Five yr old suspended for haircut

Guest MilitiaMan

There's nothing wrong with the kids haircut. This has more to do with A. The pussification of America. and B. The inability of the teacher to control her classroom.

If the children were "distracted" by his haircut and wanting to get up out of their seats to touch his hair and ooh & aah at it, how about telling them to sit down. I was a teacher for years in a bad school, in a worse neighborhood in an even worse city. A students haircut was the least of my worries.

Pathetic.

And the cancer spreads. This is a blatant attempt to erase ones individualism and force them to conform to the status quo. Curb free thinking, don’t speak out, take your medication the government is here to help. Think I am a paranoid? Better look around and smell the smelly smell of collectivism.. It is being served up in 60 OZ cups of goodness.

Yea, you could say that I am going overboard. And a hair cut is a small thing.. but remember a cancer cell is a small thing… give it awhile and the next thing you know you are six feet under.  :cool:

• Like 1
Guest ThePunisher
More of the statist collectivism is forthcoming if "We the People" don't start getting pissed off real soon and take back our country. How much more of this communism are we going to take? Is everybody willing to surrender all your freedoms, and become an equal slave in these commies Utopia? Geeze, these commies are really pissing me off.

Maybe some folks are on the right track saying that a 5 year old boy doesn't truly 'decide' how his hair is cut and that, ultimately, that is the parents' decision.  I would counter that maybe those folks should look at their own argument before posting it.

I would say you are exactly right - the parents' should, ultimately, make that decision.  NOT teachers.  NOT principals.  NOT the school board.  As long as the child's appearance isn't indecent or his/her grooming unsanitary then it should be none of a school's damn business - not one, little bit - what decisions the parents make about his or her appearance.  If parents want to indulge a child's desires for something so innocent as a haircut then that should also be none of a school's damn business.  None.  Period.  Remember, these are the same types of 'educators' who suspend/expel kids for making gun shapes with their fingers.  They are the same 'educators' who become apoplectic when a child so much as has a picture, drawing or doodle of a gun.  They want to dictate minute aspects of a child's life - not to educate but to indoctrinate.

In fact, I have said for some time and become increasingly more convinced that the #1 problem in this country is that people - individually and in groups, private and public - refuse to mind their own, damned business.  Sure, there are instances when people refuse to 'get involved' when they should but much more prevalent are instances when people should just keep their stupid opinions to themselves and let others make their own decisions.  Then, again, perhaps the phrase 'the pursuit of happiness', once listed right along with 'life' and 'liberty', no longer means anything.

I remember a specific incident when I was in either Kindergarten or the first grade (would have been some time around 1976-77.)  At home, mom always poured a little milk into my bowl of chili or soup to help cool it down.  In fact, she did the same to hers.  Well, I did that at school one day and some of the other students raised an uproar because they thought it was 'gross'.  My teacher then told me that I would be in trouble if I did that, again.  Well, I went home and told my mom.  The next morning she went into school with me and had a discussion with the principal and my teacher - the gist being that was the way we ate our soup, she and my father were paying for my lunch and if I wanted to pour milk into my soup then that is exactly what I would do.  I continued to do so for several years and, after that, was never told that it was not allowed.

I have to wonder how many people who feel that the school was in the right sending this child home also feel that the vet who had "Infidel" tattooed on his arm should have been hassled because of it.  Basically, IMO, it is the same thing.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2
I agree with JAB about the school overstepping its limits. I am all for a dress code, but only to prevent kids from showing their goods and wearin vulgar shirts. Otherwise the teacher needs to control her students. He'll kids act that way when a boy shaves his head for the first time. They all want to rub his head. I know I did it in 4th grade, yet somehow Mrs Slater didn't lose control of the room an now 30 kids are all stupid because they couldn't learn.

