ATF Approved This LOL

mcordell

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/sig-sauer-p556-classic-pistol-with-sb15-pistol-stabilizing-brace-detail.html?Itemid=0

http://www.slickguns.com/product/sig-sauer-p556-556-nato-10-barrel-30-rnds-sb15-stabilizing-brace-1199-shipped#comments

Just found out about this "handgun" ... Looks like it would work as a stock easily but it's considered a "stabilizer brace"

For $139.00 you can buy the Sig SB15 Stabilizing Brace from sig directly... It will fit your standard AR buffer tube...

http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/sb15-pistol-stabilizing-brace-552.aspx Edited by mcordell
Guest 6.8 AR

Do you guys just have something against innovation, or do you work for the BATFE? Look a little closer. It

isn't a stock, but could be used for one, I guess.

I guess I view this as an example that the BATFE knows their regulations aren't based in congressional legislation

and could make no legitimate argument, instead of being the pompous ass alphabet agency it usually is. You

shouldn't have to pay a tax to use a firearm. That's fundamentally unconstitutional, guys. Keep on believing some

of the myths they want you to believe. Someone will eventually show you otherwise.

Innovation is a good thing. It sometimes shows some that their laws are written poorly, by people who have but one goal.

i completely understand how the divice works, I just dont like it.  I dont like the ATF SBR process either, but I dont want to have to verlco strap my gun to my arm to use it. 

My AR pistol works perfectly fine as is.  If i want a stock, I'll play the game, if not I'll just leave it like it is

Edited by Lumber_Jack

Who said you have to use the velcro?

That said, I don't see this as being a big improvement over a naked buffer tube on an AR-pistol. It does make a difference on that Sig P556 though that doesn't have a buffer tube.

Edited by monkeylizard
Guest 6.8 AR

i completely understand how the divice works, I just dont like it.  I dont like the ATF SBR process either, but I dont want to have to verlco strap my gun to my arm to use it. 

My AR pistol works perfectly fine as is.  If i want a stock, I'll play the game, if not I'll just leave it like it is

As does mine. I built a pistol with the understanding of certain guidelines, ever so stupid, but there nonetheless. I

don't know how that device would help much with anyone, other than someone who has problems with steadying

a weapon like a person missing an arm, or similar, but that makes it a reasonable device for some.

I don't like the process of getting an otherwise rifle or other device, like the NFA restricts, either. Any time something like

this comes along, I rather cherish the innovation, though. One of these days the NFA, along with the rest of the silliness

will cease to exist. Yep, just a dream. :D

Guest Lester Weevils

This is most likely a dumb idea, but if you have a registered SBR don't you need to get prior permission to carry it out of state?

In that case, if this non-registered not-a-stock happened to be ergonomic for a particular user, then for instance since I live within miles of the GA line-- With an SBR in the truck I'd have to make sure not to accidentally drive on a road that would temporarily take me thru GA or AL, but with this gadget, I could drive thru GA or AL with no legal risk?

This is most likely a dumb idea, but if you have a registered SBR don't you need to get prior permission to carry it out of state?

In that case, if this non-registered not-a-stock happened to be ergonomic for a particular user, then for instance since I live within miles of the GA line-- With an SBR in the truck I'd have to make sure not to accidentally drive on a road that would temporarily take me thru GA or AL, but with this gadget, I could drive thru GA or AL with no legal risk?

Since it is still a "pistol", I believe your HCP would cover it or am I wrong?

Guest Lester Weevils

Yeah, I may be misunderstanding the law. With that "not-a-stock" stock, it ought to be legal in most southern states especially with the HCP. But I thought if you have a tax-stamped SBR, you need to get a permission letter to take the weapon out of state? Maybe that is wrong information.

Just saying, if that is the case, this "not-a-stock" stock would be more hassle-free than a tax-stamped SBR?

Either have a 5320.20 for a year at a time or have a spare 16" upper.  Once you drop that spare upper on, it is no longer under NFA purview. 

I completely understood how it was intended to be used when I made this thread .... But how many people that buy it are gonna use it like that??

This was my question the first time I saw this device, prior to this thread.  looks to me like an elaborate way to get a "shoulder-able" device on a pistol with a psuedo permision from ATF. 

Question is, if your seen using the device as a shoulder type stock are you no longer safe under the ATF approval?

Hell, I'd probably give it a try if it werent so expensive

This was my question the first time I saw this device, prior to this thread. looks to me like an elaborate way to get a "shoulder-able" device on a pistol with a psuedo permision from ATF.

Question is, if your seen using the device as a shoulder type stock are you no longer safe under the ATF approval?

Hell, I'd probably give it a try if it werent so expensive

My thoughts exactly

If it was in the $50-$75 range I would try it
Guest Lester Weevils

If a fella wanted to push his luck, with the thing still a pistol with a funny looking grip brace, a HCP holder could drive around with a round in the chamber, but with an SBR, nope that is a rifle and no round in the chamber.

If stopped with a round in the chamber of this "pistol" I'm guessing some popo might give a feller static about it, even if the "pistol" owner is legally in the clear?

Guest 6.8 AR

I think that is subject to state laws defining pistols and rifles. Not sure, though.

If a fella wanted to push his luck, with the thing still a pistol with a funny looking grip brace, a HCP holder could drive around with a round in the chamber, but with an SBR, nope that is a rifle and no round in the chamber.

If stopped with a round in the chamber of this "pistol" I'm guessing some popo might give a feller static about it, even if the "pistol" owner is legally in the clear?

Lester,

I carry an AR pistol in my truck, but I do not chamber a round.  Mag is loaded and bolt locked open.  I do that for the very questions you have asked.  too much left to the interpretation of the officer at hand.  I believe that any pistol is covered under all the laws of your HCP wether its a standard Glock or an AR pistol, but convincing a unknowing police officer of that may be more difficult than it should be. 

Guest Lester Weevils

Lester,

I carry an AR pistol in my truck, but I do not chamber a round.  Mag is loaded and bolt locked open.  I do that for the very questions you have asked.  too much left to the interpretation of the officer at hand.  I believe that any pistol is covered under all the laws of your HCP wether its a standard Glock or an AR pistol, but convincing a unknowing police officer of that may be more difficult than it should be. 

Thanks Lumber_Jack, interesting. Since you do so much work out in the boonies, a "big pistol" probably makes good sense for you to tote around.

With or without this "brace" you may get static from a LEO with any of the "rifle-based" pistols (AR, Draco, etc) even if you're legally in the clear. See Kwik at Radnor. Add in this legal brace-that's-really-just-a-non-adjustable-stock and even a LEO knowledgable of those laws will take a second look at you.

• Like 1