Filming traffic stops

Shug

I would like to share my first DUI checkpoint story. I was a young officer, I had been in the traffic unit a few months and had a few DUI's under my belt. I encouraged my office that we do a DUI checkpoint on a New Years Eve. My department talked back and forth with the DA and other necessary people. They said no, but we could do it on Dec30 from 7pm until 11pm, at a particular location that sucked. We took about 8 officers out there. This location was terrible, we essentially setup at a dead end road, stopping every 4th vehicle. This was only about 10 vehicles an hour, surprisingly we did find a suspended license. I actually felt like an ass since I had been complaining about the time and location they allowed us.

It came time to start wrapping it up, I think we had shutdown the lights and picked up a few cones. I hear tires screeching when this guy came crashing through our checkpoint in an Exterra. The officers were actually trying to divert him around us. He stops and is crashed over the steering wheel, I get him to exit the vehicle and he sprawls his arms out on the side of the vehicle. This dude was trashed, he couldn't stand nor talk. We couldn't even do any of the SFST's he was so intoxicated. His BrAC was actually a little lower than I thought it would have been. Afterwards we were all talking about how bizarre the incident was and what a blessing of faith that we were where we were when we were.

Since then it has been my experience that you don't even have to talk to people, much less ask questions during DUI checkpoints to score big with one. They will find you. Edited by Patton
  • Like 1

Bad cops are out there. And some play games. Excuse the long windiness, but this needs to be told just as it happened..... I was working at Sequoyah Nuclear Plant back in the early 90's.  I had an older Ford Pickup step-side a  '81 or so, I was planning on fix'n up.  It had no radio, no air, but had new paint and ran pretty smooth for an inline 6 cylinder.  I got off work at 0330 and was driving from the plant down Sequoyah road towards Trenton ga where I lived. I was driving the speed limit, and couldn't wait to get to a krystal for a few gut bombs. As I drove under the new (at the time) overpass to get on Hwy 27 I saw there was 2 of Soddy Daisy's finest in 2 cars parked side by side up on the slanted concrete shoot'n the breeze I suppose. I was not speeding at all just riding along with my windows down, Tired from a 10 hour shift and trying to enjoy the night air.  Not another vehicle was in sight in any direction.  I made the right turn on the loop to Hwy 27, got on the 4 lane and ran her up to 55MPH. I didn't have cruise. A minute later, I looked in my mirror and here came both police cars blasting up on my rear.  I knew what was coming and just kept her on 55 to see what they had in mind.  Well, one came up right on my bumper and the other right at my back tire.  They both hit the lights and I just eased off the gas without hitting the brakes and let it coast to the side. Neither one of these "officers" was over 25 years old. One stood out to the side with his hand on his pistol, while the other came up to the window shining his flashlight in my eyes.  I just handed him my DL, INS, and REG and said "please don't shine that light in my eyes. I just got off of a 10 hour shift at Sequoyah and I'm tired". Flashlight guy says "I pulled you over because I heard loud music coming from your truck as you went by."  I said "REALLY..??  that's strange because I don't even have a radio in this thing. But I have to ask, if I decide to get a radio, just how loud is illegally loud? Before you answer, I'll tell you I grew up beside and went to school with the current Mayor of Soddy Daisy and know him very well." Well guess what?  I was quickly handed my "stuff" and told "the music must have been coming from someone else, have a safe ride home." Both of these twerps knew I could get them in trouble, but it was months before I mentioned this to anyone that mattered. Both were already gone from the force. I don't know why.  This is just how some guys act when they get a badge and a little authority.  It goes to their head and they just can't handle it.  This is probably the reason these guys wanted the jobs. To "Play Cop" not really BE COPS.  Not taking the job and responsibility seriously I mean. I respect all of you guys that ARE COPS...and don't just "Play Cop".  If you get high from the authority, you know who you are, then be honest with yourselves and give it up.

You tube views,soiled underwear, Fulfillment of entitlement issues,a chance to play lawyer with the cops. A chance to argue with a judge, and last but not least the chance to play with fire if they pick the wrong time and place to play ACLU expert.

