New (used) Land Rover

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totaled a 2012 Nissan NISMO 370Z two weeks ago (a lady turned left in front of me)...totaled her Mercury Sabel as well as mine; I walked away with extremely minor injuries but she had some major ones.

Glad you are okay...I really like that Land Rovers; great vehicles!

My replacement vehicle (Nissan Armada) is also white...it's the first white vehicle I've had since 1975! :)

[quote name="Erik88" post="956098" timestamp="1366497297"]Good to hear. Question, is Land Rover making a better vehicle than they did in the past? Historically they were the worst with regards to reliability. I always liked they way they look though.
[/quote]

Actually yes. They are still very complex vehicles but much better.

2000-2004 Disco and Disco II were the real downfall in their reputation. 2 things set them back 1st was the oil pan was misaligned on some and caused the oil pump to go out prematurely, 2nd was some were hindered with electrical problems.

You can still get these years Discoveries that are reliable or can made so, but early on it was a crap shoot. But basically if you buy a high mileage (80K+) Disco of any year be prepared to work on it. If you're not handy with a wrench (metric of course) don't buy one that's not user warranty.

When the LR3 came out they had totally redesigned them and made even more improvements on the LR4. Neither the LR3 or LR4 had any of the problems the previous discos had. It was even awarded 2011 4x4 of the year. It's a luxury SUV that can do some really off-roading, or grocery collecting, either one.

Plus we got the 6 year/100,000 mile warranty with this one. Edited by Lumber_Jack

Mine was pretty crappy. The guy I sold it to made out like a bandit though because I had already replaced everything in it. One day when pointing out a leak under the discovery to a Land Rover mechanic, he said in reply "oh that, it's normal, it's only bad when you stop seeing a puddle"

Mine was pretty crappy. The guy I sold it to made out like a bandit though because I had already replaced everything in it. One day when pointing out a leak under the discovery to a Land Rover mechanic, he said in reply "oh that, it's normal, it's only bad when you stop seeing a puddle"

What year/model did you have?

It was a 98, 50th yr. anniversary addition, fully loaded. The weight of the suv was impressive, it felt like a tank (and drank fuel like it too). The interior held up really well but I bet the mexican I sold it to trashed it already. If automobile companies gave out awards for completion of complicated repair procedures for their vehicles, I would need a trophy room just for Land Rover. I think this world would be a better place if they did, it would encourage people to get off their ass.

Dang.  The last Land Rover I was in looked like the one Marlin Perkins would ride in Mutual of Omaha's 'Wild Kingdom' <"while Jim wrestles the crocodile into submission, we are finihing off a mint julep">.  

We ran over a pie-plate sized tarantula (in Belize) in ours and it rattled our spines. All aluminum body.  

Edited by R_Bert
I own 3 Land Rovers at the moment, and have had 4, maybe soon to be five. I love them, but won't lie about the reliability issues. The old ones leak, and need attention. I personally wouldn't buy one unless its from someone like myself who knows them and takes care of them. They are very easy to work on and mine have been pretty good. Once they are sorted they are usually great.

Land Rover really progressed in reliability when they made the move to the Jaquar 4.4 engine in 2005/2006. If anyone is ever interested in Land Rover I can answer any questions...
Guest 6.8 AR

David, I bet your truck gets better mileage than when you put the hammer down on the new one.

I'll bet it does even when the other is at idle.