Any Scuba Divers on TGO?

I loved drift diving off the Palm Beach Coast.  Lots of unforgettable memories from catching lobster, seeing Moray Eels, sting rays six feet across, bull sharks swimming under me during the safety stop,  diving in 40 foot swells of a  hurricane a long ways away, 8 foot long barracuda, swimming through wrecks, a statue in 60 feet of water, free flowing air tanks, coming up and not seeing the dive boat anywhere.  I could go on and on.

I loved drift diving off the Palm Beach Coast.  Lots of unforgettable memories from catching lobster, seeing Moray Eels, sting rays six feet across, bull sharks swimming under me during the safety stop,  diving in 40 foot swells of a  hurricane a long ways away, 8 foot long barracuda, swimming through wrecks, a statue in 60 feet of water, free flowing air tanks, coming up and not seeing the dive boat anywhere.  I could go on and on.

I think I saw that movie.

Guest drv2fst

One of my first 2-tank dives, we were on the boat waiting for time to get back in.  It was about time to get back in the water when someone yelled SHARK!.  Everyone rushed to where they could get a look.  We saw a big shark 6ft+.  I was surprised to see everyone rushing to get their gear on and get in.  I expected we would just wait it out or move to another dove spot, but NO.  Everyone got in the water as fast as they could and started after the shark.  Like a lemming I followed.  Since I swim faster than most I figured I'd be pretty safe.

I was amazed at how different divers think from most people.  After they see the shark they race to get INTO the water.  Strange but fun bunch.

PADI Advanced Open Water and Nitrox, don't know how many dives, but it's in the hundreds, most in Cozumel and Bonaire.  There's nowhere I'd rather be than 60' down in clear water at dusk with a spear and the Lionfish starting to poke their heads out.  Own my own gear, have been to Pennyroyal a couple times for classes / staying sharp.

PADI certified years and years ago.  Haven't been since my last checkout dive.    Too many other expensive hobbies.

I guess it's just a bit of McGyver-ish-ness.

edit: I'm guessing our wealth of responses has to do with the "be prepared, be equipped" mindset that we all seem to have...

Edited by Peace
  • 4 weeks later...

When I was still in Hawaii, I ended up keeping the tanks at home. I took up free diving and fell in love again. Used to go down 50' on a breath of air with just a mask, fins, and weight belt and eff with the openwater classes. They would try to hand me the octo. heh. Good times. Had a couple of close calls running out of breath, seeing starbursts while rushing to the top. Went spearfishing off the south shore and had a momma and baby white tip reef shark swim about 15' below me. Miss it allot. The quarries here will not let you get in the water without a BCD or life vest on.

I was an SSI instructor for a small Houston dive shop back in the late 70s.  For our final checkout dives, we boarded an old bus and traveled all night to Destin/Ft. Walton Beach in the Florida panhandle.  After the ocean dives, we headed inland to De Funiak Springs for some introductory cave diving experience--NOT MY IDEA, but had to go along with it.  I trained my wife-to-be in scuba and was married shortly thereafter.  I turned in my gear and instructor certification after that because, well, that's how I met my wife and she's no dummy.  I really enjoyed diving Grand Cayman and Cozumel, but doubt if I'll ever get back into the sport.

A bunch of cowboys and I were having lunch after a match a couple of weeks ago when the subject of diving came up.  My daughter and SIL have dive logs full of different certifications but rented most of their gear to dive.  That led to another cowboy saying he didn't dive anymore but had lots of gear.  That resulted in a trade for a Smith 4013 I had gotten for Obama insurance.  I got tanks and belts, weights, knives, lamps, floats, bags everything they needed to not have to rent.  My Dr daughter cried she was so happy.  Everybody won.  A pistol just sitting at the bottom of my gun safe is in the hands of somebody who will shoot it.  Scuba gear in a  dusty box unused now get used 2-3 times a month.  Everybody's happy happy happy.

Cherokee Slim

I was certified by the B.S.A.C. and a member in the mid 60's.  Did several trips and then was married and had kids which ended my diving.  I don't see much B.S.A.C.activity these days.

• 7 months later...
I stopped at a place called the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, NM the other day and watched a couple guys dive. I have always wanted to get certified. I have time with SCBA when I was a fire fighter but nothing under water. I am thinking about getting certified in Franklin very soon. I need another expensive hobby. Any suggestions for a newbie wanting to start? Edited by glowdotGlock
I am PADI certified advanced diver. I have not done much salt water diving, due to being in TN, but I have done quite a lot of diving in Dale Hollow lake. It's a really nice lake, with 60 + foot visibility, since the corp of engineers owns most of the land around it. It has been 15 years since I dove there, buy at the time, they had 2 or 3 dive shops on the lake. The most interesting diving I got to do was at the Chattanooga aquarium, as a volunteer diver. Got to dive the gulf tank and the Nickojack tank to feed the fish. Nothing like diving with an audience.
  • Like 1
It's a bit of an effort around here. I'd suggest starting with used equipment because a lot of people (like me) just find it too much effort. It's a cool thing to do though and I can see where people would become addicted to it. If we were closer to salt water, I think I would have stuck with it more. Edited by tnguy
  • Like 1