Texas list of executed fellons

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the only thing sad I can see is the fact that these men wasted their lives in the pursuit of evil ways.  Society being shed of them isn't really all that sad IMO.  

Society is better off without them as well as taxpayers.  There are 500 people on just that list.  Multiply that by how much they cost to imprison and I imagine the number would be quite shocking.  Now that money is free to serve the good citizens of that state.  

You don't have to enjoy something, to do it.  Some things just need to be done.  

Well, the only thing sad I can see is the fact that these men wasted their lives in the pursuit of evil ways. Society being shed of them isn't really all that sad IMO.
Society is better off without them as well as taxpayers. There are 500 people on just that list. Multiply that by how much they cost to imprison and I imagine the number would be quite shocking. Now that money is free to serve the good citizens of that state.

You don't have to enjoy something, to do it. Some things just need to be done.

It's actually been proven that it's more expensive to execute someone than imprison them.

It's actually been proven that it's more expensive to execute someone than imprison them.

Not to be argumentative but I just don't see that. If what you say is true they are getting screwed.
I know I eat more in a day than a lethal dose of potassium chloride costs. Edited by Caster
  • Moderators

Consider though what the cost of capital punishment could be in regard to imprisonment. I don't necessarily agree with all cases of capital punishment, but in those cases that we do use it, why prolong it so long? Take the very bottom most case:

Brooks went to a car lot under the pretense of wanting to test drive a car. A mechanic accompanied him on the drive. Brooks stopped to pick up a co-defendant. The mechanic was put in the trunk of the car. Brooks and his co-defendant went to a motel. The mechanic was brought out of the trunk and taken into a motel room. The mechanic was bound with coat hangers, gagged with adhesive tape, and shot in the head, causing his death. Brooks and the co-defendant fled the scene.

Statement to the Media: I, at this very moment, have absolutely no fear of what may happen to this body. My fear is for Allah, God only, who has at this moment the only power to determine if I should live or die... As a devout Muslim, I am taught and believe that this material life is only for the express purpose of preparing oneself for the real life that is to come... Since becoming Muslim, I have tried to live as Allah wanted me to live.

Spoken:

Yes, I do. 
I love you. 
Asdadu an la ilah illa Allah, 
Asdadu an la ilah illa Allah, 
Asdadu anna Muhammadan Rasul Allah,
Asdadu anna Muhammadan Rasul Allah. 
I bear witness that there is no God but Allah. 
I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. 
Inna li-Allah wa-inna ilayhi rajiun. 
Verily unto Allah do we belong, Verily unto him do we return.
Be strong.

-Charlie Brooks, Jr. #592

Accepted into death row on 4/25/1978, executed 12/07/1982.

Consider the cost of feeding and boarding him for a day and compare it to the cost of a 9mm ball cartridge. Which is cheaper? Funeral you ask? Who would be responsible for his funeral if Charlie Brooks, Jr had died accidentally in a car crash? Here Charlie Brooks, Jr, by the very looks of it, apparently planned 1st degree murder against someone. If anyone should pay for his funeral and the 9mm ball cartridge that takes his life, it should be anyone that cares to see him put into the ground vs cremated or the like. 

It could be much, much cheaper.

Guest Emtdaddy1980
I've often wondered what the point was of them going to the expense of using medical grade equipment and sterile one time use procedures when putting someone to death.

Bulk of the expense for execution comes from the high cost of the mandatory appeals process, which often takes decades to run it's course.  Texas usually manages to expedite the process more than most states, but recent rulings by the higher courts regarding guidelines for appeals have slowed their adjudication to roughly the same rate as other states.  Second, the cost of defending the legality of using capital punishment in state and federal courts is figured into the overall expense of executing prisoners in most studies thus far.  In addition, "death-row" incarceration is expensive as well, as they are separated from the general population for the time their appeals processes run.  The studies mentioned above have shown that the overall cost to the state is higher for completed executions than the average expense to incarcerate for life, but there are detractors who dispute the methodology of the studies, and cost varies widely from case to case.

My synopsis of several articles I've read over the years when I first doubted the validity of these claims.

Guest TankerHC

Several really good list books on this and crime and punishment. Some of those guys who wen to the chair, chamber and noose back from 1935 or so on back were pretty hardcore. You rarely read one where they were not totally defiant in their last days, especially the gangsters.

The "gangsters" today of course do everything possible to stay alive as long as possible. Back then, convicted, you had months at best and days at worst, depending on when the judge decided to carry out the sentence.

I can understand it today though, with all those "good boys" who only killed because of their upbringing.

A good thing to say when your lying on that gurney would be "I'm sorry".

Its only more expensive because the taxpayer has to pay for endless appeals on worthless grounds and cover the cost of defending a murderer for 30 years before the sentence is carried out.

For those who say Capital Punishment isn't a deterrent, how many of those executed ever killed another innocent person, or committed another crime? That seems to be a pretty good deterrent.

Edited by TankerHC

Only because the state has to pay for all the trials and appeals.  Sometimes even has to pay for the defense council.

The Court and lawyers are what costs so much.

I am sure the lethal drugs cost next to nothing. 

If by change the drugs are to actually expensive, they could round up ammo for a firing squad or even use a Coal Fired electrical plant for the electric chair.   For those in CA, they can use a solar powered electric chair but I believe it will take a bit longer.

Only because the state has to pay for all the trials and appeals.  Sometimes even has to pay for the defense council.

The Court and lawyers are what costs so much.

I am sure the lethal drugs cost next to nothing. 

If by change the drugs are to actually expensive, they could round up ammo for a firing squad or even use a Coal Fired electrical plant for the electric chair.   For those in CA, they can use a solar powered electric chair but I believe it will take a bit longer.

And they can get them out of Mexico for even cheaper

I would say the state pays for the defense in most cases. I would guess most states are like Tennessee in that the accused  has to be represented by a trial lawyer that has death penalty case experience and meets state requirements. Tennessee maintains a list of qualified attorneys; there are very few Public Defenders on it.

I would say the state pays for the defense in most cases. I would guess most states are like Tennessee in that the accused  has to be represented by a trial lawyer that has death penalty case experience and meets state requirements. Tennessee maintains a list of qualified attorneys; there are very few Public Defenders on it.

Agreed, I doubt many death row inmates have the resources to hire death case attorneys for 20 years or more...

lawyers on these cases also need Circuit and SCOTUS experience as well.

Edited by No_0ne

Not to be argumentative but I just don't see that. If what you say is true they are getting screwed.
I know I eat more in a day than a lethal dose of potassium chloride costs.

I agree it doesn't make sense but look it up. I've read several articles that break down the costs, it's quite shocking honestly. 

I agree it doesn't make sense but look it up. I've read several articles that break down the costs, it's quite shocking honestly. 

It's not shocking at all if you stop to really think about it.  People in this thread already hit some of the high points.

Trial costs

food costs

housing costs

paying them a wage for their work in the prison - or- the added costs of keeping them in solitary confinement

paying the staff

etc, etc, etc

Part of it has been a perversion of our legal system that keeps cases alive/appealed for decades