can you trust your gun after a "lock up"

Guest Tyson1

Guest Tyson1

I was out shooting this weekend, and after about 30 rounds, my slide locked up. It took in a bullet, and then I pulled the trigger....nothing. So I took out the mag, went to pull the slide to eject the bullet, and the slide wouldn't budge. I finally the slide back and got the bullet ejected, moved the slide back and fourth a few times, to make sure it would move. Loaded the mag back in, cocked the slide to accept the bullet. Squeezed the trigger....nothing, but this time the slide would move. So I disassembled the gun, then put back together. Loaded the mag, slide the slide back, squeezed trigger...boom...it was working again. I put another 100 through, and seemed to be fine.

Now my question is; has this happened to anyone? and if it were to happen to you, would you be able to trust the gun?

btw the gun is a kahr cw40, and the bullets I was shooting are Remington UMC .40

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a couple improperly sized cartridges were preventing full return-to-battery (which would disable trigger), and because the cartridges were oversized, the slide may have been more difficult to operate. I had this happen with a 1911 once, shooting cheap ammo in a tight chamber.

One solution is to polish the chamber... but the best option is to find the brand of ammo your gun prefers. Doesn't sound like a magazine issue at all.

I've got a buddy with a 9mm that did this. The problem is, it won't budge at all. The slide is still stuck with a casing in the chamber. How'd you get the slide back??? And after examining the leftover ammo, we found a round with a bent, kinda bulging case, so I'd guess it was the ammo that caused it, but who's to say it didn't damage something internally without being able to take it apart and have a gunsmith check it out. Due to that I wouldn't trust my buddy's gun, period. For yours I'd find ammo that ran for several hundred more shots problem free before I'd be comfortable carrying it.

I've got a buddy with a 9mm that did this. The problem is, it won't budge at all. The slide is still stuck with a casing in the chamber. How'd you get the slide back??? And after examining the leftover ammo, we found a round with a bent, kinda bulging case, so I'd guess it was the ammo that caused it, but who's to say it didn't damage something internally without being able to take it apart and have a gunsmith check it out. Due to that I wouldn't trust my buddy's gun, period. For yours I'd find ammo that ran for several hundred more shots problem free before I'd be comfortable carrying it.

Is the round still live?

If not then place it in a vise (with padded jaws) and use a nylon/brass hammer or the handle of a screwdriver. Smack the front of the slide and *presto*.

If the round is live take it to a gunsmith. But tell them it's live before you take it in the building.

I was out shooting this weekend, and after about 30 rounds, my slide locked up. It took in a bullet, and then I pulled the trigger....nothing. So I took out the mag, went to pull the slide to eject the bullet, and the slide wouldn't budge. I finally the slide back and got the bullet ejected, moved the slide back and fourth a few times, to make sure it would move. Loaded the mag back in, cocked the slide to accept the bullet. Squeezed the trigger....nothing, but this time the slide would move. So I disassembled the gun, then put back together. Loaded the mag, slide the slide back, squeezed trigger...boom...it was working again. I put another 100 through, and seemed to be fine.

Now my question is; has this happened to anyone? and if it were to happen to you, would you be able to trust the gun?

btw the gun is a kahr cw40, and the bullets I was shooting are Remington UMC .40

I had the same type problem wit UMC ammo before. I think it's more a hard primer issue not a problem with your gun.I was shooting some 9mm UMC and 1 round would not fire, being in a DA I pulled the trigger again, nothing, put it in another gun (harder hitting gun) and it cooked off the first time.:)

Having a gun fail can mess with your head. I had the thumb safety on my 1911 fail. S&W paid all shipping costs and fixed it promptly. They didn’t tell me what happened or what they did to fix it; they just sent it back fixed.

I probably should have pursued it by calling them to find out what happened; but I didn’t.

I really like the gun, but because of that I won’t carry it. It’s probably fine and just in my head, but even at the range I handle it like it doesn’t have a thumb safety.

Yes, it would bother me as well. Years ago I had several dreams (nightmares :) ) where I pulled my pistol on an intruder and fired but nothing happened. Both times I was so terrified I woke up. If I were you, I'd run a bunch (500 or so) more rounds through it without any problems before I'd trust it. I try to fire the first several rounds in my carry gun (USP 40 Compact) every couple of trips to the range just for confidence.

Is the round still live?

If not then place it in a vise (with padded jaws) and use a nylon/brass hammer or the handle of a screwdriver. Smack the front of the slide and *presto*.

If the round is live take it to a gunsmith. But tell them it's live before you take it in the building.

The round was fired, it 'blew up' according to my friend. He said something flew out of the gun, but he wasn't so sure, and I saw nothing on the outside of the gun when checking it over. So it's just a casing left in the gun, but I Don't know if something is wrong internally. Now that I have an idea to get the slide back, I'll try and sort it out. Thanks.

Guest bkelm18
Yes, it would bother me as well. Years ago I had several dreams (nightmares :D ) where I pulled my pistol on an intruder and fired but nothing happened. Both times I was so terrified I woke up. If I were you, I'd run a bunch (500 or so) more rounds through it without any problems before I'd trust it. I try to fire the first several rounds in my carry gun (USP 40 Compact) every couple of trips to the range just for confidence.

I've had similar dreams. I try to fire my gun but the trigger has like a 500lb trigger pull and I can't quite get it to fire.

Years ago I had several dreams (nightmares :D ) where I pulled my pistol on an intruder and fired but nothing happened. Both times I was so terrified I woke up.

That’s a common nightmare for cops. The shrinks say when you have those take your weapon to the range and crank off a bunch of rounds.

(I don’t think they mean right then, but …you get the idea :D)

Yes, it would worry me. I would never fully trust it.

I carry a revolver though, so if a semi-auto I own has a problem, I won't be as worried.

Same here. I have several Semi Autos and enjoy them, but I carry S&W revolvers. I have had several scary experiences with bottom feeders at the range, all ammo problems, and it has turned me against carrying any for SD. Most of those BFs were 1911s or 1911 clones by the way. I carried 1911s for the better part of 30 years in USMC and had some bad experiences there too. I'm not dissing 1911s in particular, I think all semiautos are prone to possible ammo problems. I just trust a good wheelgun more!.

Guest mikedwood

The first thing I would do was try a different brand of ammo in it. If it ate up 300 or so rounds of that without issuse I'd try atleast a mag or 2 of what I carry through it.

Then I think I would feel Ok about it.

I join, 2nd and +1 those that usually carry a revolver. :D

Yes, it would bother me as well. Years ago I had several dreams (nightmares :eek: ) where I pulled my pistol on an intruder and fired but nothing happened. Both times I was so terrified I woke up. If I were you, I'd run a bunch (500 or so) more rounds through it without any problems before I'd trust it. I try to fire the first several rounds in my carry gun (USP 40 Compact) every couple of trips to the range just for confidence.

I've never had the nightmares thank god. But I do fire a few rounds through my ole faithful Kimber CDP which is my carry, everytime I go to the range. Just to make sure ole faithful will be faithful.;)

Same here. I have several Semi Autos and enjoy them, but I carry S&W revolvers. I have had several scary experiences with bottom feeders at the range, all ammo problems, and it has turned me against carrying any for SD. Most of those BFs were 1911s or 1911 clones by the way. I carried 1911s for the better part of 30 years in USMC and had some bad experiences there too. I'm not dissing 1911s in particular, I think all semiautos are prone to possible ammo problems. I just trust a good wheelgun more!.

Then just wait till you have a wheel gun lock up, then your mind will really be messed up, You won't have anywhere to turn. :death:

Then just wait till you have a wheel gun lock up, then your mind will really be messed up, You won't have anywhere to turn. :death:

This very day, I had an expended round that somehow got under the extractor star when I dumped the others. Ruger SP101, .357 Blazer alloy case stuff. Not really a "lock up" but certainly at least an extra 20 sec extra before could reload. Probably longer if I were running under fire or some such.

Just shows to go ya, eh?

- OS