Guidelines Regarding Law Enforcement Threads on TGO

MacGyver

I wasn't replying to you or talking about the actions of any moderator (nor was I quoting a moderator). The purpose of my last post was in support of the statement that an administrator had told mav that "no one should be editing other people's posts". I was and am referring to the practice of some members here who take posts (of mine or others), alter what was said (often completely changing the meaning) and then presenting it as a "quote".

I suppose some of those doing it think it's funny...I do not.

It's dishonest, it's disrespectful and it's childish and it shouldn't be allowed...many of the boards I belong to run software that mechanically doesn't allow it to happen at all.

"They" don't just do that here. "They" do it everywhere. FTFY (fixed that for you) makes it very clear to everybody that the post was edited. You are the only one I've seen, on any board where it's common practice, that throws a hissy fit over it. I honor your wishes, but still don't get why it's a big issue to you.

It's probably about as fair as every time one of us speaks up and is labeled anti-leo/anti-government we constantly get compared to 'the one who shall not be named', or even accused of being a sock puppet of Voldemort :)

There are cheerleaders on both sides of these issues that sometimes (myself included) taking things a little too far, or harp on a specific subject...  the issue I see is only one side of that equation is getting called out by the forum admins/mods, and the other side isn't being called to the carpet at all.  There are some really out and out 'big government' trolls who are just as bad if not worse than us "anti-government" types as we're being labeled.

I truth is I haven't seen any true anti-government or overthrow the government posts since the Newtown fallout threads ended months ago.  

You guys make the rules, we are guests here and need to follow them, but this one sure feels a little slanted against one viewpoint that is held by a significant number of forum members (clearly a minority but it's more than just 3 or 4 of us).

That is not it. But what we want is fairness. How fair is it that probably less than 1% get represented here in 99% of the posts about LE?

Edited by JayC

"They" don't just do that here. "They" do it everywhere. FTFY (fixed that for you) makes it very clear to everybody that the post was edited. You are the only one I've seen, on any board where it's common practice, that throws a hissy fit over it. I honor your wishes, but still don't get why it's a big issue to you.

I throw a "hissy fit" when it's done for the sole purpose of insulting/berating/belittling/disparaging the person being quoted/the person's position.  I guess I don't get why it's hard to get why that would be upsetting, Mike?  ;)

Words mean things and on an internet forum they hold ALL the meaning because we aren't sitting across a table from each other have a shot of Jack on the rocks...the words on the screen are all we have to know not just what someone said but what they meant.

• Like 1

I wasn't replying to you or talking about the actions of any moderator (nor was I quoting a moderator). The purpose of my last post was in support of the statement that an administrator had told mav that "no one should be editing other people's posts". I was and am referring to the practice of some members here who take posts (of mine or others), alter what was said (often completely changing the meaning) and then presenting it as a "quote".

Sorry about that Robert.  Your misinterpretation of what I wrote is my fault.  What Mike and TMF are doing above is not what David was referring to.  He was talking about my actual post, not a quote from my post, being edited in the above manner that I described.  The only people who can edit your original post are moderators and yourself.

Sorry about that Robert.  Your misinterpretation of what I wrote is my fault.  What Mike and TMF are doing above is not what David was referring to.  He was talking about my actual post, not a quote from my post, being edited in the above manner that I described.  The only people who can edit your original post are moderators and yourself.

Yeah...I did misunderstand what you were referring to. It doesn't actually change my stand on the "pretend quotes" I was talking about but thanks for clearing it up.

• Admin Team

I commonly edit posts to remove language, offensive links, and personal information that someone may not want shared.  As a general rule, when I do this, I leave the "edited by" comment visible, and leave a reason.

I figure if it was my post, I'd rather have it cleaned up than removed altogether.  The poster always retains the right to go back in and re-express themselves in a more appropriate manner.

• Like 1
Guest TresOsos

That is not it. But what we want is fairness. How fair is it that probably less than 1% get represented here in 99% of the posts about LE?

fairness......I remember what my father said "Life ain't fair...get over it".

