Shield rear sights are sharp!

Guest Mbeck

Guest Mbeck

So, I just got my .40 shield and am loving it, but one thing that bothers me is the sharpness of the rear sights. I feel them sometimes when carrying inside the belt, and am concerned about them getting hung up when I try to draw. What can I do about it? File them down?ymuzuzu4.jpg

I have a full size M & P .40 and I thought the same thing. My daughter heard me talking about it and said "If your belly didn't hang over, you might not feel it" ....................Well, I really had to laugh, cause she was right! :)

• Like 2

Shields are nice, even the .40's have little to no recoil.

I look forward to confirming that when mine arrives!  I had someone today tell me the Shield 9 that he fired had more recoil than his Ruger LC9.  Based on everything I've read here and elsewhere, I find that hard to believe.  This same person has told me with authority that a .40 pistol has less recoil than a 9mm... 

....and am concerned about them getting hung up when I try to draw. What can I do about it?

If you're concerned about it practice your draw. It may be a non issue.

Download a shot timer for you phone, not to time yourself, but to give you something to react to.

So, I just got my .40 shield and am loving it, but one thing that bothers me is the sharpness of the rear sights. I feel them sometimes when carrying inside the belt, and am concerned about them getting hung up when I try to draw. What can I do about it? File them down?

I wouldn't use a file unless you really know what you're doing.  I'd try to break the corners with a soft cratex stone. 

Guest Mbeck
Thanks for the advise guys. I'll try the cratex stone. Eventually I think I will go with some night sights, but I don't have the cash right now.

I look forward to confirming that when mine arrives! I had someone today tell me the Shield 9 that he fired had more recoil than his Ruger LC9. Based on everything I've read here and elsewhere, I find that hard to believe. This same person has told me with authority that a .40 pistol has less recoil than a 9mm...

There is a very creditable member on here, I think his name is Zybsco or something similar, who has owned a 40 and a 9 Shield. He said the 40 has a slight bit more recoil than the 9.
I got rid of my shield only to add another S&W J frame to the collection, I just love J frames. My dislikes of the Shield was the safety, the disasembly I didn't care too much for, and I just couldn't quite convince myself there was an advantage to a Shield over a Baby Glock. The Shield absorbs a lot more recoil than a baby Glock, I would say the 40 Shield had less felt recoil than a G22. If I had it all to do over again I would have kept the Shield.

There is a very creditable member on here, I think his name is Zybsco or something similar, who has owned a 40 and a 9 Shield. He said the 40 has a slight bit more recoil than the 9.
I got rid of my shield only to add another S&W J frame to the collection, I just love J frames. My dislikes of the Shield was the safety, the disasembly I didn't care too much for, and I just couldn't quite convince myself there was an advantage to a Shield over a Baby Glock. The Shield absorbs a lot more recoil than a baby Glock, I would say the 40 Shield had less felt recoil than a G22. If I had it all to do over again I would have kept the Shield.

I had a Nano. Shot ok. Was pretty accurate. But a pretty stiff recoil impulse. I was resigned to it until I got the chance to shoot a Shield.

I put my name on the waiting list for one immediately. Traded the Nano when the Shield came in. Sweetest shooting compact 9 I've ever shot. Yes I prefer it ove the PPS and the G19.

Disassembly is a little different, but not bad. JMO

Guest Nunya

I have a full size M & P .40 and I thought the same thing. My daughter heard me talking about it and said "If your belly didn't hang over, you might not feel it" ....................Well, I really had to laugh, cause she was right! :)

I've gone back to pocket carry for this very reason.

I've gone back to pocket carry for this very reason.

I've decided to do the harder way, get my a$$ back in the gym, been out since first day of deer season, so its way past time to get back into it. Maybe then I won't feel the sharp edges :)
Guest Mbeck

I had a Nano. Shot ok. Was pretty accurate. But a pretty stiff recoil impulse. I was resigned to it until I got the chance to shoot a Shield.

I put my name on the waiting list for one immediately. Traded the Nano when the Shield came in. Sweetest shooting compact 9 I've ever shot. Yes I prefer it ove the PPS and the G19.

Disassembly is a little different, but not bad. JMO

Yeah, I switched from the nano to the shield as well. I liked the Nano, but the trigger was just a bit long. Plus I wanted the extra capacity.