In other words, a kwikrnu complex. I love that filter :)

• Like 1

Bad cops are out there. And some play games. Excuse the long windiness, but this needs to be told just as it happened..... I was working at Sequoyah Nuclear Plant back in the early 90's.  I had an older Ford Pickup step-side a  '81 or so, I was planning on fix'n up.  It had no radio, no air, but had new paint and ran pretty smooth for an inline 6 cylinder.  I got off work at 0330 and was driving from the plant down Sequoyah road towards Trenton ga where I lived. I was driving the speed limit, and couldn't wait to get to a krystal for a few gut bombs. As I drove under the new (at the time) overpass to get on Hwy 27 I saw there was 2 of Soddy Daisy's finest in 2 cars parked side by side up on the slanted concrete shoot'n the breeze I suppose. I was not speeding at all just riding along with my windows down, Tired from a 10 hour shift and trying to enjoy the night air.  Not another vehicle was in sight in any direction.  I made the right turn on the loop to Hwy 27, got on the 4 lane and ran her up to 55MPH. I didn't have cruise. A minute later, I looked in my mirror and here came both police cars blasting up on my rear.  I knew what was coming and just kept her on 55 to see what they had in mind.  Well, one came up right on my bumper and the other right at my back tire.  They both hit the lights and I just eased off the gas without hitting the brakes and let it coast to the side. Neither one of these "officers" was over 25 years old. One stood out to the side with his hand on his pistol, while the other came up to the window shining his flashlight in my eyes.  I just handed him my DL, INS, and REG and said "please don't shine that light in my eyes. I just got off of a 10 hour shift at Sequoyah and I'm tired". Flashlight guy says "I pulled you over because I heard loud music coming from your truck as you went by."  I said "REALLY..??  that's strange because I don't even have a radio in this thing. But I have to ask, if I decide to get a radio, just how loud is illegally loud? Before you answer, I'll tell you I grew up beside and went to school with the current Mayor of Soddy Daisy and know him very well." Well guess what?  I was quickly handed my "stuff" and told "the music must have been coming from someone else, have a safe ride home." Both of these twerps knew I could get them in trouble, but it was months before I mentioned this to anyone that mattered. Both were already gone from the force. I don't know why.  This is just how some guys act when they get a badge and a little authority.  It goes to their head and they just can't handle it.  This is probably the reason these guys wanted the jobs. To "Play Cop" not really BE COPS.  Not taking the job and responsibility seriously I mean. I respect all of you guys that ARE COPS...and don't just "Play Cop".  If you get high from the authority, you know who you are, then be honest with yourselves and give it up.

I wonder if that's the same two that my buddy locked into the back seat of one of their patrol cars, and drove off :). I'm not gonna tell the whole story. Needless to say, they were dicks to the wrong guy  :rofl:

I wonder if that's the same two that my buddy locked into the back seat of one of their patrol cars, and drove off :). I'm not gonna tell the whole story. Needless to say, they were dicks to the wrong guy  :rofl:

Now that sounds like something that should be shared...!!!   Statute of Limitations has run out by now....right?

• Like 1
Guest Keal G Seo

The point? There are a couple: First is lawsuits...most of the time. Not all attorneys require payment upfront after review. If they think they can win and get a decent amount they will give it a shot for a percentage of any award. Second is people who are tired of the insinuation without reasonable cause that they are criminals. I for one fall into the second category. My first firsthand experience was when I was 16, traveling to my cousins house one evening. I had just moved back to MS from MT and had not yet switched my licence over, still within the window I might add. DUI checkpoint on the main road out to his house, right at the city limits. I was new to driving at that point was still generally respectful to avoid any tickets. As I pulled up they asked for my ID which I already had out while waiting my turn. Immediately they asked me to pull over to the side. I complied with no retort. After about 2 mins they approached and asked to search my vehicle and I refused (knowing most of my friends were pot heads and we had smoked in the car and something may have been dropped or lost etc). Guess what? Uneducated 16 year old kid challenges authority, they comeback with something like "It's a checkpoint we don't need a warrant. Get out of the car."  Obviously they searched it anyway without my permission or a warrant but having no knowledge at the time I couldn't/didn't protest, didn't consent but also didn't protest.
Following this encounter I informed many people of what I thought was a wrong and turns out I was right. My parents had me file a complaint and request the video. Not surprisingly, the video of the side stop area was corrupt/irretrievable. So of course being my word against theirs there was no legal recourse. However because of our family ties in the local PD of the three officers involved 2 were fired on "unrelated matters" and 1 was demoted to desk duty and subsequently quit.