Quit being pussies, damnit. I'm never gonna survive having children. Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 1

If you sign a contract to follow a policy you should abide by it or don't sign the contract. Yeah maybe a haircut seems a little silly but a dress code is set to avoid distractions and this hair style was obviously causing one. I signed a contract with my job that doesn't allow me to carry a weapon while I'm working. I think it's silly and even dangerous, but I will abide by it or seek employment elsewhere.

What contract are you referring to? I see no mention of one.

What's next in this country?

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/kindergarten-boy-suspended-for-his--distracting--mohawk-182303876.html

Here is the problem with this country -- noone wants to to follow the rules..... we think that if we dont like the rule than we dont need to practice it, then we cry foul when someone slaps our hands for breaking the rules.  If they didnt like this rule then they should have went to another school. 

There is nothing wrong with his haircut but it is the school rule.... Hell i like the haircut....

The school went too far in my worthless opinion though

Edited by Krull
Guest MilitiaMan

On the "rules" topic - Taken from the article:

The school's handbook states that "Hair shall be worn above the eyebrows and must be kept clean, neat and trimmed" and specifies that boys may not wear their hair longer than the bottom of their shirt collars. It also says: "Hair styling or coloring arrangements which are disruptive or distracting are not permissible."

That entire portion is highly subjective. Did he TRULY do anything that was realistically "distracting" others from their education?  Absolutely not.

Again I say, how hard would it have been for the simpleton teacher to have her students sit down and pay attention. This is a failure to discilpine the classroom properly. And this is how our "America" works now. You fail as a teacher? Blame it on the parents and the child. You fail as a parent? Blame it on the teacher and the school system. No accountability anymore.

We recently introduced a new puppy into our home. While she is cute and new, did it stop my two kids from going to bed on time the first night? Absolutely not. When I said "bed.", they got up and brushed their teeth and went to bed. No disruption to our normal daily schedule.

I guess if I was a lackluster failure of a parent and my kids didn't listen then I could go back and blame the dog breeder for the dog disrupting my home.  :rolleyes:

We recently introduced a new puppy into our home. While she is cute and new, did it stop my two kids from going to bed on time the first night? Absolutely not. When I said "bed.", they got up and brushed their teeth and went to bed. No disruption to our normal daily schedule.

Why did they follow the rules?  Let me guess because there are certain consequences if they dont......

Here is the problem with this country -- noone wants to to follow the rules..... we think that if we dont like the rule than we dont need to practice it, then we cry foul when someone slaps our hands for breaking the rules.  If they didnt like this rule then they should have went to another school. 

There is nothing wrong with his haircut but it is the school rule.... Hell i like the haircut....

The school went too far in my worthless opinion though

No, the problem with this country is that there are far too many rules and too many people who think they have the right to make arbitrary rules to dictate the behavior of others because, after all, 'they' know what is right and best for everyone.  The problem isn't that he broke the school rule but the fact that the school has such a rule to begin with.

The more we act like sheep and follow asinine rules simply because 'those are the rules' the more we give up liberty, little bits at a time.  Rules which keep one person from harming another or interfering with the rights of another are one thing.  It may seem like a small thing but rules telling people how they can wear their hair - or choose to style their children's hair - have no place in a free country.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

What contract are you referring to? I see no mention of one.

The section of the handbook about hairstyles and dress. Notice how I said there are policies that I don't agree with but if I agree to someones rules, I will follow them. I'm not personally a fan of the Mohawk style but this isn't really about the kids hair anyway is what I'm trying to say. This is the whole reason I plan to homeschool anyway, so I don't have to deal with this crap. Render unto Ceasar that which is Ceaser's and all that. Unfortunately, Ceasar just happens to be an idiot sometimes.

Edited by gnmwilliams
Guest MilitiaMan

Should all rules made by our nanny state be followed without question?

Should everyone in NY (then other states) just turn in their guns whenever the state says so?

Should the colonists have sat back and taken how they were treated by Great Britain?

