mosin nagant woods gun

Guest jrbaker90

Guest jrbaker90
I have a mosin nagant m44 carbine and I have thought about using it in the woods this hunting season and I just need some advice . Minds is really accurate and IM really good with it too. I would be hunting on lower hatchie national refuge and John Tully wma thanks
Guest jrbaker90
if anybody how used one before I only have soft point 200gr I was just think the m44 is short and compact my isn't that heavy for IM use too carry a KY long rifle so that part don't bother me
I'm very familiar with the area, but your talking about a wide swath of various terrain types that includes top-land, bottoms, swamps, hills, cliffs, vales, farm land, dense woods, lots of thick tangled underbrush in a lot of areas, etc.

There are not a lot of houses &/or other people around those parts, I rarely if ever encounter anyone while I'm out on my adventures, but I'd still be wary using a full-blown rifle round, scouting out and picking a safe "kill zone" & not shooting at anything outside of that known to be safe kill zone would be my first piece of advice.

How exactly are you planning on hunting? Have you hunted before? Have you hunted the area before? Have you scouted the area you are intending to hunt? Are you putting up a treestand? Have you baited or salted the area? Are you planning on stalking? Hunting on or across water?

There is a good population of deer in the area, most of them are pretty small, there are a few decent "freezer worthy" sized deer but I've never seen a "trophy worthy" sized buck out here.
Guest jrbaker90
I am planning on hunting the bigger part of lower hatchie at shankle lake rd I have deer hunted I've killed 7 so far just not around here I really don't know alot about Tully I am planning on Scout it before I go. I am planning on getting one a high ridge and just sit and wait unless I can get a stand by then Edited by jrbaker90
Scouting is key, find the areas where the herd of deer your intending on hunting beds down, what paths they take to/from the water & where they usually like to forage for food.

Try not to spook them, stay down wind, don't take a leak, don't smoke or wear cologne, be very quiet, etc.

Once you know their habits, you can pick a spot to hide in wait for them at.
Guest Aces&8s

I have had good results with Silver Bear 203 gr. SP with my m91/30.  A friend of mine hunts with Sellier & Bellot 180 gr. SP, but I haven't tried it yet.

• 1 year later...