help me pick a pistol

Guest unreconstructed1

Guest unreconstructed1

while I love my C9 and I still plan to carry it when my permit arrives, certain factors have prompted me to pick another pistol to carry most of the time. among the reasons for this decision are the fact that I would like to have something with a little more capacity, and something with a larger amount of aftermarket support. here are the qualities I a looking for:

• capacity- I want something with 10+1 or greater capacity.
  • price. while my first choice of pistol would be a 1911, but I really can't lay down 700+ right now
  • SA/DA, with an exposed hammer. just a personal preference
  • aftermarket support. one of my biggest complaints is the fact that holster selection for the C9 is pathetically low. I would also like a pistol that I could buy one of those internal lasers for
  • caliber- I would prefer something in .40 or .45

any suggestions would be helpful.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rufusgooch

If you like your c9; I have the perfect gun for you. I carry a beretta 9000 40. After I bought it I found a c9: what a nice gun. Cheap to shoot(cheaper than a 40). The weight distribution and grips on the beretta 9000 are the same as the c9. After shooting a 9000 in both the 40 10+1 and 9mm 12+1; the 9mm is more accurate and less recoil. If you cannt find a 9000 9mm look for a px4. If your comfortable with the c9 you will be VERY happy with the 9000

Guest abailey362
used Sig 229? The .40 holds 12+1.

x2

I just got one yesterday and it shoots great, looks like plenty of aftermarket support, has a tac rail...and is sexy.

Guest unreconstructed1

one of the guys on another forum I frequent recommended a rock Island .45. any of ya'll own one or have any relevent info regarding them? If it'll accept standard aftermarket 1911 parts, and performs adequately, I believe I may have just found my new gun.

Guest abailey362

the mil-spec RIA's are just that, mil-spec so they will accept anything true to a 1911 design. They do make a compact that would be limited to parts made for guns that size. I know brandonTN on here has a compact...maybe he will chim in on it, but last time I talked to him he said it was a great little gun, especially for the price.

The mil-spec guns look just like they came out of a time machine....feel like it too

Guest GUTTERbOY

The RIA 1911s seem to have a pretty good rep from what I've read. I've thought about picking one up on the cheap before, but never did it... at this point, I think I'm more likely to pick up a stainless PT1911 instead.

Another good choice for "budget" pistols are the Ruger P-series. They ain't the prettiest things on the block, but they're tough as nails and will eat just about anything. They can be had new in the mid-$400 range generally.

the mil-spec RIA's are just that, mil-spec so they will accept anything true to a 1911 design. They do make a compact that would be limited to parts made for guns that size. I know brandonTN on here has a compact...maybe he will chim in on it, but last time I talked to him he said it was a great little gun, especially for the price.

The mil-spec guns look just like they came out of a time machine....feel like it too

heheheh that weapon has been killing bad guys for nigh on 2 centuries!! ya can't go wrong with that kind of record!

RIA has a pretty good rep.. not some thing to use for competition where you expect to put 30k+ down the pipe each year, but they hold up pretty well with casual shooting.

Pretty much the same class as charles Daly and all the other Filipino made 1911's (and probably all from the same factory)

Guest unreconstructed1

well, ya'll despite the fact that it doesn't meet ALL my criteria, I've decided to save up for a Rock Island arms 1911. one thing that troubles me though, is I read somewhere that they don't have a drop safety. is this true? if it is, is there any way one can be installed?

Guest Mugster

It's probably possible but not economically feasible. A good gunsmith could probably get it done by replacing most or all of your trigger for a series 80 colt style. I'm not sure it's really necessary, and quite possibly its just a ralph nader device invented by colt's lawyers in the early 1980's. With that said, I selected handguns that do block the firing pin in a positive manner, but not necessarily through the series 80 system. I figure, it can't hurt, so why not.

Two things.

You can not combine the words capacity,and 1911 in one sentence.

Sure there are some double stacks,but not on a budget.

Second,your budget will not support a firearm,and a LaserMax guide rod laser.

Your looking at 350~ for most,and upwards 400 bucks for a 1911 LM.

Guest GUTTERbOY
RIA makes a double-stack 1911... 13+1, about the same price as one of their standard models.

Thing is, for me at least, that (presumably) negates one of the big advantages to the 1911, namely the slim profile compared to typical double-stack guns.

They make 15rd 'esstended' single-stack 'clips' too, those are narrow :shrug: Stick a couple of those in a back pocket, and carry the gun with an 8-rounder in it (or just carry with a horizontal shoulder holster, to keep the long mag concealed)

Guest Sancman

Are there any ranges close to you where you can rent a pistol to try it out?

Try some of the ones you like and try some of the suggestions. Best way to find out how you like it, before you buy.....

RIA has a pretty good rep.. not some thing to use for competition where you expect to put 30k+ down the pipe each year, but they hold up pretty well with casual shooting.

Pretty much the same class as charles Daly and all the other Filipino made 1911's (and probably all from the same factory)

Yep, Armscor.http://www.armscor.com.ph/products.htm very good reputation BTW. the only knock will come from the custom guys who paid a lot more for there "name" brands.

any suggestions would be helpful.

Well… you list capacity and price at the top. That’s a Tupperware gun. 15 rounds of .40 for under $500.

You list aftermarket support…. Plenty of stuff available for the top Tupperware guns or 1911's.

.40 or .45 caliber. You can have either. Although .40 is more popular in the Tupperware guns.

So based on the price range it sounds like you want to stay within, if you drop the SA/DA with exposed hammer requirement you will be at the top of the Tupperware line instead of the bottom of the 1911 line.

Guest m14man

id say hk or sigs but you lookin to spend right at 700 again so go with the 1911, unless you want a none exposed hammer then look at glock or xd.