CETME .308 Sporter 16" Opinions

Guest redneckbiker

Guest redneckbiker
Hey guys,

I need your help in making a decision about possibly trading for a CETME .308 Sporter w/ 16" barrel. I really don't know anything about them. I have been wanting a .308 battle rifle but I want to make sure I get a good one. He tells me that they are worth a lot of money around $1,800.00 but the one's I researched were from $400 - $700, but I don't know if I'm looking at the right one. I tried to post a pic but this stupid thing wouldn't let me. Anyway, if you guys could give any info to help make my decision, like value, quality, etc. I would greatly appreciate it. If this is not a good rifle, what would you recommend? Thanks.! 

Edited by redneckbiker
I'vd had mixed results from Century, some have been fantastic rifles right out of the box, but some had needed some work on my end, mostly straightening canted sights &/or gas blocks, minor fit & finishing stuff etc.

I personally have no qualms buying Century firearms, you just have to remember that they are not a firearm manufacturer per-say, they import de-milled foriegn military surplus arms & then rebuild them using American made recievers & other assorted parts.

Sometimes their quality control on individual rifles isn't the best, but generally it doesn't take much work on my end to get them up & running properly, at least that's been my experience.

As others have said its a no go from me on the Cetme, if you like the HK 91 style rifles I would go with a PTR 91, good gun,reliable and the mags are dirt cheap only down side is the recoil on the 91 style rifles is pretty rough for a battle rifle due to its roller delayed blowback action as opposed to its gas operated competitors,it also beats up brass pretty good.the PTR91 can be had on GB right now for $1200+ish(Pretty much pre panic price maybe $100 over) and I can go ahead and tell you it is a way better rifle than the cetme.

Now once again I agree with some other posters above and would recommend the FAL specifically the DS Arms SA 58, I have the SA58 Para Tactical Carbine which is a 16" fluted folder with a top rail on the receiver for optics and a quad rail, and let me tell you I love love love this rifle,it has an adjustable gas system so the rifle will run with pretty much any ammunition and in some really dirty conditions, if you order directly from DSA you can have them build the gun to your liking with whatever options you want, my SA58 set me back about $2,000 but just the folding stock adds right at $300 to the price tag over the standard stock and I will go ahead and tell you if you are a right handed shooter you do not want the para stock, I shoot lefty but if I hold it righty and grip high like I tend to do the folding mechanism digs into your hand while shooting, other than that the SA58 is one bad dude.A standard SA58 could be had pre panic for about $1400ish on BUDS. Only thing with the SA58 is read the instructions on adjusting the gas system before shooting it,mine came from the factory fully closed and it was trying to rip the head off the casing when ejecting the brass,my FAL runs perfect almost fully open which leaves a lot of room for adjustment should it start getting real dirty or gunked up.

The M1A is not a bad option as well however I dont think it is quite as reliable as the PTR or FAL( I have owned 2 Socom 16's, a Scout and a Standard before someone says I must not have ever owned one)but it does seem more accurate to me and feels better balanced, ofcourse all of that is simply a matter of opinion as I have done no real comparison testing between them so take it for what you will. One thing I like about the M1A is the amount of aftermarket accessories available for them, I mean you can turn those things into everything from an extremely accurate match rifle to the most tacticooool of tacticooool rifles, the only downside is none of thats cheap when it comes to the M1A,however the other rifles dont really have a bunch of options when compared to the M1A especially the FAL. My favorite of the M1A's I owned were the Socoms,both were bought pre panic one used for $1,000 and one new for $1,400 I think,however the M1A seems to have the highest price increase post panic they still seem to be selling with a $700-$800(Atleast the Socom 16) premium attached to them while the other rifles listed are selling for MSRP or lower.

In the end it really just boils down to your intended use for the rifle,but for me the FAL won my heart,I even prefer it even over my 17s,that being said I like the M1A better than my 17s as well.

Edited by ~48_South~
  • Like 1
Guest redneckbiker

Thanks for the info, I shoot lefty as well, actually most of my family does. We are all left-handed except my wife. I have been looking at the FAL and needless to say, " I LIKE IT!". I love the way it looks, MEAN! Grrrr....I have read nothing but excellent reviews on it. I have also been looking at the M1A as well and I have seen some that looked pretty awesome and have read great reviews on it as well. Since both run about the same price, Its a toss up for me. I may have to go ahead and buy 1 of each and be done with it. Who knows?

Anyway, thanks again for everyones input. At least now, I know which ones to look at....

Thanks, I have decided that this is my next project!

Pay close attention to the head spacing portion.  FAL's don't headspace like other rifles.  There's a quite a list of ruined hardware because some "gunsmith" built one for someone and didn't head space it correctly (or at all). 

Go here and read lots. These folks can tell you all the stuff you never wanted to know...  http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php