tracking point: the end of long range shooting?????

Guest tangojuliet

Guest tangojuliet

i just saw this news system called tracking point and was wondering if yall think this will be the end of long range shooting as a sport of skill......

Guest tangojuliet

Seems it would be easy to just ban the system from competition. If the price ever comes down, there might be fewer skilled long range shooters

letme rephrase the question will it kill long range shooting in general as a skill

There still is a lot of skill involved in long range shooting. Reading the wind, thermals and distance are all critical to long range hits. As are individual skills like shooting position, trigger discipline and breathing.

Point is, the tracking point makes those mostly irreverent. The trigger doesn't even release until the system tells it to.

- OS

Does it read the down range wind?

You enter it so it uses it in calculation. Still up to your estimation there, I reckon but you don't have to manually change anything.

Automatically reads temp and barometric pressure, though. I've always been bad about figuring those in myself. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I have an app on my Iphone that automaticall tells me elevation, barometric pressure, temps as well as any other pertinent data. Heck it even calculates how the earth's rotation affects where the bullet will hit on those longer ranges.

It gets my exact location based on my distance from various cell towers then it gets and average for the weather data between them all.

I have an app on my Iphone that automaticall tells me elevation, barometric pressure, temps as well as any other pertinent data. Heck it even calculates how the earth's rotation affects where the bullet will hit on those longer ranges.

It gets my exact location based on my distance from various cell towers then it gets and average for the weather data between them all.

But you have to use your brain and reflexes to incorporate it all,  instead of the rifle's.

I can't really see this taking off very far for civilian use, though. Certainly it won't be allowed in competition any more than an automatic golf club is.

Maybe if somebody wants to set up a robo shoot ala robot fighting matches or something.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Soultion in search of a problem.... it will obviously not be allowed in any sort of competitive arena, and it's pretty useless in any tactical scenario because the shooter doesn't have control over when the shot is actually fired (how do you engage a moving target or a in hostage scenario?).  It's really neat tech, but I don't see it doing anything other than filing segments on the Military Channel. 

Soultion in search of a problem.... it will obviously not be allowed in any sort of competitive arena, and it's pretty useless in any tactical scenario because the shooter doesn't have control over when the shot is actually fired (how do you engage a moving target or a in hostage scenario?).  It's really neat tech, but I don't see it doing anything other than filing segments on the Military Channel. 

Or hunting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu2EqO1qbrQ

Edited by timcar86

Or hunting:

if you need something like that for hunitng you shouldnt be hunting in the first place

Have these guys never heard of sneaking up on something. Or scouting then waiting and being there when they come by. What kind of sport is driving around til you see something 1000 yards away then shoot it. That is crazy. There was no sport in that.

Have these guys never heard of sneaking up on something. Or scouting then waiting and being there when they come by. What kind of sport is driving around til you see something 1000 yards away then shoot it. That is crazy. There was no sport in that.

Now that i think about it, sounds like a very useful tool for a poacher...

I think it's interesting technology and will only get better as time goes on (much like the 3D-printed liberator, this is very early in the game), but that video made me feel uneasy.  I guess it's just too video-gamey to fit with what I think of when I think of hunting, but I can see some positives as well.  A fair number of kids got some protein in their diet, and the kills were all clean (that they showed, of course).

Edited by StPatrick
Guest RedLights&Sirens

letme rephrase the question will it kill long range shooting in general as a skill

It will probably be like commercial truck drivers. Back in the day it was all stick shifts with what like 20 speeds? Now us young guys dont have to worry about it, when I took my CDL driving course I pushed a button to shift from drive, neutral and reverse while a computer does the rest. The old guys b!tch about it, basicaly you cant learn the basics and the feel of the road and your truck.

So how close should you be to make it "sporting"?