home security

We have Fleenor at my house as well an my in-laws. We are very pleased with their service. We have the alarm, fire, and carbon mono all wired in. My wife has a remote that allows her to turn the system on and off from anywhere in the house or car as well as a panic button.

I'd recommend them.

A burglar / home invader worth his salt can disable these types of systems pretty easily using only your standard hard wire phone line. IMHO, your best defense is getting those few extra precious seconds of warning to prepare. I will be getting me a barking dog in the near future too.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it  :wave:

Many of the alarms now run now off cellphone signal, so they can do anything they want to your cable/phone lines and it won't interrupt the system

Can any one reccomend any home security like adt gaurdian fleenor ect ect. I work third shift and my house was broken into the other night. I know they were looking for guns because nothing else was missing. Luckily they only got one because all my other ones were locked up in the safe. They got my nightstand gun. I live in east tn so if any one runs across a beretta px4 sub compact in 40 caliber sn pz61117 please contact local law enforcement promptly. Thanks to all for reccomendations.

Take a look at this company. I have had nothing but good experiences with them for over three years. Installation is easy and customer support is excellent.

http://www.lifeshield.com/

Greetings!

But anyway, it's slower than I would like and it's better than nothing. A burglar / home invader worth his salt can disable these types of systems pretty easily using only your standard hard wire phone line. IMHO, your best defense is getting those few extra precious seconds of warning to prepare. I will be getting me a barking dog in the near future too.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it  :wave:

The arm company knows when a line has been cut. I have been dispatched to a lot of those just to find a tree has fallen across the lines.

Many of the alarms now run now off cellphone signal, so they can do anything they want to your cable/phone lines and it won't interrupt the system

Yea, thanks I know, I'm a little late to the party but I canceled my cell phone to save a few bucks in monthly bills.

That's crazy though, a 63 month contract?

I hadn't seen that since I am well beyond my original contract and now on month to month.  I would venture that there are shorter plans, however. Agree, that is far too long to commit to for a contract. That notwithstanding, the system and service are very good.

No, the alarm company installs a specific cellular device that only calls the alarm company. It has nothing to do with a cell phone.

+1 our base station for the alarm has it built in, and good luck for anyone trying to find that and break it lol

Especially when we buy $4k safes to protect them, but the $1k system is too much.

Amazing to me some of us own thousands of dollars and some of us own tens of thousands of dollars in firearms and other vaulables but we wont spend 1k for a security system ... i was guilty as heck for a while and luckily it didnt bite me.  No matter how good your safe is all it does is buy time......

We have 8 dogs, Some of them are very large and Very protective like Caesar our German Shepherd I got when he was a pup from a forum member, someone would be out of their mind crazy to even think about approaching our property. We shoot guns in the back yard often and have half a dozen Miniature donkeys that are some of the most protective animals that you could imagine. With all of this I still have a monitored ADT system more for the fire protection than home security. I have extremely good home insurance that protects my firearms I get a substantial discount on it by having a monitored security system

• Like 1

ADT sucks.overpriced,junk equipment,truly a last resort.If you're in TN you can get monitored by NCA for 10 bucks a month for landline or 20 a month if you use cellular backup.

Equipment wise there's a lot of new stuff available with great features for gunowners/safeowners. Honeywell has a lynx 5100 system that has everything built into 1 box,runs wireless sensors w anti jamming capability and you can add sensors to items that if they leave a predefined area you can be notified.you can even add a sensor to your safe,shed etc so if the door is opened you'll get notification every time its opened or closed.The monitoring company can even dial in to the system and listen in for hostage scenarios,and burglaries as well.Very cool affordable stuff. Having a supervised line is good to have as there's always a records of what happened at what time.you pay more for it but its a valuable feature.

Honeywell,Bosch,and DSP make some good gear. NCA and Monitronics, are 2 good service providers.Read your contract.most are self renewing every 3 years and require an act of congress to get out of.

Knowing someone in the business can save some money as hypothetically, you can have someone install/upgrade your gear and then choose your monitoring without getting raped for the system...

A safe is great to have if you can afford something that's decent and installed properly,its even better at keeping someone who may know your home, out of your stuff,as well as slowing down or stopping a turds ability to grab your goods and run.

If you own something, or things, that have significant value, a security system and safe are great insurance.If you've ever been a robbery victim or saw a home that was burglarized,youll understand pretty quick.If you have second thoughts,think about your weapons being used to possibly kill someone within a year,and your home looking like something you saw in new orleans,after katrina hit......