First AR-15 M4

Guest tnelson

Guest tnelson

Hi guys,

I FINALLY FINALLY got my first AR-15 M4 Carbine. I ended up getting the Bushmaster model from GunCity here in Nashville. Very exciting rifle to shoot. Luckily I got to shoot it the first day of owning it at ON Target gun range in Murfressboro, TN. I live in Murfressboro.

Any accessories you guys can recommend for a "first timer" ? I thought about getting an Ecotech site but I believe the flip-up will be good enough for me.

Are the 40 MM Grenade Launchers legal? I was told that a good rule of thumb is.."if you can't find it in the gun ship then it probrably isn't"

Far as TN Gun Laws. I should be ok with it in my trunk in the case unloaded with Magazines in the glove box correct?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on your purchase.

Make sure you post pictures!

Your best bet is to go with a 37mm launcher. They are legal to own without any special taxes or documentation, and are affordable (225-325 range) fun.

We have one in stock for you to play with if you make it down to Winchester.

Shoot at least 500+ rounds using irons till you are comfortable with them, then look at getting optics, unless of course, you can hit a side of a barn, then I would invest in optics..

And don't get caught up in the BRD, well not right away, at least.

Guest tnelson
Hi guys,

I FINALLY FINALLY got my first AR-15 M4 Carbine. I ended up getting the Bushmaster model from GunCity here in Nashville. Very exciting rifle to shoot. Luckily I got to shoot it the first day of owning it at ON Target gun range in Murfressboro, TN. I live in Murfressboro.

Any accessories you guys can recommend for a "first timer" ? I thought about getting an Ecotech site but I believe the flip-up will be good enough for me.

Are the 40 MM Grenade Launchers legal? I was told that a good rule of thumb is.."if you can't find it in the gun ship then it probrably isn't"

Far as TN Gun Laws. I should be ok with it in my trunk in the case unloaded with Magazines in the glove box correct?

sorry for not posting pics guys..

here..

HPIM0089.JPG

HPIM0084.JPG

Guest bkelm18

Dang, you look prepared to take on the Russkies. Nice Bushie. I used to have one. Very reliable and fun to shoot. What kind of 1911 is that?

Hey man, congrats on the new AR. Once you get your first one its like a sickness, you have to have another and another and another... you get the point, lol. You can get the 40mm, but like others have said the 37mm is a lot less pricey. A 40mm will run you between $3000-$4000, and it is class 3 (little more paper work). Enjoy the new gun! Thanks,

-Jason G

Congrats on your purchase.

Make sure you post pictures!

Your best bet is to go with a 37mm launcher. They are legal to own without any special taxes or documentation, and are affordable (225-325 range) fun.

We have one in stock for you to play with if you make it down to Winchester.

Stupid question, but what do they launch? Flares?

I just got my first about a month ago.

If you're wanting to dress up your AR, you might try Cheaper Than Dirt.

They carry reasonably priced mags and furniture for ARs.

www.cheaperthandirt.com

There's also the Sportsman's Guide.

www.sportsmansguide.com

There are other places out ther to get the name brand and premo stuff.

But it's all comes down to money and taste, I guess.

These 2 places are where I'm starting, anyway.:)

Guest tnelson

I am not really a AK-47 guy. It's fun to shoot on Call of Duty 4 but I've never had a desire to have one LOL.

Next I am getting a top folding stock for the moss and a sling.

I actually made a ghetto silencer for the m4 last night using a Gatorade bottle and the Sunday paper, and zip ties LOL That was sweet :)

Question; in TN is it legal to have my ar-15 in the trunk ( like it is now LOL ) unloaded with mags in the glove box?

Guest Revelator

This is going to be covered in Tenn. Code Sec. 39-17-1308. It is a defense to prosecution for unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon if it's "an unloaded rifle...not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon."

Are you just riding around everyday like this? If so be careful. A few rounds of hot 223 lead is a great cure for somebody else's road rage but if you've got the ammo right there in the glove box that would be "in the immediate vicinity." However, if you have it in the car "incident to lawful hunting, trapping, fishing, camping, sport shooting or other lawful activity" you are ok. I suggest reading this and the other TN firearm laws starting at 39-17-1301 and on down: http://www.michie.com/tennessee/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=tncode

Great action photos, man. Most folks just take pics of their rig on the living room carpet, or the workbench in the garage.

I actually made a ghetto silencer for the m4 last night using a Gatorade bottle and the Sunday paper, and zip ties LOL That was sweet :)

I'm pretty sure that's not legal! But i HEAR it's fun;)!

Not an AK guy, eh? Come to the range Saturday. We'll see what we can do about that...

Guest tnelson

So what places in the vehicle would NOT be considered "immediate vicinity of the person or weapon" The half way point? Out of arms reach? Say if my rifle is in the cargo area of my Tahoe, and my mags are in a briefcase in the back seat?

Safe answer to me seems to be...just don't do it lol

" Are you just riding around everyday like this?" Yah :)

"'m pretty sure that's not legal! But i HEAR it's fun;)!" i was just screwing around in the backyard. I threw it away when I got done.

Upon further investigation I have been told by a LEO that the mags CANNOT be loaded. Loaded mags are considered a loaded gun, at least that's what he said. He's married to my ex-wife, so take it for whatever it's worth.

Guest Revelator

TCA 39-17-1301 definitions: “Immediate vicinity” refers to the area within the person's immediate control within which the person has ready access to the ammunition.

That's pretty much in the car, yeah. Whether it's locked up might not make a difference.

I think the first question you have to ask is, "Why is the gun in the car?" If you're going to the range or the game reserve you're fine. I wouldn't keep my long gun loaded en route, but I think you'd be ok if you did. In the extremely unlikely event a police officer discovered your loaded long gun while you were on the way to the range, the worst thing that would happen is they might tell you to please unload it. But if it's 9 am on a Tuesday and you're in rush hour traffic driving through midtown you might have some explaining to do with your AR or AK in the back. They might have a hard time believing you were going "hunting." They might think you were on the way to work, or running errands, neither of which have anything to do with lawful shooting activities. The only way you're going to be totally safe in this situation is if there is no ammo pretty much anywhere in the car.

Of course it would take a lot for the police to even get to this point. Car searches? Just say no.

Look, some folks have trunk monkeys in the event there's an emergency when they're out and about. Some folks carry in places that serve alcohol. These are dumb laws, everyone knows they're dumb laws, and we all have to make our own choice to follow them or not. Trunk monkeys? I don't give a damn that it's illegal. I don't have one simply because I don't want to leave a gun in my car and risk it getting stolen. That's it. The law's got nothing to do with it.

Edited by P. Stegall