Ruger MK III Opinions?

Well talked to the local dealer, said if he could order one it would be $786 for the Hunter. Seems a bit high when Ruger's msrp is around $670.

That is way too high. The Hunter is very desirable, so some dealers may not go much below msrp, but to be more than $100 over msrp is ridiculous. I passed on a used one recently at my LGS that was priced somewhere between $450 and $500 if I remember correctly. It was in excellent condition, and it has since sold, but it was available for several weeks as I recall. I probably should have bought it.

That is way too high. The Hunter is very desirable, so some dealers may not go much below msrp, but to be more than $100 over msrp is ridiculous. I passed on a used one recently at my LGS that was priced somewhere between $450 and $500 if I remember correctly. It was in excellent condition, and it has since sold, but it was available for several weeks as I recall. I probably should have bought it.

You should have.

I have both a MKIII Hunter and Model 41.  I did a review on it somewhere around here.  I pretty much agree with everything graycrait has stated.  I replaced all my internals with VQ parts and changed out the grips, which I also feel is a must.  The modified trigger still isn't as nice as the 41, but it is pretty darn good.  It is good enough to be incredibly accurate with it.  I would also add that the MKIII is less ammo finicky when compared to the Model 41.

As far as field stripping goes, yes it is a PITA the first couple of times.  Once you have done it a few times, it is incredibly easy and requires no hammer or any other tool to disassemble.

Guest The Highlander

I've got a MK II Govt.Target with lord knows how many hundred thousand rounds through it.  I clean it every ten years, if I remember too.  This isn't a defense weapon, so I leave it alone until it starts to misfire.  This is usually around 15k rounds.  I clean thoroughly at that time, replace the recoil spring, and shoot the snot out of it.

Also had a Mk I that I just sold for a profit.

And a Mk III Distributor Special from Lipsey's that is just gorgeous.  Haven't shot it enough yet to really compare, but I can say I dislike the express style sights on mine.  They will be coming off for something more suitable for 50 year old eyes.  It seems to be just as accurate and reliable as the old Mk II.

Been thinking about a 22/45 Lite with threaded barrel, or maybe an SR22 with threads.  Just not sure which I will get next.

I will never sell that original Mk II Target though.  If it dies today, it has earned a place of respect in my gun safe.  Actually, it is the only handgun not in a pistol rack.  It has its own shelf, nothing else ever goes on that shelf.  Yep, I think that much of it!

I know I'm a little late on this thread, but I had to give a +1 for these pistols. I have a Mk1 that was my great grandad's. I love to shoot it, and as mentioned before, it'll feed almost anything. Definitely a bear to disassemble though.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

I've ripped the mag disconnects out of a dozens of MKIIIs and replaced them with standard MKII bushings or this guys machined product. I took the LCI out of several also. I used this guy's product to fill the gap where the LCI went in mine. I just don't like all the gunk that accumulates around the LCI. If you replace replace the sear and trigger with VQ parts you will drop your trigger pull to a clean 2.75lbs.

This part more accurately replaces the space of the mag disconnect in MKIIIs
http://www.tandemkro...ushing_p_9.html

LCI replacement
http://www.tandemkro...nsert_p_16.html

http://www.tandemkro...Combo_p_34.html

I ordered the tandemkross mag disconnect and lci combo. They shipped fast and I'm impressed mags now shoot out. And the LCI looks very clean. Thanks for the recommendation gray

Its the best inexpensive .22 target pistol, period.  The next best guns are $1000 and up in price, the true competition target pistols.  Close behind the ruger is the browning buckmark & the very inexpensive S&W 22a family.  All three are great but the ruger is the most rugged.

I have a mark 2 that I got used with a red dot on it.  I have put many, many thousands of rounds thru it and it still makes a tight group.

The new ones (mark 3 and later) have a worse trigger due to extra safety features; this can be fixed with aftermarket gear.  With an aftermarket trigger kit you can make it super nice, not quite touch-bang but very close.  I highly advise getting one of these after a few months if you decide to keep it and shoot it a lot.   There are tons of other after-market gear for them, grips and barrels and more.   But anything more than grips and a trigger kit and you start to spend too much -- when you start putting fancy barrels in, you could have just bought a real target gun for the total investment at that point....

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for one of these in the MKlll Hunter model, all steel. Does anyone have one they would like to sell, or trade for on a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt? I'm on a tight budget, but am looking for a nice one in stainless, with the fluted barrel. I've been researching these, and have read every forum and tidbit of information I cam find. I'm in Murfreesboro, but didn't get to go to the gun show. Were there any available there? Probably over priced, huh? I'd like to get to know one of these better by making it a member of my family.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

I've ripped the mag disconnects out of a dozens of MKIIIs and replaced them with standard MKII bushings or this guys machined product.  I took the LCI out of several also.  I used this guy's product to fill the gap where the LCI went in mine.  I just don't like all the gunk that accumulates around the LCI.  If you replace replace the sear and trigger with VQ parts you will drop your trigger pull to a clean 2.75lbs.

