Ontario OKC3S Bayonet

Again, stock photo until it shows up on Tuesday. This one is interesting. Current issue for the Marines. It shares a lot of the characteristics of the famous KaBar USMC, but with an 8" blade. The top side of the blade can be sharpened, just like the Ka-Bar. Not sure I'll do it yet.

OKC3S_zpsa2cac290.jpg

That's a big ole hunk of S30V. They're real proud of it. May be a little too good for stickin' zombies :)

I would have loved to have that thing when I was in. I might have to setup an AR with a bayo, so I can brush up on those bayonet techniques

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

I would have loved to have that thing when I was in. I might have to setup an AR with a bayo, so I can brush up on those bayonet techniques

Something to think about... You can snap the tang on an M9 or OKC3S if you put a lot of bending force on them. That may be by design. With the ZT9's true full tang, you may be able to break the gun.

Something to think about... You can snap the tang on an M9 or OKC3S if you put a lot of bending force on them. That may be by design. With the ZT9's true full tang, you may be able to break the gun.

We put some major hurt on the issued bayonets during MCMAP. The targets are "tire men" as in made from car tires. We would thrust, slash and cut with everything we had, with the leverage of a 20" barreled rifle, and I never saw one break, but you can break any knife (bayonet). I wish they would issue the bayonet and the Kabar. I like them both, but would prefer to have a dedicated knife and a dedicated bayonet, but I understand why they did it. Does anyone other than the Marines still issue and teach bayonet techniques?

We put some major hurt on the issued bayonets during MCMAP. The targets are "tire men" as in made from car tires. We would thrust, slash and cut with everything we had, with the leverage of a 20" barreled rifle, and I never saw one break, but you can break any knife (bayonet). I wish they would issue the bayonet and the Kabar. I like them both, but would prefer to have a dedicated knife and a dedicated bayonet, but I understand why they did it. Does anyone other than the Marines still issue and teach bayonet techniques?

The marine bayonet (the one in this thread) is a full tang knife, it's just a skinny tang. The M9 isn't. I know those break easier. I don't think anybody except the Marines are doing bayonet training right now, at least that's what I've read. The OKC3S is a lot like the Ka-Bar in blade design, and the same steel. It's just bigger. I'll have to get one of the Ka-Bars too. It's one of the classic gotta-have knives.

The marine bayonet (the one in this thread) is a full tang knife, it's just a skinny tang. The M9 isn't. I know those break easier. I don't think anybody except the Marines are doing bayonet training right now, at least that's what I've read. The OKC3S is a lot like the Ka-Bar in blade design, and the same steel. It's just bigger. I'll have to get one of the Ka-Bars too. It's one of the classic gotta-have knives.

Awww. See to me a full tang means the tang is as wide as the handle, and normally visible. A skinny tang is a hidden tang, and isn't as strong normally. And then there is partial tang, which doesn't run the full length of the handle and is glued or pinned in and sucks lol. I didnt realize the M9 was different, all Ive seen and used is the OKC we got issued, like the one you ordered, and just assumed the M9 was the Army designation for the same thing. My mistake. The Kabar is a good knife, and an icon. Hell I make customs and I still own a Kabar lol. To me a bayonet and a fighting/utility knife do 2 different things, and I'll take the extra weight of carrying both to have two better tools. If you ever wanna learn the basics on bayonets give me a holler. I was big into Mcmap, and have a heavy martial arts background. Id be happy to drag out my old book and go over Marine Corps bayonet techniques with ya. :D Of course if you already know them, don't take that as an insult, just an offer if you don't.

Awww. See to me a full tang means the tang is as wide as the handle, and normally visible. A skinny tang is a hidden tang, and isn't as strong normally. And then there is partial tang, which doesn't run the full length of the handle and is glued or pinned in and sucks lol. I didnt realize the M9 was different, all Ive seen and used is the OKC we got issued, like the one you ordered, and just assumed the M9 was the Army designation for the same thing. My mistake. The Kabar is a good knife, and an icon. Hell I make customs and I still own a Kabar lol. To me a bayonet and a fighting/utility knife do 2 different things, and I'll take the extra weight of carrying both to have two better tools. If you ever wanna learn the basics on bayonets give me a holler. I was big into Mcmap, and have a heavy martial arts background. Id be happy to drag out my old book and go over Marine Corps bayonet techniques with ya. :D Of course if you already know them, don't take that as an insult, just an offer if you don't.

I may take you up on that. If I do, I'll bring the M9 too. The gun won't be done for a couple more weeks. The M9 isn't a total turd. It's a beefy knife. The blade stock is right at 1/4" thick. It's stainless too.

Full tang - full width runs full length of handle

Tapered tang - narrows (width wise) over duration of handle

Hidden tang - smaller than blade stock and hidden under or behind handles

Partial tang - doesn't run full length of handle

Technically, a tapered tang is still a full tang. 

Oh yeah.... time to do some hooking and a jabbing.

I know you're not suppose to, but I may just put a real wicked edge on this thing. 1095 should do real well. It's really a sweet knife, that just happens to snap onto a rifle.

[quote name="mikegideon" post="1023031" timestamp="1377732680"] I know you're not suppose to, but I may just put a real wicked edge on this thing. 1095 should do real well. It's really a sweet knife, that just happens to snap onto a rifle.[/quote] I dont have a blade in my possession unless its shaving sharp. And I mean a good clean shave normally. If you want, you can send it to me, I have a hookup with a guy who sharpens surgical equipment. I can make a knife shave, but he makes them whittle hair. Free of charge if you want it. Just let me know. Btw thanks to you, I called and priced out the parts to build my current ar into an M16A4 clone like I carried in the Marines. Complete with okc3s bayonet... Tapatalk ate my spelling. Edited by Spots

I have the sharpening tools. Edge Pro Apex, with Shapton Glass water stones for the top end. Just need to break it out and do it.

I'm real excited about the rifle build. I used some good parts. Nothing wrong with an A2 for me. I have five flat tops. I wanted some old school.

I'm liking it a lot too. I'm wondering a little about an S30V steel. Seems like most of the big tough knives use carbon steel instead of stainless. The M9 is stainless, but they tend to break.

Tool steel is springy. S30V and other stainless isn't.  Carbon/tool steels can be differentially tempered too, to preserve non-brittle nature of the back while allowing harder edge.

In short,  "survival/hard use knife" is rather synonymous with a level of "abuse" that stainless, whether conventional or sintered like S30V, just can't match without snapping.

- OS