It is unfortunate that most of the news about LEOs in the media is negative and that's what gets posted and commented on, deserved or undeserved.

I commonly edit posts to remove language, offensive links, and personal information that someone may not want shared.  As a general rule, when I do this, I leave the "edited by" comment visible, and leave a reason.

I figure if it was my post, I'd rather have it cleaned up than removed altogether.  The poster always retains the right to go back in and re-express themselves in a more appropriate manner.

I agree with this 100%, and I am glad there are people available to do so.  If you want, you guys are more than welcome to edit my posts for grammatical errors.  It will help keep OhShoot off my ass.  :)

• Like 2

I throw a "hissy fit" when it's done for the sole purpose of insulting/berating/belittling/disparaging the person being quoted/the person's position.  I guess I don't get why it's hard to get why that would be upsetting, Mike?  ;)

Words mean things and on an internet forum they hold ALL the meaning because we aren't sitting across a table from each other have a shot of Jack on the rocks...the words on the screen are all we have to know not just what someone said but what they meant.

I may razz you, but will never set out to berate you. Anyway, not all my AR-15's are sissy calibers, so there! :)

I agree with this 100%, and I am glad there are people available to do so.  If you want, you guys are more than welcome to edit my posts for grammatical errors.  It will help keep OhShoot off my ass.  :)

It is impossible to avoid OhShoot's wrath. He'll get you on something... just a matter of time :)

I may razz you, but will never set out to berate you. Anyway, not all my AR-15's are sissy calibers, so there! :)

I don't own an AR in a sissy caliber or otherwise...I went solely with SCARs and at this point, see no reason to go "old school" with a design that's nearly 60 years old...after all, this aint a 1911 we are talking about.  :)

It is impossible to avoid OhShoot's wrath. He'll get you on something... just a matter of time :)

Yeah, but I busted his ass a while back on milk toast versus milquetoast.  One of my more enjoyable moments.  :lol:

• Like 1

My Avatar came from James Bond's Live and Let Die.  I watched it again a week or so ago, and I forgot how funny Sheriff J.W. Pepper's skit was.  It was about time to update Bluto (John Belushi) anyway.

I love that movie, even as campy as it was...especially loved Sheriff J.W. Pepper.

I especially loved it when the officer was explaining to Sheriff Pepper that James Bond was a secret agent and Pepper responded "On Whooooos Side?"  :)

EDIT: Jane Seymour being in that movie didn't hurt anything either!

Edited by RobertNashville

1. On the subject of open carry getting questioned/harassed/detained by law enforcement.  I have no doubt that these people believe in what they're doing.  Ideologically, I agree with them to an extent - in that I think I should be able to carry where I want in whatever manner that I choose.  That said, discretion is a highly underrated virtue, and that's something that seems lacking in these stories.  As a general rule, these threads aren't really newsworthy.  They're sideshows with cops doing their jobs.  Do some of them stumble through it?  Yes.  Do some of them display a more aggressive attitude than necessary?  I don't know.  Maybe?  You decided express your first amendment rights through the second amendment - you're making a statement with a deadly weapon.  You should probably expect law enforcement to be on edge in 2013.  All that said, if you want a place to post open carry stories - again if it's not in Tennessee - go over to opencarry.org or any of the other places that'll give you all the response you seek.

We should expect LEOs to be on edge in 2013 why?

(Note: I know it was point 2 but the autonumbering changed it)

If it's the 1% who cause all the problems for the 99% who don't need the stereotype given, I would rather see the 1% get

all the scrutiny it can, and get rid of them so the 99% can do their job more professionally, wouldn't you? I don't think it

has anything to do with fairness. Besides, fairness is too subjective of a term.

Gordon. Those of us who genuinely get riled up about these bad examples of behavior and professionalism tend to

have convictions and resolve to stay away from those bad types. We look out for right and wrong, just like I think

you meant to say.

If anything goes unchecked long enough, it gets forgotten and becomes a new baseline, which makes life more difficult.

Kind of like the ratcheting effect some apply to gas prices.