worried about crime in Tennessee.

The letter goes on to offer me a $20 a year membership, 10% off things I may purchase from them, two decals for my car, and an "exclusive membership card with a firearm symbol identifying you as a Handgun Carry Permit holder in TN." They also ask for my handgun carry permit number.

I'm sorry, but WTF is this all about?

Apparently lists of handgun permit holders are sold as a mailing list.

Why do I want to be a member of this group.

Have any of you received this letter? What are your thoughts?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one as well. I'm sure they pulled our names from the HCP list and mailed away.

Again...protecting our rights one payment at a time...thanks again Naifeh

mine went into the shredder

Guest eyebedam

They find a way to sell every aspect of you to companies. I would sign the Sheriff up for free info & catalogs for Hair Club for men & AARP. He will get something in the mail everyday for atleast 6 months.

Well said. I got one today also, but had not looked at it until I saw this thread. Since Kent Coleman is my Representative, I think I'll send him a little letter.

Guest shortfri

My wife got one but i didn't. Which makes me wonder.

1 Is this something only people with newer permits are getting.

2 are they trying to save a stamp?

3 Did the post office forget we are at the same address?

Either way i feel that somehow everyone that does get one is somehow getting their rights violated.

Guest shortfri
I had one as well. I'm sure they pulled our names from the HCP list and mailed away.

mine went into the shredder

Is this a list where we could view, (and if it is could someone please provide a link. I can't find it on dept of safty web site) or is it a list only they view.

The reason for my concern is when working with a vol fire dept we had a group trying to get us to let them raise money for us. They got to keep 75% of everything raised for them. You wouldn't believe how many police and fire depts in Tn used these guys. So basically what i'm wondering is if the dept of safty or another agency provided a telemarket group with people that carry addresses. Or if the Sheriffs association pulled it theirselves.

Edited by shortfri
Guest bkelm18
Is this a list where we could view, (and if it is could someone please provide a link. I can't find it on dept of safty web site) or is it a list only they view

I'm certain its not an open to the public list. Maybe if you submit a Freedom of Information Act request, but still doubtful.

Guest jackdog

received two letters today, one for each permit holder. HMMM 40.00 bucks, not going to happen. Why would I want to advertise that I carry? Then again those that cherish the HCP badge will probably send in their money.

Guest stovepipe

But, guys, don't any of you want the "exclusive membership card with a firearm symbol identifying you as a Handgun Carry Permit holder in Tennessee?"

Stove

Guest db99wj
But, guys, don't any of you want the "exclusive membership card with a firearm symbol identifying you as a Handgun Carry Permit holder in Tennessee?"

Stove

Exactly, put it in one of those clear plastic credentials holder that go around your neck and it will match your HCP badge perfectly. That would be fabulous!

Guest nraforlife

My wife and I both got letters from this association asking us to join. Letter starts out 'As a Handgun Carry Permit holder'

Are they really friend or foe?

Guest canynracer

WooooHoooo...I got one today....cant WAIT till I get the license plate, decals, and the really swell ID card that IDENTIFIES me as a permit holder!!! I am soooooooooooooooo excited!!!!