This is what got me into videoing officers. Anytime it is your word vs theirs, you lose. Video tapes don't lie. While the ones online are sometimes heavily edited, when it is your arse on the line you have the full video. Since I was 16 I have have videoed every encounter I have had with officers with an exception to wake up calls while living in apartments. And guess what? I don't have a single crime on my record or a single traffic ticket! I have even been pulled over and told I was speeding, generally 10-12 miles over, but when I point out that I have multiple cameras in my vehicles including one pointed at the instrument panel they seem to always come back with a warning. Video is a VERY powerful tool in keeping yourself out of the fire. Sure some people abuse it in just looking for trouble but if they aren't harming anyone and just wasting time who cares?

As for the whole constitutionality of DUI/border patrol thing: Yes they have been ruled legal but how often does the government admit the failings of it's ways? I have the freedom to move unmolested and the right to be secure in my persons and papers. A drivers licence or photo ID is "papers". So while I like the idea of getting drunks off the road, regardless of what fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent they are actually catching, I hold my rights and freedom dearer. I do not agree with any current ruling on the legality of DUI checkpoints...much less inland border patrol checkpoints.

This ones for mike Gideon history in the making: Voldemort complex You tube views,soiled underwear, Fulfillment of entitlement issues,a chance to play lawyer with the cops. A chance to argue with a judge, and last but not least the chance to play with fire if they pick the wrong time and place to play ACLU expert. This is known as a comdition of Voldemort After intentionally dumping a beer on his shirt, without drinking any of it voldemort strapped on a gun case for an automatic weapon and told the cop that stopped him that he was concerned for his rights and the cop shouldn't care if he smelled like booze in a school zone while carrying a ar15. He proceeded to tell the cop he knew his rights and protested being interviewed on the way to jail. This type of behavior is known as "Voldemort filtering"with a voldemort complex by $DustBuster on Aug 29, 2013 tags: Voldemort,ACLU,challenging cops,you tube stupidity, show cop gun Enjoy lol ( over exaggeration added for entertainment value only ) On a realistic note worst job in the world: Mr and ms xyz my name is detective jones do you have a son named bbvgc ? I regret to inform you your son was in an auto ole accident and..... Yeah we need DUI enforcement cause that job sucks Edited by Dustbuster
Guest Keal G Seo

Hey I just found something interesting. In 2009 there were about 11 million wrecks. Of those about 36 thousand were fatal within a year (insignificantly less for within 30 days). Of THOSE only about 10 thousand are DUIs. So only about 1/3rd of those "regret to inform you" notifications are DUI related. In case you don't get that number, in 2010 there were 11 thousand gun related homicides. So what fraction of a fraction do DUI checkpoints actually stop? I'd wager police would do better skipping the DUI checkpoints and keeping a keen eye out for signs of impairment or even sitting just outside the bars and watching for the guy stumbling to his car.

This ones for mike Gideon history in the making: Voldemort complex You tube views,soiled underwear, Fulfillment of entitlement issues,a chance to play lawyer with the cops. A chance to argue with a judge, and last but not least the chance to play with fire if they pick the wrong time and place to play ACLU expert. This is known as a comdition of Voldemort After intentionally dumping a beer on his shirt, without drinking any of it voldemort strapped on a gun case for an automatic weapon and told the cop that stopped him that he was concerned for his rights and the cop shouldn't care if he smelled like booze in a school zone while carrying a ar15. He proceeded to tell the cop he knew his rights and protested being interviewed on the way to jail. This type of behavior is known as "Voldemort filtering"with a voldemort complex by $DustBuster on Aug 29, 2013 tags: Voldemort,ACLU,challenging cops,you tube stupidity, show cop gun Enjoy lol ( over exaggeration added for entertainment value only ) On a realistic note worst job in the world: Mr and ms xyz my name is detective jones do you have a son named bbvgc ? I regret to inform you your son was in an auto ole accident and..... Yeah we need DUI enforcement cause that job sucks

