Who has an M1A?

Spots

I have always loved the M1A riflesand finally deicded to get one. Hoping to find a wood stocked standard or loaded and build a DMR style setup. Anyone have pics they would like to share to get the juices flowing?

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere

[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/glock55/media/IMG-20130522-00018_zpsed9a58f9.jpg.html]IMG-20130522-00018_zpsed9a58f9.jpg[/URL]

This is my M1a standard with wood stock. I wanted the most original look I could get so removed the original flash suppressor and installed suppressor with bayonet lug. This is probably my favorite gun to shoot. I hope to have a Garand one day but this is a fine substitute. I know you will enjoy yours too.

Edited by glock55
  • Like 2

I had one and sold it due to the issues related to shooting commercial .308 in them. If I were to get another, it would be the 18" Scout model.

Ive done alot of looking on that and still havent found a definitive answer. Most people seem to agree that as long as its between 147 and 175 grains and the right power its fine. Did you ever have issues with it or just didnt want to risk it?

Ive done alot of looking on that and still havent found a definitive answer. Most people seem to agree that as long as its between 147 and 175 grains and the right power its fine. Did you ever have issues with it or just didnt want to risk it?

Here is a good discussion on it.  Most believe it is a myth and due to the 2 different methods of measuring PSI.  SAMMI and CUPS.

http://m14forum.com/ammunition/100445-7-62-x-51-cartridge-vs-308-winchester-differences.html

I read plenty of accounts of people who ended up with bent op-rods and just as many who said they had no issues with commercial .308 ammo.  Some commercial .308 ammo is specifically marketed as M1A safe, so I think there's probably something to it.  I figured for what one of those rifles cost, I didn't want to wonder if I would bust my rifle if the surplus ball ammo dries up.  

I also had the one with the full length barrel and wanted the 18" barrel.  A barrel swap on one of those isn't simple at all.  

I read plenty of accounts of people who ended up with bent op-rods and just as many who said they had no issues with commercial .308 ammo. Some commercial .308 ammo is specifically marketed as M1A safe, so I think there's probably something to it. I figured for what one of those rifles cost, I didn't want to wonder if I would bust my rifle if the surplus ball ammo dries up.

I also had the one with the full length barrel and wanted the 18" barrel. A barrel swap on one of those isn't simple at all.

Yeah the barrel swap seems to be a fun venture. I really want a full length 22" barreled one and just found an 18.5" LRB for a good price. Either way I need to get rid of my AR to fund this

I have a Polytech M14S. They used to be a great deal when they were 400-500 bucks. They have forged receivers, but allegedly the bolts can be soft which can lead to excessive headspace eventually. I know my bolt will close on a no-go gauge. I don't think I've tried a field gauge.

Now, the only ones I've seen for sale are 800-1000. I wouldn't pay that, but I'd scoop one up if it was $500. Replace some parts with USGI or quality aftermarket and you have a rifle that's better than a Springfield for less dough.