Incredible Story (Think you could do this)

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

I can say with an unmitigated NO, I could not do this. We always talk about what would go in bug out bags, which gun(s) to carry, etc, food stocks, etc. How about this. Your dropped in the middle of a Forrest, no closer than 150 miles to the nearest people, in an unexplored area, in one of the most inhospitable climates on Earth, with only the clothes on your back, no bug out bag, no food, no guns, not even a fishing line. Just a pot, which would eventually rust away. How long would you last? How about 70 plus years? Oh, and you have your entire family with you and have two more kids while there. Oh, and your a woman, because your family died after the first 40 years so you live there until your in your 70's or 80's. Oh III, you not "dropped" there, you have to walk, and the only way it is accesable is by helicopter.

Incredible story. Your should read the article first before watching the video. One leads to the other.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/For-40-Years-This-Russian-Family-Was-Cut-Off-From-Human-Contact-Unaware-of-World-War-II-188843001.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt2AYafET68

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only is the story great, the video is as well!

I always try to imagine exactly what will be needed 10-20-30-40 years down the road.  Watching this video has made me realize, axes & saws are probably the (2) most valuable tools in a post SHTF situation ....

These people have generations of subzero temps and very little to worry about( I am talking modern things) I think they are just happier with what they got and make due because they dont have much.They are much hardier than we are..

I could not do it..not because of the temps..you can heat the house..I would go crazy because of lack of human interactions.And the need to hunt is not my thing..I cant kill any animals..I would feel to bad..And the threat of bears and wolfs..I cant go a day without my Kindle Fire or my laptop ..we are spoiled..:(

Guest TankerHC

These people have generations of subzero temps and very little to worry about( I am talking modern things) I think they are just happier with what they got and make due because they dont have much.They are much hardier than we are..

I could not do it..not because of the temps..you can heat the house..I would go crazy because of lack of human interactions.And the need to hunt is not my thing..I cant kill any animals..I would feel to bad..And the threat of bears and wolfs..I cant go a day without my Kindle Fire or my laptop ..we are spoiled.. :(

But look what happened the first time they got anywhere near civilization. They got hooked on Television. Good thing it wasnt 2010,11,12,13. They would have gone back in the woods and no one would have ever seen them again. :nervous:

Edited by TankerHC

The story is pretty amazing.  However, to me, while the family 'survived' in that harsh environment for decades, they did not live.  Eating potato and seed patties, always on the verge of starvation, their hearts still beating and lungs still drawing air but with nothing to really enjoy in life.  No, thanks.

Truthfully, that is why I don't worry so much about maintaining a long-term 'bug out' bag, etc.  I try to have enough supplies at home to live for a while and I could see 'bugging out' for a week or so, depending on the situation.  However, if it means surviving in the wilderness, living hand to mouth and always being miserable for years on end then screw it.  I'm not talking about always having 'luxuries', I'm just talking about not spending years just surviving and being miserable the entire time.  I'll make it as long as I can then die at home with a beer in one hand and a Spam sandwich in the other.

Edited by JAB

The story is pretty amazing.  However, to me, while the family 'survived' in that harsh environment for decades, they did not live.  Eating potato and seed patties, always on the verge of starvation, their hearts still beating and lungs still drawing air but with nothing to really enjoy in life.  No, thanks.

Truthfully, that is why I don't worry so much about maintaining a long-term 'bug out' bag, etc.  I try to have enough supplies at home to live for a while and I could see 'bugging out' for a week or so, depending on the situation.  However, if it means surviving in the wilderness, living hand to mouth and always being miserable for years on end then screw it.  I'm not talking about always having 'luxuries', I'm just talking about not spending years just surviving and being miserable the entire time.  I'll make it as long as I can then die at home with a beer in one hand and a Spam sandwich in the other.

With a "spam sammich" . .you are close behind.. that stuff is nothing but fatty lips and buttholes..ewwhh...lol

I am thinking tho.. when she was small until she did go  into teh city.. she had what she had.. and didnt know better .. so I dont think she missed it.. She doesnt even have a radio .. but she has a 400 year old book she sings out of and seems to be a happy person .. she doesnt complain...

With a "spam sammich" . .you are close behind.. that stuff is nothing but fatty lips and buttholes..ewwhh...lol

Oh, but slice Spam (not any of the knock-offs, not Treet or any of that second rate Spam wannabe junk) and fry it up nice and crispy in a skillet then put it on a sandwich with mustard and those 'parts' taste pretty, darned good!

I honestly do like the occasional fried Spam sandwich - but I was kind of using that to illustrate that I wasn't saying I had to have 'luxuries', necessarily, just that I don't want to live on mud pies with a little gravel for 'texture' and sleep in a rotten log for 40 years.

Edited by JAB