I don't know what this Voldemort stuff is. But if some assclown poured beer on himself then rode around a school zone acting like he had an automatic weapon. Then he should have a few knots put upon his head to see if his brains needed jump started. That's one of the stupidest things I've heard. That ranks up there with that moron that use to be on here {may still be} that ran around a park with an AK 47 hanging off his back......And people wonder what's wrong with people that like firearms

I don't know what this Voldemort stuff is. But if some assclown poured beer on himself then rode around a school zone acting like he had an automatic weapon. Then he should have a few knots put upon his head to see if his brains needed jump started. That's one of the stupidest things I've heard. That ranks up there with that moron that use to be on here {may still be} that ran around a park with an AK 47 hanging off his back......And people wonder what's wrong with people that like firearms

That would be kwikrnu.

• Like 1
I don't agree that DUI checkpoints are effective or legal based on a very basic interpretation of the Constitution. At the same time, I believe that snot nose YouTube rangers who go looking for a fight with LE don't do anything but look like idiots and invite the buttpain they deserve.

When it comes to cameras, sure. Nothing wrong with taping interactions with law enforcement. They work for us after all, and sometimes there are bad ones. What gets me are the ones who do stuff to intentionally pick a fight with LE so they can post on YouTube how cops are dicks. Well, it ain't as if the cop woke up that morning and decided he was gonna screw with the first person he came across. Right, wrong or indifferent, when you pick a fight with a cop don't be surprised if you get your wish.

I don't agree that DUI checkpoints are effective or legal based on a very basic interpretation of the Constitution. At the same time, I believe that snot nose YouTube rangers who go looking for a fight with LE don't do anything but look like idiots and invite the buttpain they deserve.

When it comes to cameras, sure. Nothing wrong with taping interactions with law enforcement. They work for us after all, and sometimes there are bad ones. What gets me are the ones who do stuff to intentionally pick a fight with LE so they can post on YouTube how cops are dicks. Well, it ain't as if the cop woke up that morning and decided he was gonna screw with the first person he came across. Right, wrong or indifferent, when you pick a fight with a cop don't be surprised if you get your wish.

Very well said!

DaveS

Crack'a American

I don't agree that DUI checkpoints are effective or legal based on a very basic interpretation of the Constitution.

While I don't deny the questionable Legalities of such check points it is foolish to claim they are not effective. The effectiveness is the reason the SCOTUS has just had to tilt the scale in the favor of the check points. The numbers of impaired drivers taken at these checkpoints surprise everyone, several times I have heard that the checkpoints had to be shut down early because of too many drunks. Then the Centers for Disease Control releases it's study that states with DUI checkpoints have 20% less road fatalities. You just can't argue that they are unproductive. We advertise there time and location on the news, setup with signs and lights ahead of time just to gave some drunk pull up drinking in the line. It amazes me how productive they are.

While I don't deny the questionable Legalities of such check points it is foolish to claim they are not effective. The effectiveness is the reason the SCOTUS has just had to tilt the scale in the favor of the check points. The numbers of impaired drivers taken at these checkpoints surprise everyone, several times I have heard that the checkpoints had to be shut down early because of too many drunks. Then the Centers for Disease Control releases it's study that states with DUI checkpoints have 20% less road fatalities. You just can't argue that they are unproductive. We advertise there time and location on the news, setup with signs and lights ahead of time just to gave some drunk pull up drinking in the line. It amazes me how productive they are.

I'm basing my opinion on the experiences of a man with over 3 decades on highway patrol. I don't care what the SCOTUS says.
  • Like 1

Just because 9 old men and women who have no experience as regular working class citizens say so doesn't make it constitutional nor moral.  Our rights do not come from any branch of the government, let alone 9 men and women sitting on a bench is a far away land, they come from our humanity, they existed before the government, and can not be given or taken away, only immorally infringed upon by the government.

