Ammo Malfunction - 7.7 Jap

Had a strange experience this weekend at the range, and was curious if anyone had any idea what would cause this.  I was shooting my Type 99 Arisaka with some ammo from Graf and Sons.  2 out of the 4 rounds I tried misfired.  The primer seemed to go off, though I never heard anything other than the firing pin click.  The bullet was pushed from the case and lodged in the barrel, but none of the power ignited.  The power seemed clumped together, but I'm not sure if that's normal.

Is this just bad ammo?

image.jpeg

photo.JPG

I would stop shooting that stuff and tear it all down. Reprime and charge with a new, fresh, known powder and reseat.

IF, you were to do just what has happened AND then the powder ignite, you'd have a SEE condition. 'Secondary Explosive Effect'. It's rare but BAD. Basically, the primer shoves the bullet intot the bore before ignition and the bullet then becomes a bore obstruction of sorts. I have seen 98 mausers in pieces over such and the 98 is a tank!

Be safe, and stop now. The brass and bullet is good, start over.

you should be able to keep the primers too, right?  If a dud, its a dud.  if live, new powder and it works right.   They may be corrosive, but I see no harm in using them.

They're PPU cases which should N/C boxer primed. For the price of a primer, 'I' wouldn't leave anything to chance.

Anybody in the Brentwood area able to reload these, then?  I don't have the equipment or know how at the moment.

Ohhhh. Same on me for assuming. I have a bad habit of assuming everyone reloads. Sorry.

I'd be calling Grafs and complaining then.

No problem at all.  I sent an email and waiting to see what I get back.  Probably nothing positive.  :mad:

I would not be so sure.  They are probably very happy to not be trying to replace your rifle or your head or something should you have fired a second, live round after that one.  I bet you get a replacement box soon as they can get it to you.

Edited by Jonnin

I would not be so sure.  They are probably very happy to not be trying to replace your rifle or your head or something should you have fired a second, live round after that one.  I bet you get a replacement box soon as they can get it to you.

Right.  Most ammo manufacturers are very easy to deal with regarding defective ammo.  Especially when you're not calling from the hospital saying your $2000 gun blew up. 

Graf & Son's are a good group of folks, I'm sure they'll set it right, if not let us know & we can do an email campaign until they do.

Ammunition is scarce across the board at the moment though so it might take them awhile to get a new batch to you.

Graf & Son's are a good group of folks, I'm sure they'll set it right, if not let us know & we can do an email campaign until they do.
Ammunition is scarce across the board at the moment though so it might take them awhile to get a new batch to you.

Sportsmans guide is sending FedEx to pick up the ammo on their dime and is going to issue a refund. Good response by them but its still too bad there's no more in stock. Looks like I'm going to have to start reloading my own.