FFL transfers

Guest Voodoo_1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voodoo, I work at Range USA and first let me say I'm very pleased you chose to use us and I hope you'll choose us in the future as well. You are not the first person who has come to us after getting treated poorly from other gun shops. We try to make sure our customers are happy above all else! I hate that you were treated poorly before finding us, but I am very glad you found us.

- Charles at Range USA

Guest GlocKingTN
Voodoo, I work at Range USA and first let me say I'm very pleased you chose to use us and I hope you'll choose us in the future as well. You are not the first person who has come to us after getting treated poorly from other gun shops. We try to make sure our customers are happy above all else! I hate that you were treated poorly before finding us, but I am very glad you found us.

- Charles at Range USA

Here is the link:

http://www.rangeusa.com/OtherServices/FirearmTransfers/tabid/116/Default.aspx

Guest Voodoo_1

- Charles at Range USA

SS,

You can be assured my next FFL transfer will be at Range USA. My brother-in-law and I both love the facility,for shooting practice, and you have a great, friendly staff working there. Range USA A+ :)

Talked to Mike at Guns-R-Us in Bristol yesterday. He'll do a transfer for $25+10 for strangers and knock it down to $20+10 if you are a regular.

The rates seem to vary in different parts of the state. Frankly, I think anything over 30+10 is too much and 20+10 is reasonable. :)

Guest Voodoo_1
Talked to Mike at Guns-R-Us in Bristol yesterday. He'll do a transfer for $25+10 for strangers and knock it down to $20+10 if you are a regular.

The rates seem to vary in different parts of the state. Frankly, I think anything over 30+10 is too much and 20+10 is reasonable. :)

I'm beginning to believe that Memphis might be a little unique with $40+$10 vs the rest of the state. I'm almost positive that some, if not most, of the FFL's in Memphis have gotten together on the 15% of the new purchase price + $10 to the state garbage. The percentage + charges are the ones that ticked me off. Like has been said by many, this is just the FFLs' way of telling you that he wants his cut just as if he had sold you the gun from his stock.

Since it looks like the going rate in Memphis is $40+$10, I definitely would rather support the range I shoot at than any other FFL. Maybe they will throw in some free range time with the transfer.:up:

Thanks to all that have posted on this thread and keep the info coming. This is great information for all to use when transferring firearms.;)

Maybe they will throw in some free range time with the transfer.
Not with the transfer, but if you buy a new gun from us we include two coupons for a free lane and target, 10.00 off a class, and 10% off any merchandise you want the day you purchase your firearm. We also have really great deals for members as well. :eek:
Guest LegalRaptor

Are any of you guys experiencing this change in attitude and price (was $35.00 back in November) in your parts of the state?:D

I know all of the FFLs you mentioned in your post, and they ticked me off so bad, I became determined to find a better option. I found and now use an independent guy here in Memphis, who does firearms work part-time. I didn't want to post his name and contact info on the forum until I spoke to him, but I can now tell you he is Don Stocks, d/b/a Stocks Firearms, 901-362-9536. I assure you he is less expensive than any FFL mentioned so far in this area. He is also amenable to negotiating a deal on a gun if he can order it. I just bought an S&W 1911PD and he beat the best net/net price I could find anywhere. Totally reliable, great communication, and he is a shooter himself, to boot. He's also a heck of a nice guy.

Guest Voodoo_1
I know all of the FFLs you mentioned in your post, and they ticked me off so bad, I became determined to find a better option. I found and now use an independent guy here in Memphis, who does firearms work part-time. I didn't want to post his name and contact info on the forum until I spoke to him, but I can now tell you he is Don Stocks, d/b/a Stocks Firearms, 901-362-9536. I assure you he is less expensive than any FFL mentioned so far in this area. He is also amenable to negotiating a deal on a gun if he can order it. I just bought an S&W 1911PD and he beat the best net/net price I could find anywhere. Totally reliable, great communication, and he is a shooter himself, to boot. He's also a heck of a nice guy.

Great info for us Memphis guys. I'm sure I will be giving him a call.:up:

I'll add another to the list. I talked to Top Notch Guns at Bountville (really between Kingsport and Bristol). If you are doing a personal transfer or from another small gun dealer, they charge $20+$10. BUT if you are buying from someone like CDNN, they charge 15% plus state sales tax.

Guest Steelharp

I had one FFL, and one only, tell me he had to charge sales tax if it came from a business out of state. If it was from a private party, he didn't have to. What's up with that?

This tax thing was laid to rest several years ago. For a while, everyone thought they would have to collect it, but some ruling said no.

They can not legitimately charge sales tax for an out of state purchase. I've gone over it with Top Notch and they refuse to listen.

Maybe we can find the legal reference.

How does the dealer know how much you paid for the gun? That is betweem the buyer and the seller. I just bought a 642 S&W from my local dealer for $379.00 + $36.95 tax = $415.95, I found it at Bud's for $332.00 + $31.00 insured shipping + $25.00 transfer fee + $10.00 background check = $398.00.

I will always give my local dealer the extra $17.95, If it were not for the tax he would be cheaper. He just called me last week and let me have a trade in 3953 S&W for $300.00 out the door. Now I did buy an M&P 15 S&W last month from Bud's and saved $150.00 after all was said and done. So as you can see my local dealer takes care of me and I support him.

Can anyone guess how much a car would cost if we had this same stupid law about buying across state lines? This is one law that sreves no purpose except to make it harder on the people who purchase guns.

By the way my dealer is Hill's hardware in Union City TN, Contact David Taylor.

Guest Voodoo_1
How does the dealer know how much you paid for the gun?

The FFL finds out how much you paid for your gun from the SOLD TO:, SHIP TO: invoice that comes with the package. This would be a purchase from like CDNN or Bud's Gun Shop.

SOLD TO: you

SHIP TO: FFL

Funny, I can order some things on line and have them shipped directly to my door and not pay sales tax. I can order something and have it shipped to the store and pay sales tax.

I thought if there was a business in the state, they HAD to charge sales tax. Dell (until recently) wouldn't charge sales tax if they shipped to MS but if you shipped to TN they did (they have a manufacturing plant in Nashville.)

Don't know though I would be interested to find out. From what I have seen Scott (and the crew) at RangeUSA do get good deals on firearms and I like to support local businesses. When Tax time comes back, I might go talk to them about the Kel-Tec (if the wife will still let me.)

I couldn't find the tax law reference but it came from a Federal ruling several years ago that states could not be REQUIRED to collect sales tax on sales received in interstate commerce. It's it up to the state where the item is received.

Tennessee does not require this.

If your transfer dealer tries to collect tax on interstate sales in which they are the transfer , tell them they lost a customer and move on. For some reason I don't understand, apparently they may charge tax on the transfer fee, including the state's $10.

For those of you north of Nashville, contact Guns & Leather in Greenbrier. $25 + TICS. And they are happy to do it. Contact Dennis,owner, or Ben, Daniel, his sons, one of them is always there. I am going by this afternoon to set up a transfer.