Glock Night Sight suggestions

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a sight pusher, they are not terrible to install. Most aftermarket front sights screw on with a 3/16" nut, although some are staked on, like a Glock factory front sight. I prefer the screw-on kind. If you don't have a sight pusher, but are somewhat mechanically inclined, a vise and a pinch punch or even a piece of dowel will work. A gunsmith usually charges about $25 to put them on. Here are a few websites for aftermarket sights:

http://www.ameriglo.net/weapon_site/store_pages/index.htm

http://www.trijicon-inc.com/User/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=7

http://www.meprolightoutlet.com/

I've got Trijicon Tritium XS sights on my 21sf and absolutely love them.They're the vertical line rear sight and dot front sight, so there's no question of three dots being aligned wrong in the dark. They're bright, quick to line up and snag free. I highly recommend them.

They're exactly like these (24/7s) but branded Trijicon and on a glock.

Smith_mnp.jpg

Edited by fizik
pic
Guest GLOCK2340

I have a Glock 23 and I put Meprolight TruDot night sights on it and love them!! They are contrasting, back yellow front green, which really makes it easy to get on target quick. When I got mine at the dealer he put them on for free. So I would just ask if the dealer would do for you.:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
Guest VolGrad

I tried the XS Big Dots on a G30 and initially liked them so much I put them on a G19 and Sig 229. That lasted only a couple of months. They were quick to pick up and get on target at close range. However, I felt at that close range I was more likely to point shoot in a defensive situation. You can train to shoot the Big Dots at longer distances but it isn't nearly as easy for me. I felt I was giving up too much in accuracy for the marginal increase in speed.

I also found that transitioning to this sight picture from the 3 dots on my other pistols slowed me down a bit. I am not sure I really gained any speed with them at all as a result.

I sold them off and replaced all with with contrasting color Meprolights. I haven't looked back.

look at the Tru-Glo's with the fiber optics. they glow even in daytime- the brighter the light source, the brighter your sights. at night they are the same as any other tritium sights.

look at the Tru-Glo's with the fiber optics. they glow even in daytime- the brighter the light source, the brighter your sights. at night they are the same as any other tritium sights.

another big +1 on the TFO's. Super bright during the day and the clearest night sight picture in low light I've seen from night sights.

• Administrator

Glock has probably done more to create jobs in the aftermarket pistol sight industry than any other manufacturer. All by virtue of the fact that their standard sights suck major bilge water. :love:

That being said, there are literally hundreds of possible candidates for your new sights. I would really recommend trying to get your hands and eyes on as many of them as possible before buying any one in particular. I've gone through three sights of night sights on my own Glock 19, trying to find a set that I really liked. And the problem is, I've really liked all of them but I end up seeing something else that looks like I would really like more and then the process starts over again.

I am presently using Warren Tactical / Sevigny Carry sights with tritium inserts on my Glock 19. It is a dot-on-dot arrangement similar to the Heinie Straight Eights.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest VolGrad

I have tried a buddies Ameriglos recently ... the regular three dot Operators. I liked them quite a bit too. The front sight is more narrow than what I am used to ... at least it seemed that way. I liked it. I might try them next time I need NS.

I don't think they can be recharged but I have heard of new vials being inserted in some custom sights. You would need to remove the old ones and insert new in your gun. I'd say it would be cheaper to buy new ones.

I don't think they can be recharged but I have heard of new vials being inserted in some custom sights. You would need to remove the old ones and insert new in your gun. I'd say it would be cheaper to buy new ones.

That's what I meant by "recharging" my old meprolights......putting in new vials instead of buying whole new sights. So it's cheaper to just go ahead and get new ones?

new sights are located here. http://www.ombexpress.com/search.asp?q=night+sights

$52 to $72 + tax depending on what "flavor" you want. Mepro-Lite, Trijicon or the Glock brand night sights.

my 33 had the trijicons that were 12 years old, a bit faded but still glowed a little. i havent gotten any for the 27 yet, but that will hopefully come soon enough.

Edited by cadillacdude1975
Guest VolGrad

Like DVC said ... I have "heard" of folks having the vials replaced but have never actually heard who does that. You can get brand new sights for under $75 so I don't really see the point. To have the vials replaced you would have to ship your gun, slide, or sights off to whomever you can find that does that service. I personally would rather not do that if possible. Just send me the new sights and I'll put them on myself.

FWIW - I buy my sights from Top Gun Supply. Tom has great prices and super fast shipping. He also sells contrasting color Meps for the same price IIRC.

Like DVC said ... I have "heard" of folks having the vials replaced but have never actually heard who does that. You can get brand new sights for under $75 so I don't really see the point. To have the vials replaced you would have to ship your gun, slide, or sights off to whomever you can find that does that service. I personally would rather not do that if possible. Just send me the new sights and I'll put them on myself.

FWIW - I buy my sights from Top Gun Supply. Tom has great prices and super fast shipping. He also sells contrasting color Meps for the same price IIRC.

+1 for Tom at Top Gun Supply...began doing business with him via the SigForum...great prices and insane service!

Guest Todd@CIS

I have the XS Big Dots on my G19, XD45, and all my AKs...great combat sights.

Sights are a very personal decision. If I didn't use the Big Dots, I'd probably use the Warren Tactical sights or Heinie Straight Eights. I'm not crazy about 3-dot nightsights...I think 1-dot or 2-dot sights are faster.

If 3-dot sights are used, I prefer Mepros to Trijicon...the Mepro white dots are bigger and easier to see.

Again, no right or wrong, just what works for you.

Guest jackdog

For defense ,which will more than likely be 7 yrds. or less you need to point shoot. Night sights are a pure waste of time in my opinion not to mention money

Guest Todd@CIS
For defense ,which will more than likely be 7 yrds. or less you need to point shoot. Night sights are a pure waste of time in my opinion not to mention money

JackDog, respectfully I'd have to disagree.

I'm thinking back to specific incidents that I've had that taught me the value of nightsights.

These were LE situations and some might make a case between the differences in these and "civilian" incidents. However, my feeling is that a handgun fight is a handgun fight and you will not know the circumstances of your fight.

I will take every reasonable edge that I can...for me, nightsights have proven that they are worth their cost.

Regards

Edited by Todd@CIS