This part more accurately replaces the space of the mag disconnect in MKIIIs 

http://www.tandemkro...ushing_p_9.html

LCI replacement

http://www.tandemkro...nsert_p_16.html

http://www.tandemkro...Combo_p_34.html

These are nice replacement parts also:

Volquartsen triggers (adjusts for over and pretravel)

http://www.rimfiresp...tegory_Code=VC2

MKII bushing to be used in place of the MKIII mag disconnect apparatus: 

Volquartsen sear will do amazing things for your trigger pull

GrayCrait, I don't own a Ruger MKlll, but am looking for a Hunter. What is the problem with the mag disconnect and loaded chamber indicator? Do they cause some operational problem with the function or accuracy of the MKlll? Please understand... I'm not challenging, just asking. I'm a newbie, and trying to learn as much as I can about the Ruger MKlll Hunter... including a reasonable price. Thanks for your help.

Some people say that the mag disconnect contributes to a gritty trigger. This is probably true though in my case its not to bad. The LCI or loaded chamber indicator is just ugly, I don't think I've read anything that would indicate that they cause any real issues at all. Just don't flow well with the lines of the design.

Oh the mag disconnect also makes it so you have an extra step in the take down and reassembly, also hear reports that it slows the trajectory of magazines being ejected.

I'll most likely ditch the disconnect but the LCI is there to stay. It doesn't bother me at all.

I own the Hunter model.  Absolute joy to take out to the woods and just plink away with it!  I agree with Garufa, though.  The Ruger MK III Hunter is a major PITA to disassemble and reassemble. 

Mootw, if it gets to be too much of a PITA, I'll be glad to take it off your hands...at the right price of course! Thought I had a stainless Hunter today. Called the guy back just before heading to the ATM and asked him to confirm the frame was stainless. He pulled it out of the safe and said it says Hunter right on the barrel... gut the grip is black. I said I'll bet it is a 22/45...what does the box say. Sure nuff, it was a 22/45!

• Like 1

I sent my Mark III Hunter to Iowa and had Volquartsen tweek it. It came back a Mark II. No loaded chamber indicator, No magazine safety, It now has a Volquartsen fancy grip and a trigger that is ...outstanding! Less than 3lbs.  I can dissassemble it and reassemble it blindfolded now. I also have way more money in this pistol than I will ever get back out of it but that's OK.This pistol is a keeper.  I have a red dot scope on it too.

If you live in Clarksville or nearby and want me to do do the MKIII to MKII conversion with VQ parts and others, including dumping the mag disconnect and the LCI.  Set up a time and bring the gun and parts over.  I'll do it for you for free.  If I have been drinking a lot of coffee and am jittery it may take 30 minutes.  However, I think you should do it yourself.  This is an armorer's task, not a gunsmiths. So you can do it with simple tools on the kitchen table, cause that is where I would do it - better light and no "60's era green shag carpet" to lose parts in.  If you don't like dogs, cats, and a cranky old Glock guy don't come.

GrayCrait, I don't own a Ruger MKlll, but am looking for a Hunter. What is the problem with the mag disconnect and loaded chamber indicator? Do they cause some operational problem with the function or accuracy of the MKlll? Please understand... I'm not challenging, just asking. I'm a newbie, and trying to learn as much as I can about the Ruger MKlll Hunter... including a reasonable price. Thanks for your help.

Sidewinder, the short answer is "no". The loaded chamber indicator and the magazine safety, as far as I know, do not effect the pistol's operation.  I have heard that the LCI can cause the pistol to jam, but I have not found this to be true. Ruger will tell you that they don't hamper the action. I removed my LCI anyway and the magazine safety. I still have all the parts and can return the pistol to factory specs if I need to.

One thing about the Mark III Hunter is that it's barrel heavy.  It doesn't bother me but I have shot a competition Browning 22LR and the Browning was light as a feather.

Edited by Will Carry

Will Carry is correct, the LCI and Mag Disconnect will not hamper the action.  However, just removing the mag disconnect will lighten the trigger considerably, I seem to remember about one pound, maybe a bit more.  Of course you have to replace the mag disconnect with either a MKII or one of the specialty bushings made specifically to replace the mag disconnect.  I think the MK II bushing works just fine for this.  Not only does the mag disconnect raise the trigger pull but it is sort of PITA when you are disassembling/reassembling the gun.