And more to todays topic, should I allow my children to be paddled in school because it is a "rule" they have? Over my dead body. I don't know about you and your children but my wife and I are the ONLY adults that will put a hand on our children. The school already has in it's possession a certified letter from us, the parents, and one from our attorney letting them know just what legal actions will be taken should either of our children be paddled...ever.

My point is and will remain that this child did nothing to break any of the school rules. This was a failure by the teacher to control her class and a failure by the teacher and the school to use common sense.

I will never follow something that I find to be immoral, unconstitutional or against my better judgement. In my years on this planet I have gone against and upset MANY nitwits because I follow rules that I hold to be sound and of good moral backing, not just any old rule because someone calls it a "rule". 

I live and die by common sense. Just because it's written, doesn't make it so.

Why did they follow the rules?  Let me guess because there are certain consequences if they dont......

Edited by MilitiaMan

I agree with JAB about the school overstepping its limits. I am all for a dress code, but only to prevent kids from showing their goods and wearin vulgar shirts. Otherwise the teacher needs to control her students. He'll kids act that way when a boy shaves his head for the first time. They all want to rub his head. I know I did it in 4th grade, yet somehow Mrs Slater didn't lose control of the room an now 30 kids are all stupid because they couldn't learn.

Quit being pussies, damnit. I'm never gonna survive having children.

Good luck with that. The kids coming into elementary schools these days aren't like what you guys remember.'

Their mom's were probably drunk and high the whole time they were pregnant. These days in lots of schools the children coming into the early elementary grade are just plain damn jiggy.

They have no attention span, can't learn, don't have parents who care if they're even home half the time, have no discipline, no support at home, and probably a never ending supply of "uncles" rolling through the house.

I hear about this every night from my live in 3rd grade teacher (aka my wife of 35 years).

The kid in the picture is probably an angel. But my money would bet that it's a problem family and a problem kid.

If only it was just a haircut.

Edited by Raoul

I can handle the little guy's haircut. Go up to my Daughter's high school, and you can see all the "sagging" you can stand. It's like the school system is scared to tell them to pull their pants up. Discusting!

Dave S

You guys are right. Screw the rules, who has the right to make rules about business,school , FCC or anything for that matter. Total anarchy is the way to go. Mad max type anarchy. Everyone is fine with the rules as long as tey agree with them. You send your kid to school looking like a rooster and he gets sent home it's time to whine about it. Blaaa blaaa.

No one needs rules or laws unless everyone agrees with them. Good luck with that. It's asinine that you send your kid to school and he breaks a rule and they send him home. What the hell are these people thinking making a dress code to follow. I give them kudos for enforcing it.

I don't agree with a lot of rules I have at work. They are stupid and flat out make no sense ....... But I follow them.

It's a stupid rule yes I agree but it's a rule, a condition of attending. If you don't like it go somewhere else.

There are many people that are saying the same thing about you owning firearms that some of you are saying about this schools rule, should we take their word for it and turn them in because they don't agree ? Opinions are like..... Well you know. Edited by Krull
  • Like 4
Guest carter

You guys are right. Screw the rules, who has the right to make rules about business,school , FCC or anything for that matter. Total anarchy is the way to go. Mad max type anarchy. Everyone is fine with the rules as long as tey agree with them. You send your kid to school looking like a rooster and he gets sent home it's time to whine about it. Blaaa blaaa.

No one needs rules or laws unless everyone agrees with them. Good luck with that. It's asinine that you send your kid to school and he breaks a rule and they send him home. What the hell are these people thinking making a dress code to follow. I give them kudos for enforcing it.

I don't agree with a lot of rules I have at work. They are stupid and flat out make no sense ....... But I follow them.

It's a stupid rule yes I agree but it's a rule, a condition of attending. If you don't like it go somewhere else.

There are many people that are saying the same thing about you owning firearms that some of you are saying about this schools rule, should we take their word for it and turn them in because they don't agree ? Opinions are like..... Well you know.

but they are asking someone to change physically...lets see i can think of a lot of things that distract me... fat people, cankles, skinny jeans, tight shirts, tube socks, short shorts, funky toe nails, body odor, perfume and cologne, dirty fingernails, glitter, where do you want to stop? 

Edited by carter

U forgot camel t*#

but they are asking someone to change physically...lets see i can think of a lot of things that distract me... fat people, cankles, skinny jeans, tight shirts, tube socks, short shorts, funky toe nails, body odor, perfume and cologne, dirty fingernails, glitter, where do you want to stop? 

Guest carter

U forgot camel t*#

that i did sir... those do also... 

but the fact is...they are trying to mold people... to stop them from being there own person... and wanting them to look like what society wants them to look... talk about flash back ie: Hitlers perfect race... this is they way our society is... you know one of the biggest hair styles now was brought back from the 1920/1930 era... called the under cut... hum, for some reason it was "OK" for society to accept it then...but now they are looked at as crazy hipster styles... BE YOUR OWN SELF! for a change and stop trying to fall into what society says or accepts you to look ie: FAKE! 

There are many people that are saying the same thing about you owning firearms that some of you are saying about this schools rule, should we take their word for it and turn them in because they don't agree ? Opinions are like..... Well you know.

This very point, in fact, goes AGAINST your argument.  These are the people who would love to make rules limiting our firearms ownership.  Heck, if it were up to many of them owning firearms, at all, would be against 'the rules'.

So, do me a favor - when and if a rule forbidding firearms ownership is passed, being as how you wouldn't want to break the rules, just hand your guns over to us horrible, anarchist scoff-laws who don't believe we should blindly follow simply because some jackass made a rule.

For that matter, damn all those reckless, rule breaking Colonists who thought they had a right to go against Great Britain's rules way back in the 1700s.  What the heck were those jerks thinking?

And, yes, I do see the two as equivalent.  Not in scope and scale, of course, but as a point of personal freedom.  This nation was founded by rule breakers whose whole point in starting a new country was to create a society with as few constraints on personal liberty (i.e. 'rules') as possible while still attempting to prevent one person's liberty from infringing on the liberty of another.  Ignoring, breaking or outright rebelling against an overabundance of rules is at the very root and heart of what our nation is supposed to be.  Simply because we have been indoctrinated and programmed to 'always follow the rules because rules are always good' doesn't change that - nor does it mean that the rules are, in fact, always 'good'.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

that i did sir... those do also... 

but the fact is...they are trying to mold people... to stop them from being there own person... and wanting them to look like what society wants them to look... talk about flash back ie: Hitlers perfect race... this is they way our society is... you know one of the biggest hair styles now was brought back from the 1920/1930 era... called the under cut... hum, for some reason it was "OK" for society to accept it then...but now they are looked at as crazy hipster styles... BE YOUR OWN SELF! for a change and stop trying to fall into what society says or accepts you to look ie: FAKE! 

I know I won't be able to put my exact thoughts into words but the problem with our society today is the fact that they ARE saying screw the rules, be you're own person, forget about respect and authority, do what you want, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There's a difference between following the rules out of repsect, even when you might not agree with them and following rules blindly even when you are compromising your integrity or morality. I was asked not to wear flip flops to church one day since I was working in the ministry there and some of the elders thought that wearing sandals was disrespectful. I was tempted to snap back with, "Jesus wore sandals!" but I didn't because I respected them and I didn't wear sandals anymore to church. Was there anything morally wrong with wearing sandals in church? Absolutely not. Was it a distraction and possibly a stumblng block to those men? Apparently and possibly. I could have stormed off yelling things about being free to be my own person and not having to follow stupid rules but I didn't because in this case, it wasn't affecting me morally, physically, or ethically. It would have been different if they had called my spiritual condition into question. Respect for authority is totally different than bowing to authority. But be careful. That stuff might getcha thrown into a furnace! :)

Edited by gnmwilliams
  • Like 2
Guest MilitiaMan

Added it to my sig.

Benjamin Franklin said it best:

“It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.” - Benjamin Franklin