Guidelines Regarding Law Enforcement Threads on TGO

MacGyver

...I was also informed by the administrator that no one should be editing other people's posts....

Editing other people's posts is somehing that, in my humble opinion, shoudl have a hard rule against the act.

For someone to change the wording of a person's post and then present it as a "quote" is beyong childish...it's dishonest; most especially when it's done for no other reason than to diaparrage the person being "quoted".

It was not heavy handed. I simply brought it in line with what the owner of the board wanted.

I have never been told not to edit posts that need it. But if that is what needs to happen then so be it. Or perhaps a better approach might be to delete the posts altogether but then that won't be right either. No matter what we, as moderators do, someone is going to be upset. We cannot do anything that everybody agrees with 100%. And what someone might feel heavy handed might not even be a blip to another. If I upset you then I appologize for upsetting you but I will not appologizing for bringing a post inline with what the board owner asked.

If anyone has issue with what I do report it, I welcome it. The other moderators as well as Macgyver and David have ZERO issue with telling me I am wrong. And I have zero issue accepting it and even appologizing when I am wrong.

Robert go find a post where a moderator or admin has done this and report it. You are going to have a hard time because none of us have done that as far as I am aware. I know I have never done it. 

• Moderators

Butthurt.

Like this? :lol:

Robert go find a post where a moderator or admin has done this and report it. You are going to have a hard time because none of us have done that as far as I am aware. I know I have never done it.

I am thinking he isn't talking about the mods, but what I just did to him above. I have quit messing with him since TGODavid's admonition to knock off the kind of arguing I engage in with BobNashvegas. He just carries around a lot of butthurt about it. Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1

It was not heavy handed. I simply brought it in line with what the owner of the board wanted.

I have never been told not to edit posts that need it. But if that is what needs to happen then so be it. Or perhaps a better approach might be to delete the posts altogether but then that won't be right either. No matter what we, as moderators do, someone is going to be upset. We cannot do anything that everybody agrees with 100%. And what someone might feel heavy handed might not even be a blip to another. If I upset you then I appologize for upsetting you but I will not appologizing for bringing a post inline with what the board owner asked.

If anyone has issue with what I do report it, I welcome it. The other moderators as well as Macgyver and David have ZERO issue with telling me I am wrong. And I have zero issue accepting it and even appologizing when I am wrong.

I'll just call you up :). I understand that everything posted here goes into a permanent "record", and some things may have to get cleaned up. With that said, if there's a way to get the poster to clean up his mess, and teach him a little about how things are supposed to be in the process, you may have done something better than just fixing a post. A good manager guides, he doesn't control. I learned that the hard way.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
Here's the thing, y'all.

We're not trying to ban any topic. Nor are we saying you have to be pro law enforcement. Lord knows I'm critical of a lot that's going on right now, and I love to discuss issues big and small.

But, if you're going to engage in a discussion, make sure you're actually adding to the debate. Do that and you're fine.

If a thread devolves, we'll lock it. We don't do this very much now, and I don't expect to going forward. My original post was just giving you guys some insight into how we're looking at things as moderators.

Here's the thing, y'all.

We're not trying to ban any topic. Nor are we saying you have to be pro law enforcement. Lord knows I'm critical of a lot that's going on right now, and I love to discuss issues big and small.

But, if you're going to engage in a discussion, make sure you're actually adding to the debate. