Shipping cost

I just paid 21 bucks to ship something to MI. It was just average size box (was a box that some waders came in)and only weighed a couple pounds. It was through ups. Part of that was some 5 buck rural fee. I see some people on here shipping stuff for less than ten so I know there is a cheaper way. Any secrets to cheaper shipping rates?
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you try the USPS? They have those boxes they call, "if it fits, it ships" for one price? Both FedEx and UPS have a rural fee because of the increased fuel expense of driving 

all over the countryside to deliver it and that includes the rural towns that have things trucked into.

Lp

Edited by Lowpower

USPS offers "Flat Rate" Boxes.  From Small, Medium, and Large.

I don't believe USPS has any sort of "Rural" Fee either.  So, just by shipping USPS without their flat rate service, you probably would have saved that additional $5 bucks :)

Did you try the USPS? They have those boxes they call, "if it fits, it ships" for one price?...

Priority Flat Rate can be good if you have heavy items that will fit in the various boxes, otherwise it costs more for same weight than regular Priority rate. And of course you do have to scare up a USPS Flat Rate box, can't do that rate on regular Priority one or your own box.

Anything over 13 ounces must go Priority or the new "Standard Mail" (which replaced Parcel Post). Haven't checked that out much yet, but Parcel Post never saved more than about 5% over Priority. Also, certain items (books mainly) can go Media Mail, quite a bit cheaper.

Anyway, Priority 2 lbs from Knoxville to Detroit is $5.84 if done online through USPS site, $6.85 paid at PO.

Standard Mail is $6.85 also at PO, no online option, but doesn't even include tracking like Priority does, so it costs more to get there later. What a deal.

Extra note: with seller's account through eBay/Paypal,  you get a small discount on all USPS pricing, and can use it for non-eBay shipping also.

Haven't sussed it thoroughly lately, but never found UPS or FedEx Ground the better deal until you hit around 15lbs or more (not counting the "rural" charge though). And FedEx Ground is significantly cheaper than UPS for real heavy items, 50-150 lbs.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Priority Flat Rate can be good if you have heavy items that will fit in the various boxes, otherwise it costs more for same weight than regular Priority rate. And of course you do have to scare up a USPS Flat Rate box, can't do that rate on regular Priority one or your own box.

- OS

USPS will supply flat rate boxes for free and ship them to you in advance no charge.  :woohoo:

They even have flat rate APO/FPO boxes that are discounted for sending care packages to our troops. I ship bulk boxes full of new magazines and other requested items from home to a few FOBs  every month to make sure they have some fresh reading material while they are stuck in the sandbox. :usa:

They aren't kidding about that "if it fits it ships" stuff either! I recieved a 54 lbs USPS large flat rate box full of lead last week! :stunned:

Edited by 2.ooohhh

USPS will supply flat rate boxes for free and ship them to you in advance no charge.  :woohoo:

They even have flat rate APO/FPO boxes that are discounted for sending care packages to our troops. I ship bulk boxes full of new magazines and other requested items from home to a few FOBs  every month to make sure they have some fresh reading material while they are stuck in the sandbox. :usa:

They aren't kidding about that "if it fits it ships" stuff either! I recieved a 54 lbs USPS large flat rate box full of lead last week! :stunned:

The cheapest USPS shipping package is called a Priority Regional Rate. You have to order the boxes from USPS.com.

They have 3 different size boxes.

Yep, that's the good part, if you think ahead.

I actually have too many of them, as ordered a bunch of different sized ones several years ago for a project that fell through.

- OS

Yes, Flat Rate USPS is the way to go.  I get very frustrated with shipping costs.  I order lots of small motorcycle parts.  There is nothing more aggravating then having to pay $12 shipping for a $4 carburetor jet that is smaller than a pencil eraser.  With so many of the smaller motorcycle shops closing down a lot of times shopping local is not an option.  I order most everything for my Hondas online because it is 40 miles to the closest Honda shop. 

Yes, Flat Rate USPS is the way to go.  I get very frustrated with shipping costs.  I order lots of small motorcycle parts.  There is nothing more aggravating then having to pay $12 shipping for a $4 carburetor jet that is smaller than a pencil eraser. 

Man, anything under 13 oz can go first class package rate, max cost for the whole 13oz  is $3.77 and tracking is only another .20.

edit: oh, on re-reading, I see you were posting as receiver, not shipper, sorry. Lots of places are gonna charge you a flat rate for shipping regardless of what it costs them. It's just another profit center for them.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

From time to time I sell items on ebay, and USPS is the way to go.  However, sometimes UPS is not too bad if you need insurance and other options, but you do have to shop around unless you are actually working with UPS directly at their "real" office.  Example, there is drug store in my little town that has great rates for UPS shipments, however a store just 20 miles up the street one of those Mail box places, that advertises UPS, they are always $5-$10 more than my locally drug store.  Not sure how that is possible unless these satellite stores have a heavy mark up.

From time to time I sell items on ebay, and USPS is the way to go.  However, sometimes UPS is not too bad if you need insurance and other options, but you do have to shop around unless you are actually working with UPS directly at their "real" office.  Example, there is drug store in my little town that has great rates for UPS shipments, however a store just 20 miles up the street one of those Mail box places, that advertises UPS, they are always $5-$10 more than my locally drug store.  Not sure how that is possible unless these satellite stores have a heavy mark up.

Why not just setup your own shipping account?
UPS is still pretty reasonable if it's an odd size box.

Why not just setup your own shipping account?

Yep, can do it through eBay seller's account. As long as you log into once a year, UPS doesn't close account even if you don't use it, and they'll warn you when the time grows short.

And it's cheaper than any counter rate anywhere.

http://ebay.com/upssavings/

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot