Maryville's Mayor is anti-2nd Amendment

Well, why doesn't someone just post the link to the Maryville bookface so we're all on the same page?  Thanks.

Has anyone down there bothered to call the Mayor's office or what they have for a newspaper?

It is posted above in the thread. Here it is again- https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maryville-City-Government/169766503036004

Posted a response to their censoring. Here it is again for when it will surely disappear- 

"Censoring comments? There is nothing profane or improper in my questioning Mayor Taylor's involvement with Michael Bloomberg's anti- 2nd Amendment group MAIG. Is Maryville's city government that far left now?"

Guest Bonedaddy

I've got an account and always stay signed in. I looked right after I read that and they were gone. Actually, I don't think there were "any" post showin' on anything the city posted. It's like everything was censored.

I've got an account and always stay signed in. I looked right after I read that and they were gone. Actually, I don't think there were "any" post showin' on anything the city posted. It's like everything was censored.

I still see both my comments there.  Maybe it is a glitch with book Facebook?

The last two comments, as well as his site-rating are still there

Edited by R_Bert

The announcement says that the event has sponsors, but the city of Maryville is one of them.  This is where Bloomberg's money comes in, I reckon.

IIRC the funding comes through a special grant fund at the USDOJ and departments who sponsor an event also get support, usually food donations and the like, from local businesses.

The last two comments, as well as his site-rating are still there

Thanks for checking.  If any of you with a Facebook account want to jump in an comment on their page it would be a great help.  May put a bit of pressure on them.

Been on an overnight backpacking trip with my son.  I see they deleted all the comments but mine from the Facebook page.  They deleted my comment and site rating (where it says "What do you think about this place?").  Strange doings.

Gun sane, did you ever get a call back from the Managing Editor of the Maryville Daily Times?  I'm going to give the Taylor and the the Times a call on Monday as well.  After the huge 2nd Amendment rally we had at the court house you'd think these politicians and their minions would have taken notice.

Gun sane, did you ever get a call back from the Managing Editor of the Maryville Daily Times?  I'm going to give the Taylor and the the Times a call on Monday as well.  After the huge 2nd Amendment rally we had at the court house you'd think these politicians and their minions would have taken notice.

Not a word.  I was going to pay a visit to the paper next week.  I used to work at the Houston Chronicle about 40 years ago, when journalism was more of an honorable profession.  Journalists today rely on press releases and dog and pony shows.

Mayor Jerry Gist, Jackson, TN
Mayor Thomas W. Taylor, Maryville, TN
Mayor A C Wharton, Memphis, TN
Mayor Tom Beehan, Oak Ridge, TN
Mayor Bill Lusk, Signal Mountain, TN

You forgot one.

Mayor Bill Haslam, Knoxville TN

Haslam is no longer Mayor of Knoxville or a member of MAIG.  He's the Governor of TN and has been for the past 2 years.

Please try to keep up. 

I am quite aware of that, just reminding some that he was, and still is an anti, that's why I didn't vote for him for Gov. and will never vote for him. He only "pretends" to be pro to buy votes.

Please learn to recognize sarcasm.

Edited by K191145

Maryville's Facebook page has now been updated at the top to read,

"The purpose of the City's Facebook page is to provide information regarding events, road closures, and other items as it effects residents' daily life.  If you would like to address any other topics, you are invited to attend our council meetings held every first Thursday at 7 p.m."

They deleted everyone's comment there except the two of mine.

Guest 6.8 AR

Well, isn't this the ancestral home of Lamar Alexander, our world famous RINO?

I'd pose a question like "How many mayors in our state are actually in favor of the 2nd Amendment?",

rather than just this. I would say there are plenty in TN, once having reached the office, gaining the power

of it, deciding which side of the barrel they like best. Very few in politics stay uncorrupted. Many stick their

finger in the wind to stay elected, but some, while doing that, usurp as much power to control with as they

can. It makes all of us "feel" safer they say.

I just got off the phone with Bob Norris, city editor of the Maryville Daily Times.  I told him that a lot of the mayors were bailing out of Bloomberg's MAIG.   He asked me to cite a news source about the exodus and I pointed him to FoxNews, which currently has the story in the No. 1 position of their website.  I asked if Mayor Taylor is thinking about changing his position.    "That is a good question," Norris told me.  "Thanks for calling it in."  Perhaps we'll see some ink on it in a day or two.

Edited by gun sane
  • Like 1

That's good to hear.

Near as I can tell, maybe some of you Murrville fellers can correct me, but the "mayor" is actually elected by city council.  Is that right? 

While I'm not in the city, this would indicate yes, the mayor is appointed by the city council....

Tom Taylor was first elected to City Council in June, 2001, served as Vice Mayor from 2003-2008, and was elected by vote of council to the position of Mayor in 2012.  His term ends in November 2014.

http://www.maryvillegov.com/city-council-members.html

• Like 1

I just got off the phone with Bob Norris, city editor of the Maryville Daily Times. I told him that a lot of the mayors were bailing out of Bloomberg's MAIG. He asked me to cite a news source about the exodus and I pointed him to FoxNews, which currently has the story in the No. 1 position of their website. I asked if Mayor Taylor is thinking about changing his position. "That is a good question," Norris told me. "Thanks for calling it in." Perhaps we'll see some ink on it in a day or two.

That's good to hear.

Near as I can tell, maybe some of you Murrville fellers can correct me, but the "mayor" is actually elected by city council.  Is that right?

While I'm not in the city, this would indicate yes, the mayor is appointed by the city council....

It’s a City Council/ Manger form of government and the City Manager is Greg McClain. So it sounds to me like the Mayor is just a figurehead without much power. Edited by DaveTN