Which rifle will be the best all around?

Spots

Which rifle would be best?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Given the info in the post wh8ch rifle should I choose

• Keep the AR-15
    • Sell AR and buy Ruger Gunsite scout

....and let me go back the cartridge you have on hand. What twist rate is you current upper? You know why some complaints are made about the 223's effectiveness? What do you expect a 55g FMJ to do??? We are not bound by the Hague convention ( it isn't the Geneva convention like some think) you can use anything the market offers. If you're running a 1/9 or faster twist you should be running a heavier bullet. I'm not a fan of super heavy stuff in super fast twists but a 60-75g vmax or Amax is devastating. Nosler makes a 60g partition that will expand and penetrate deep without fragmenting. The options are overwhelming.

Most of the 223 haters probably have never experimented with anything more than some cheap ass brown bear russin junk. I would have no qualms about using my AR and say a 62g Barnes TSX for deer.
I wouldn't trade my AR for three of any Ruger rifles.

The deer in TN can be easily taken with .223. Get a .300 blackout as suggested if the small caliber makes you uncomfortable. The whole DI is unreliable and finicky is overblown.

If its an apocalyptic type of one gun to rule them all situation .223 has tons of advantages, availability being foremost and if your reloading its basically twice the powder for one round of .308. So sustainability is another. Size and portability is excellent. Sling an AR and carry it around all day, then borrow someone's .308 and do the same (your mind will be made up quickly).

With all that said I love the .308 I have several in bolt (remington and savage really not a Ruger non .22 rifle fan), and a .308 AR which is the best of all worlds IMO. No one gun will truly do it all; the .308 AR is pretty close though (other than weight and the powder hog issue...).

I vote BOTH. Why would a gun guy limit himself to one rifle? I finally got around to buying an AR15. As I thought before I bought it, it really just ain't my thing. It does what it was designed to do, but I personally have little use for it. However, I own it, it doesn't eat anything, and I see no reason to part with it. Who knows what the future holds?

For me it simply came down to defensive application and combat load weight so I voted AR.  I like 'em both pretty equally for their strengths, so I see your dilemma.  In an absolute worst case, SHTF scenario, I'd have confidence that if I had an AR and someone else had a bolt, the odds would be pretty good that I'd have an AR and a bolt (depending upon the tactical advantages/disadvantages of the parties' positions, of course).  For game gathering the 5.56/.223 seems to have a bit broader bell curve for application. also.  Add in a .22 conversion that curve just gets bigger; and I doubt the hunting would necessarily occur within the 'typical' TWRA rules set (night hunting, opportunism, etc.).....headshot freezer-meat deer go down pretty reliably from either .22 or 5.56/.223.  I just feel like the weapon would make you a better 'weapon collector' in a SHTF scenario.

I won't attempt to quote everyone while on my phone, but thank you to everyone for the opinons. I have decided to keep the AR. One because it will be easier to find a bolt gun like the scout cheaper in the future. Two because after 5 years using an M16a4 I am very familiar with the ergos of the AR, as well as how to keep it running in some nasty conditons. I do plan to get setup to reload and add a 300 blackout upper and supressor to my safe to make the gun more versatile, as well as a decent .22 upper to supplement my bolt action .22.

Casper to answer your question on twist its a 1:7 twist rifle. What would you guys reccomend for a deer load? I plan to let nephew hunt with it this year as its the only rifle we have that'll fit him.

For thise that asked why not more than one rifle? My plan is to eventually own both an ar and a gunsite scout. But at the present time I am very tightly budgeted and can only afford one rifle at a time.

Thank you to everyone for the opinons

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere

Have you considered an M14? It seems to have all the features you want from both rifles.

Yeah but the closest thing to that I can find is the Springfield 1MA which is impossible to find right now. Does anyone have experince with them? And are M14's readily availably und3r normal condotions.

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere
Guest HvyMtl

Glad you made a choice.  Besides, if you already own it, you will regret letting it go.

I am not an AR15 fan, either.  Bolt actions make you think your shots out more... And can lead to you being a better shot.  Valid points on the shtf senario: Smaller bullet = better chances at smaller game.  Also, think ammo.  What would be more likely available in your area in a SHTF senario?   5.56 or a hunting round?

I plan to let nephew hunt with it this year .

The first time I read that I missed the "let".  I thought whoa!  You didn't mention that when we met =P

I didn't vote...and you got the AR from me!  But I know how it is to have an "itch" for a certain gun.  I do think you'd love a 300 BLK and the AR gives you that option for nothing more than the cost of a barrel and some ammo.  Barrels can be had for under $200.  You may need a pistol length gas tube if you go that route.  That is $10. 

But I love 308 too, my SCAR eats a lot of it! 

For me it really just comes down to bolt vs. semi, and if I could have only one, it would be semi every time. 

Edited by atlas3025

A lot of firepower downrange in a hurry...exactly what you don't want...after two or three you better be moving...if we're talking about "situations"  The more you shoot...the less ammo you have to protect that pricy pickup, with the wife and kiddies sitting in it...praying you're a better shot than the three guys shooting at them from widely spaced hiding places.

I remember seeing a 60 minutes about an Olympic marksman who might take all day to send one downtown and be moving practically before the 22 long rifle bullet left the barrel...that was in Bosnia.  Defense baby defense.  Sometimes the best defense is a good plan of offense.