This is the same institution that said owning humans was 'constitutional', that locking up asians in concentration camps during WWII was 'constitutional', that 'separate but equal' was constitutional, that the government can throw you in jail for growing food for you to eat as 'constitutional', that killing unborn children up to the second before they're born is somehow 'constitutional', that the government can come and take your land away and give it to somebody else because the possibility of more tax dollars is 'constitutional', and finally that the commerce clause can force all americans to buy a product or face fines and jail times is 'constitutional'.

So, yeah some of us don't see the things as settled just because SCOTUS makes a ruling...  they have such a 'good' track record and all of respecting our individual rights.

The final word, Michigan v Sitz, on DUI checkpoints is that as long as public safety is the goal and the legal guidelines are met they are constitutional.

• Like 2
I'm sorry if you guys don't agree then you need to vote differently and voice your opinions to your elected officials. These are the people who hire the nine robed officials ruling. Until then this is the way it is?

I'm basing my opinion on the experiences of a man with over 3 decades on highway patrol. I don't care what the SCOTUS says.

We have an estimated 30 million drunk drivers a year in America, driving drunk 100 million times a year. Now with your seasoned experience how do you recommend we stop it?

I'm sorry if you guys don't agree then you need to vote differently and voice your opinions to your elected officials. These are the people who hire the nine robed officials ruling. Until then this is the way it is?

We have an estimated 30 million drunk drivers a year in America, driving drunk 100 million times a year. Now with your seasoned experience how do you recommend we stop it?

I never said I was an expert and had all the answers. I'm just telling you what I see as a waste of money and a violation of the Constitution. Surely there are better ways to catch drunks as well as punish them. I hate that we come up with BS solutions to problems because the real solutions are too hard.

Now, I'm not gonna go out with video cameras and pick fights with cops. Nor am I gonna burn down the DAs office because he lets repeat offenders who kill people plea down to probation. The whole system is effed up royal. The solution isn't to crap on the Constitution. I ain't above average smart, but I do know that.

Take the money we're wasting on ad campaigns and law enforcement trying to stop it... and spend that money on a program to bring automated driving ahead a few years earlier.  We're wasting 100's of millions of dollars a year on preventative DUI enforcement, all of which would be better spent getting these types of technologies out on the road faster. 

All this concern about drunk driving will go away over the next 20 years because of advancements in technology...  It's unlikely that my children will ever 'drive' a car like we do today, we are already seeing computers step in and prevent crashes in luxury cars today, over the next few years that technology will start to trickle down, and within 10 years we'll start to see fully automated cars that drive themselves.  20 years from now, I doubt you'll be able to buy a new car that doesn't drive itself.

And this technology will save even more lives than those lost due to DUIs, and will change the population in ways most of us can't even imagine.

BTW, while a 100 million times a year sounds like a lot, that's not even 1/500th of the traffic on our roads...  you're chasing a mouse around with a tank trying to kill it... and running over all of our natural rights in the process.

• Like 2

Hey I just found something interesting. In 2009 there were about 11 million wrecks. Of those about 36 thousand were fatal within a year (insignificantly less for within 30 days). Of THOSE only about 10 thousand are DUIs. So only about 1/3rd of those "regret to inform you" notifications are DUI related. In case you don't get that number, in 2010 there were 11 thousand gun related homicides. So what fraction of a fraction do DUI checkpoints actually stop? I'd wager police would do better skipping the DUI checkpoints and keeping a keen eye out for signs of impairment or even sitting just outside the bars and watching for the guy stumbling to his car.

Those 11 million most likely include granny backing into a shopping cart at Walgreens where the police did a report as a courtesy.
There are 36 thousand traffic fatalities in America a year on average, but 30% or more are alcohol related.

Sobriety checkpoints: traffic stops where law enforcement officers assess drivers’ level of alcohol impairment. These checkpoints consistently reduce alcohol-related crashes, typically by 9%.(CDC, 2013) Edited by Patton