The only job left is...crime? Memphis news feature

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to reality. As the economy slides downhill, you better be prepared to see the crime rates substantially increase. This only means your chances of being a victim will increase just the same.

Coincidence, or not, the crime rates in the Hendersonville area have spiked in recent months. I was hoping to leave that crap in the area I recently moved from, but judging by the recent rash of robberies and thefts near my home, it's [crime] increasing everywhere.

While talking to neighbors, co-workers and customers, I've heard several stories about how entire streets and/or neighborhoods have been burglarized. The thieves have been brazen enough to steal from dozens of vehicles and/or homes on the same street.

As our economy worsens, you can bet your a$$ that these criminals are becoming increasingly desperate. Extremely desperate criminals can only make a very bad situation a whole lot worse. This is just another reason to make sure you're as prepared as you can possibly be. Now, more than ever, protecting you and yours must be priority number one.

Guest grimel
I ran across this a few minutes ago. Here's the future ladies and gentleman...

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7058226&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.2.1

"When the chips are down, these civilized people...will eat each other."-The Joker

I liked that one idiot near the end. They ask you got a criminal history I say yes ma'am they don't want to talk to you and hang up.

Who "tries" to get a job by calling when they don't have a high demand skill set?? Unemployed folks with criminal records gaming the system, that's who.

Why are they worried about rent living in the projects? Have the normal sources of income dried up. I doubt it.

If I owned a business and could help out the honest ones I would. Was born and raised there and knew a few that lived in those circumstances. God knows the economy is crappy everywhere but theiving is totally unacceptable. Let's see some folks who are about to lose a home and do not live on the guvment tit. That is truly heartbreaking.

Have they discovered copper in Memphis yet or any recyclable metal? It's all the rage up here. People are stealing that stuff left and right.

Why are they worried about rent living in the projects? Have the normal sources of income dried up. I doubt it.

If I owned a business and could help out the honest ones I would. Was born and raised there and knew a few that lived in those circumstances. God knows the economy is crappy everywhere but theiving is totally unacceptable. Let's see some folks who are about to lose a home and do not live on the guvment tit. That is truly heartbreaking.

Have they discovered copper in Memphis yet or any recyclable metal? It's all the rage up here. People are stealing that stuff left and right.

They do the same thing here.

A new law hit the books July 1st that requires junk yard sellers to provide identification and a thumb print that will be kept on file. Furthermore, cash transactions are old news. Instead copper providers will be paid with vouchers or a check in the mail.

Who knows if this will help, but it's a start.

Guest superslacker

Holy BS Batman!! These dumb@$$es were standing around in the middle of the day complaining long before the economy ever went bad!! Milk $5 a gallon, flour $5 a pound? When was the last time this joker actually went to the store and bought anything? Typical Memphis.

Holy BS Batman!! These dumb@$ were standing around in the middle of the day complaining long before the economy ever went bad!! Milk $5 a gallon, flour $5 a pound? When was the last time this joker actually went to the store and bought anything? Typical Memphis.

You managed to work Batman and Joker into that paragraph... I like that!

I personally liked all the racist undertones, the fabricated blog story that they ran with anyway and the oh so sweet tunes smoothin out the vid. Awww Memphis.

Too funny. Its the same music ive ever heard on any 70's black gangster movie. I thought they were about to do a "job" that ended with someone screaming benjamins.

I did see that Min wage was increased today, and this time next year it will be 7.25 per hour. While thats not much it could be a living if they (Anyone not disabled and sitting on their ass) tried.

My wife and I were trying to find a baby sitter for the kids for a few hours a day a couple days a week. We were willing to pay $8 an hour (obviously above the minimum wage) to watch our children in our air conditioned home with directv and the kids would be napping for half the time they were here. The girl said - my other families pay me $10 and it wouldn't be worth it for me to "drive all the way out there" (we live about 2 miles from her house) for less than that.

Told her thanks and have a nice day.

Is it unacceptable for people to be sitting on their duffs while illegals come in to this country and pick fruit etc for 5 an hour? Nope, not in the least. The jobs are out there. Unemployment is still lower than it has been in a long time. I see fast food joints hiring all the time. May not be great money, but it's money none the less.

If I were to lose my job today, I would be at the local McDonald's tomorrow just to keep some money coming in while I looked for a real job. Then again I could always just start stealing.

Oh, and the price of gas here? Think about Europe where it is close to $8 a gallon - and the majority of that is taxes. Complain all you want, we still got it pretty good. Oh yeah, a gallon of milk is still more than a gallon of gas.

Guest nraforlife

Growing business that makes license plates and furniture for the State. Maybe they should be prepared to learn these two trades.

Guest mikedwood
Its funny how they bi**h about flour being 5 dollars a bag,but say nothing bad about 200 dollar shoes,and 2,500 dollar rims

Sometimes things are just a mystery.

I wouldn't move to Memphis or Atlanta for $1,000,000 a year and feel lucky no one has offered me that to do so.

Guest Halfpint

I've spent the past few months working on a pipeline in south Texas . . . I miss my friends, family, and my job at C/A, but I really have to convince myself it will be time to come back in a few weeks. If it weren't for all the family I would be leaving, I wouldn't think twice about staying down here.

Guest grimel
Arabic countries get gas for .40 something cents a gallon. So why are we paying 4-5 dollars a gallon? Sounds like the politicians are the real theives.:lol:

If our government subsidized gas prices we could have $0.40 a gallon gas. Of course our taxes would be even more outrageous and we'd probably be in nearly the same economic conditions as those countries.

You guys are really depressing me. I am moving to the Memphis area (Millington). And all I see is bad press. I hope that most of it is simply that people tend to complain more than praise.

I know Memphis has it's problems. Systemic racism, black and white, appears to be big problem. That video could have been taken in any city in the U.S.

Guest db99wj
You guys are really depressing me. I am moving to the Memphis area (Millington). And all I see is bad press. I hope that most of it is simply that people tend to complain more than praise.

I know Memphis has it's problems. Systemic racism, black and white, appears to be big problem. That video could have been taken in any city in the U.S.

It's not as bad as it sometimes seems and is portrayed. Seems like much of the crime is in areas that, well most people will never go. You see a lot of crime in the South Memphis, North Memphis(Frayser/Raleigh area), Orange Mound, Hickory Hill areas and it is usually the "residents" of that area against the "residents" of that area. Not saying that areas are immune to crime, but most of the problems are in certain "areas". You just need to be aware of your surroundings and stay out of the areas that you don't need to be anyway. In other words, if you don't belong in the ghetto, stay out of the ghetto.

As for milk, it is over $5 a gallon if you buy Turner, or one of the other "name" brands, but if you buy Kroger brand for example, you will pay $3.88/gallon. Here is some advice for dude in the vid, don't buy the name brand stuff, the Kroger brand is just as good!

Edit: Milington is a suburb of Memphis and does have it's own problems. Just because you are "out" of Memphis, don't let your guard down.

Edited by db99wj

There is a reason Memphis is called the armpit of the south. I lived there over 20 years. Grew up there and I watched it go from decent to Willie town. The biggest problem for Memphis is Willie. There are some good spots, the problem is you have to go through the bad spots to get to another good spot.