Advice on a lawn mower

Goes to lowes and get their cheapest riding mower. $800 i got the same mower and same size yard. Still runs fine 8 years later. And i didnt need the expensive name brands. Dont break the bank just to cut your grass 6 months a year.

Do not buy any mower that is made by MTD. They buy the brand and peddle their crappy engineering in pretty colorful wrappers only to have constant failures.

Google MTD (Motor Tool and Die) mowers

Buy once, cry once

You are probably right on their riding mowers or zero turns but I have had great luck with their push mowers.

I have a Yard Machine (Home Depot) branded MTD that has ran great for 3 years and actually just bought a 2nd Bolens (Lowe's) labeled MTD last night. Same mower just different color. Briggs and Stratton OHV engines on both. Our 20 year old Murray I brought back from the dead keeps throwing belts and has started cutting uneven. Rather than spend thousands on a new mower or more than $500 on a good used one I figured I could just spend $170 on a new push mower and the wife and I can split the yard and both get some exercise!

The John Deere's, Husquavarna, and such that you see in box stores are just wearing a name. Just because it is a John Deere don't think your Deere dealer will have or even be able to get parts. 

The John Deere mowers sold at big box stores are also sold at John Deere dealerships. They're the exact same models, and exact same price. That's why the box stores will sometimes run a sale where you get a free cart with the mower. They're not allowed to discount the mowers for less than the dealers sell them for.

For average lawn mowing, you'll probably be fine with about anything if you maintain it. I'd prefer a Murray to any MTD product, and I'd prefer a Deere to either. If you go JD, buy from the dealer. When the mowers arrive at the box store, they come in crates. They're uncrated and driven out front. Someone from the dealer comes by and slaps a sticker on them. When you buy from a dealer, they should actually have set the mower up. Level the deck, ensure it cuts properly, etc. 

gn:  After using an old 48 inch/ 18 hp cub cadet for 16 years to mow about an acre; i finally used it all up, gave it away, and bought a "new to me" Hustler Fastrak (...2006 model...).  It has cut my lawn mowing time by about 1/3 (...i have several trees and trim around flower beds and fence...).  It is a 52 inch cut Fastrak with a 20 HP honda. It is undoubtedly the best lawnmower ive ever used.  It's fast, rugged, and runs like a dream.   I gave $2000 for this little jewel that had been retired and traded in on a new model.  As others have said, the zero turn mower is the "tomorrow" of lawn mowing.   I would shop around if i had the time to find a good deal.   Check out a hustler, they are a great machine.

Hope this helps.

leroy

Guest 6.8 AR

I have a Deere 160 that cut a couple acres(several lawns) for 15+ years after the Clarksville Parks and

Recreation wore it out. I rebuilt it with all Deere parts and for the 15+ years on it I spent maybe 1300 on

the mower. Like a fool, I replaced it with a Craftsman(Husqvarna). Cuts great, but just not the same.

I may rebuild it, again. I still keep on looking at XRustyX's zero turn, though.

Edited by 6.8 AR
People buy the high priced mowers cause they want to be seen with a brand name.

My mtd has gone 8 years without even an oil change. Dont worry about image, buy the cheap ones and keep them out of the rain. And spend the other $1,500 on something else.

Some folks go to the extreme with thier yards and mowers. Dont be that guy. Lol

Depends on what you are mowing. I can guarantee certain brands last longer during hard use than others. I have seen brand new mowers get their decks tweaked by an accidental bump against a tree. My mother bought a Murray 3 years ago and it sits because the second time out a bump against a stump ruined it.

Me buying a Cub has zero to do with me wanting to be seen with a name brand. We live in a very remote area and I seriously doubt there has been more than 10 people who have seen our mower.

I typically mow with a Honda riding mower that I havent been able to kill in 18 years of mowing but this morning it was acting stubborn so I borrowed a 60" exmark. It took me longer to get it on and off my trailer than it did to mow. My yard isn't smooth enough to mow flat out with it but dang that thing can mow some grass in a hurry.

• Like 1

I just got a Hustler Fast track 48". It's got a 22 HP Kawasaki. It was a little out of my budget at $4,800 but I financed it and came in a little under $110 a month. It mows like a dream. The hydrostatics are silky smooth and its balanced very well. I've owned 3 zero-turns and this one by far is the best. I went with the smaller 48" because I have lots of trees. I took the roll bar off. Here's a pic of it with the lil' one "trying it out".Posted Image

• Like 1
Guest nicemac

People buy the high priced mowers cause they want to be seen with a brand name.

My mtd has gone 8 years without even an oil change. Dont worry about image, buy the cheap ones and keep them out of the rain. And spend the other $1,500 on something else.

Some folks go to the extreme with thier yards and mowers. Dont be that guy. Lol

No, people buy quality mowers that want them to last.

I really don't believe your "mtd without even an oil change for 8 years" story unless you have had it in storage for 7 years. MTD's are junk and will not last that long without an oil change. On the other hand, why would you NOT change oil in your equipment? It is only about a quart of oil or $3.