For those loading 300 Blackout

[quote name="6.8 AR" post="1079170" timestamp="1387072984"]You know? You're right. Sorry about that. Their .300AAC were out of stock. I guess I was so excited to see them have anything in stock.[/quote] Yeah I know. I'd willing drop money on a barrel....if I could ever find one in 300
Guest Ditchdigger

Went to the Manchester gun show yesterday, afraid I might have caught another virus. The 300 BLK one. Probably wouldn't even have considered it if I didn't already have the 7.62 suppressor, and I do reload. Everyone looking for short barrels will you SBR them or just build pistoles? What twist would be best for suppressed, any other specials to look for? The 139.00 16" alpha barrel looks very reasonable.

[quote name="Ditchdigger" post="1079605" timestamp="1387162992"]Went to the Manchester gun show yesterday, afraid I might have caught another virus. The 300 BLK one. Probably wouldn't even have considered it if I didn't already have the 7.62 suppressor, and I do reload. Everyone looking for short barrels will you SBR them or just build pistoles? What twist would be best for suppressed, any other specials to look for? The 139.00 16" alpha barrel looks very reasonable.[/quote] You're already in the NFA game I'd SBR a 9" or 10.5" barrel. 1:7 or 1:8 twist depending on bullet weight. Anything over 220grain and I'd go 1:7. Either should work good though.
Guest Xmidnite_riderX

what's the benefit of the super short barrel, looks to me the 16 inch would work fine for most, and not have to give the government another 200 bucks, but I have never owned or shot a 300Black.

but all this talk about them has me curious.

Xmidnite_riderX

If you build it as a pistol you do not need to pay the $200. Also if the gun's overall length is 26", regardless of the abrrel length, you can add a vertical grip because it is not considered a rifle or a pistol.

The benefit of a short barrel is it is easily manuverable compared to a 16" barrel. Then there is the added benefit if you are using a suppressor. Take a 16" barrel and screw a 8" suppressor on the end and then you have a gun that is miserable to manuver with. Screw that same 8" suppressor on an 8" barrel and you end up with a setup that is shorter than a 16" barrel.

The 300 Blackout works very well with a short barrel. Way better than a 5.56 out of short barrel. 5.56 will not reliably fragment beyond 25 yards with a 10.5" barrel. And if the twist is too fast it will not even tumble. So you end up with a very loud and obnoxious 22lr.

The 300 Blackout is more like a magnum pistol caliber than a rifle caliber. Because of this it is a dream in a short barrel.

And finally subsonic rounds tend to be more consistent the shorter the barrel. And consistency leads to accuracy.

The 300 Blackout works very well with a short barrel. Way better than a 5.56 out of short barrel. 5.56 will not reliably fragment beyond 25 yards with a 10.5" barrel. And if the twist is too fast it will not even tumble. So you end up with a very loud and obnoxious 22lr.

Watch out, I made this same "argument" a few months back and finally had to agree to disagree about how great a 5.56 was out of such a short barrel. The .22lr is a perfect description.