Need new pistol suggestions.

Mykltn

500 wont even get you a new glock anymore

It will get you close. I think my last one was $550 out the door. Strangely it won't you a used one, they seem to be selling for $100 more than new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It will get you close. I think my last one was $550 out the door. Strangely it won't you a used one, they seem to be selling for $100 more than new.

I know its close but $500 doesnt buy you as much gun as it used to. You can get some good deals on quality used guns and I know a budget is a budget, but alot of quality guns are available just outside of this price range
If you're looking for something different and somewhat unique, try a Smith & Wesson 457. It's been discontinued for a few years, but shouldn't be too hard to find a used one hanging around somewhere. This is one of Smith's most underated pistols. Fits all of your criteria; all metal (as long as you count the aluminum frame), DA/SA, carries easily (not too heavy and thin), and about $500 if you can find one. 7 round single stack .45acp. Probably very comparable in size and weight to your Colt.

This review is a few years old, but rates it against a couple of current popular carry guns: http://www.kahr.com/Reviews2007/gun-tests.asp

If you're looking for something different and somewhat unique, try a Smith & Wesson 457. It's been discontinued for a few years, but shouldn't be too hard to find a used one hanging around somewhere. This is one of Smith's most underated pistols. Fits all of your criteria; all metal (as long as you count the aluminum frame), DA/SA, carries easily (not too heavy and thin), and about $500 if you can find one. 7 round single stack .45acp. Probably very comparable in size and weight to your Colt.
This review is a few years old, but rates it against a couple of current popular carry guns: http://www.kahr.com/Reviews2007/gun-tests.asp

I like the way you think.

I would say a sig 938 as well.   Its  metal framed if you consider alum metal?  Its 1911ish in a 9mm pocket gun, seems like exactly what that collection needs.

if used, older guns interest you

A makarov also would be in order if you don't mind the oddball caliber.  All metal, thin and small (big for a pocket, but I carried one in a pocket for over a decade).   One of the best designs of all time, accurate, reliable, durable, easy to work on. 

A baby browning 25 is the king of 25s, again good metal construction, browning quality, SAO in a mousegun.  A little pricy for LNIB but you can find a oft-carried but seldom shot one for not too much, with some wear on the finish etc.

I would also say a ruger mark pistol to have a target gun, which your collection seems to lack, might be something to do.

I would also say a ruger mark pistol to have a target gun, which your collection seems to lack, might be something to do.

I have a Browning buckmark but didn't list it as it's not a carry gun. I do like your suggestion of the baby browning though.
A makarov also would be in order if you don't mind the oddball caliber.  All metal, thin and small (big for a pocket, but I carried one in a pocket for over a decade).   One of the best designs of all time, accurate, reliable, durable, easy to work on.

Not a true 'Makarov' but along those lines the first thing that came to my mind when reading your 'specs' for a new gun was a CZ-82.  As you list a .380 as one of your carry guns, I assume you would be okay with the 9mm Makarov ballistics.  They aren't as inexpensive as they once were but you could still probably pick up a pair of them for your $500 budget - maybe with enough left for a box or two of ammo.  Only problem is, 9mm Makarov ammo (like most ammo) is a bit difficult to find, right now.

I don't think I could pocket carry my 82 but in a home-made, leather belt slide holster it carries easily OWB with a cover garment.  With 12+1 capacity and a spare mag, it is my usual 'step up' from my S&W 642 when I want something with a higher ammo capacity.

Edited by JAB

A makarov also would be in order if you don't mind the oddball caliber. All metal, thin and small (big for a pocket, but I carried one in a pocket for over a decade). One of the best designs of all time, accurate, reliable, durable, easy to work on.

Not a true 'Makarov' but along those lines the first thing that came to my mind when reading your 'specs' for a new gun was a CZ-82. As you list a .380 as one of your carry guns, I assume you would be okay with the 9mm Makarov ballistics. They aren't as inexpensive as they once were but you could still probably pick up a pair of them for your $500 budget - maybe with enough left for a box or two of ammo. Only problem is, 9mm Makarov ammo (like most ammo) is a bit difficult to find, right now.

I don't think I could pocket carry my 82 but in a home-made, leather belt slide holster it carries easily OWB with a cover garment. With 12+1 capacity and a spare mag, it is my usual 'step up' from my S&W 642 when I want something with a higher ammo capacity.

They have a fairly nice trigger too. Makes for a good excuse to get a C&R license.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

seeing the cz82/83 and 75s mentioned, that begs a look at the rami.  Its 9mm or 40, about the same size as the 82, the in-between model.  I like mine a lot, its just over too large for a pocket.  There is a steel version I think, or once was.   And the option to cock&lock with a trigger job can make it SA like (though trigger remains sloppy) or you can treat it as a DA/SA. 

There are a lot of excellent recommendations here, i.e., CZ’s. If you weren’t going for all metal and SA or DA/SA, I’d say Glock 23 Gen 3 since your list doesn't include a .40 and it doesn’t look like you worry much about consolidating calibers.

Unfortunately, all metal auto-loaders (at least ones that can be comfortably carried concealed on a daily basis) are going the way of the Dodo bird unless you are willing to shell out more than you want to on price. (Sig P938 is a fine pistol but expensive). The out of production S & W 3913 fits the description you posted in all respects, including price, if you can find one.

My Aunt has the “Ladysmith” version of it and she's had it forever. It’s basically a scaled down single stack identical in operation to the S & W 5906 & 6906 line of pistols that is 8 + 1. Size is slightly larger but comparable to the highly praised Shield. May be worth look for one.      

How about a Tangfoglio? They have some interesting models that would fit the budget. One the the guys at my LGS is always raving about them. Seem to be decently built.