12 Gauge O/U Recommendations

Guest pharen

Guest pharen

I have been browsing the Classifieds on several forums for a month now with no luck. 

I just sold my AR 15 for $1300 and want to buy a nice O/U. I can add some cash to that but do not want to get too close to $2000. 

Any recommendations on which models? I really like the Browning Citori, since I have shot my dad's a lot. 

Maybe Beretta, Caesar Guerini's seem to be out of my price range.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Browning Citori 525.  I have probably shot close to 5,000 rounds through it in 8 years, and it is absolutely as tight today as it was on the first outing.  In comparison a friend of mine bought a Ruger Red Label,  Around 1,000 rounds, the Ruger was a lot more loose.    I don't know much about the Berettas, but I have another friend that swears by them.

Spend the money for the Browning, you will not be disappointed.

Any of the above mentioned are great guns. To me, the most important is how well it fits and feels to the individual shooting it. When I switched to O/U, I started with a Red Label because I liked the looks. That was the wrong answer, because it never felt right to shoulder and my clay targets busted reflected that! Then I started shooting some friends' O/Us at the range to see what I liked. Of all, I found the underrated CZ felt really good. I bought a CZ and then a Beretta...kept them both for awhile and sold the Beretta, realizing that the CZ was my fit. They're less money and not as 'frilly' but I've burned a lot of rounds through mine with no problems. I love it. Check out their website. http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/shotguns/

But Runco is correct about the Citori, its a great gun. I still have a Browning Gold Hunter ... I've never been disappointed with a Browning.

I have a Silver Pigeon I bought used for 1,000 about 6 years ago. I've shot the crap out of it and still shoots perfect. I've got briley tubes and had a hard time with the enertia triggers due to constant gauge changing, but I found a place in Pennsylvania that hand makes and installs mechanical trigger group for 150.00 and was the best money I've ever spent on it. I'd be afraid to say how many rounds has gone down this barrel, but it's practically as tight as a new one. Fit is the most important though. Different brands have different amounts of drop and different sight pictures. It be best to shoulder a few until you find the one that shoulders to a natural sight path for you.

Pretty informative article on shotgun fit:

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?ID=129

Edited by Randall53

I have a Browning Cynery Euro, Ruger Red Label, and Beretta White Onyx.  I like all three, but the Browning fits me the best and I find that it "points" the most natural for me.  For that amount of money I would avoid the Red Label purely due to weight.  It is built well, but you feel it when carrying it a while.  The Beretta is very nice as well, close to the Browning, but not quite as good for me. 

The Citori's are great guns.  I liked the more modern looking Cynergy Euro (although I know some think it strays too far from the classic look).  I agree also that the CZ (Huglu makes it) is a nice gun, but not up to the fit and finish of the Browning or Beretta in my opinion.  

I would think you have some some nice guns stores in your area.  Go hold a few and see which wants "points" naturally when you bring it to your shoulder.  That is the one I would go with.  Once you know which one fits you the best, decide if new or used is best for you.  

Good luck with your search.

Edited by Hozzie

As others have already posted, take a look around and handle lots of o/u's.  See which one points and feels the best.

Most any o/u will outlast the shooter, even if he shoots a lot.  Most all the higher end makers [...Browning, Beretta, Winchester (...101, 96...), Remington (...3200...), SKB (...japenese...), and all the european hi grade makers...] are great shotguns.  Spend whatever your budget will allow.  Havin said all that; i think the citori is hard to beat for the money, if it fits ya.

leroy

My brother has a Rizzini FAIR 12 gauge Sporting Clay for sale, in your price range. It has a hardshell breakdown case and a full set of choke tubes. Beautiful gun. PM if you'd like his contact info, we're in Franklin, just south of Nashville.

Really depends on what your intentions are.  As mentioned the Browning is always good, especially in the basic Citori.  If you are doing high volumn shooting the x25 series are excellent.  I have a 325 I've put 5000-8000 rounds a year through for at least the past 8-10 years.  Personally would avoid the Ruger because it kicks like a mule.  If you can find an old Remington SPR, it is a Baikal, and tank strong and a really inexpensive but great hunting gun.  Heard a lot of good about CZs lately.  Not all Rizzinis are created equal.  Any of the Berrettas will be good.  But they also have good, better, and best and the $$ are higher.

I agree also that the CZ (Huglu makes it) is a nice gun, but not up to the fit and finish of the Browning or Beretta in my opinion.  

True, my Beretta Silver Onyx beside my CZ Canvasback showed what you got for the higher dollar finish wise, though the Turkish Walnut on my CZ actually looked better than my Beretta's wood. But in function, the CZ is on par. You can go higher grades on the CZs though, my Canvasback was a base gun at about $850, but you can run them up to over $2000 if you want more glitter and gold. I think the CZ Sporter MSRPs at $2500. I appreciate well built guns, but don't necessarily need a Cadillac :pleased: