NFA Trusts Under Fire

Gawd knows what this will turn into exactly:

"The Obama administration is working to close a loophole in the nation’s gun laws that allows for some machine guns and sawed-off shotguns to be sold without the buyer submitting fingerprints or photographs."

I'm sure SBR and suppressors will "fit in" too.

http://thehill.com/blogs/regwatch/pending-regs/318133-white-house-reviewing-draft-gun-control-rule

- OS

When was the last time a legal NFA machine gun, supressor, SBR, or SBS was used in a crime.

It's such a waste o time and money, all in the name of media hype. Obummer needs all the liberal hype he can muster.

Umm, like every time I watch a movie the criminals always have fully automatic guns and silencers. Clearly they're a preferred tool of gangsters and need to be thrown into the fires or Mordor.
  • Like 2

This has been in the works for over a year now... ATF been trying to close the loophole for some time... as a carrot, they've promised us no CLEO anymore... personally, I think the prints and photos are ok ... The trusts will still be a vehicle for ownership and still have their benefits.  I honestly have always felt it's always been the CLEO most people had the hardest heartburn with.  Dan Shea (long time NFA'er - owner of Long Mountain Outfitters and others sat down with the ATF years ago trying to get this CLEO requirement to go away).

Removing the CLEO clause regardless will cause another surge of forms coming in so until the new help gets in and up to speed it's sadly going to stay a painfully slow process.  But if this allows more NFA ownership we in general should embrace it as a move in the right directon. 

There's also a movement right now trying to get suppressor OFF the NFA list and allow a simple 4473 to process the approval.  Now how excellent would THAT be ;o)

We'll see... 

FYI, from thebangswitch.com ...

UPDATE:

I’ve spoken with David Goldman, who is a respected NFA lawyer, and he makes a number of good points regarding this information being passed by The Hill blog. This change has been bantered about for years and the only time we know it was formally proposed was in 2012. The proposed regulation change expired in 2012 and never took effect. The link provided by The Hill blog is to the 2012 proposed regulation change, which makes their report suspect. Also, the ATF has recently made changes and has started accepting digital applications for transfers between dealers and Trusts. If this proposed regulation change were to take effect, it would hamper the new system they’ve recently rolled out.

The ATF has been unavailable for comment.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

This has been in the works for over a year now... ATF been trying to close the loophole for some time... as a carrot, they've promised us no CLEO anymore... personally, I think the prints and photos are ok ... The trusts will still be a vehicle for ownership and still have their benefits.  I honestly have always felt it's always been the CLEO most people had the hardest heartburn with.  Dan Shea (long time NFA'er - owner of Long Mountain Outfitters and others sat down with the ATF years ago trying to get this CLEO requirement to go away).

Removing the CLEO clause regardless will cause another surge of forms coming in so until the new help gets in and up to speed it's sadly going to stay a painfully slow process.  But if this allows more NFA ownership we in general should embrace it as a move in the right directon. 

There's also a movement right now trying to get suppressor OFF the NFA list and allow a simple 4473 to process the approval.  Now how excellent would THAT be ;o)

We'll see... 

In the big scheme of things, it might be a big improvement in one area, but the infringement still exists. Working within

a corrupt system to take crumbs, while another attempt to restrict some other firearm is in the works, doesn't really

accomplish, but it may be the only course for the moment.

There never has been any evidence, other than a few criminals, close to a hundred years ago, that caused this totally

ridiculous set of laws to exist. It's either a direct mistrust of the American public to own such firepower, without registration,

or a continuation of the overall desire to make all firearms extinct, except in the hands of the government. I lean to the latter

side of the argument, since, the ownership of a full auto weapon hasn't been shown to be the big killer, except in the hands

of the government.

I'm not sure, but for the sake of argument about NFA trusts, wouldn't it be just about the only way a security company

can own something like this, anyway? Since a company has things like corporations, LLCs, s chapters, how else can

they procure? Some criminals are smart, but there are easier ways, even with total gun ban countries, to procure their

firearms.

Just another sneaky way to get to their goal. Government, that is.

The latest from the Vice President is:

Trusts are exempt from background checks so we need to close this loophole to keep this dangerous weapons from getting into the hands of criminals through the trust system.

Everyone knows that criminals and friends of criminals create these trusts so they can legally purchase this class of weapons.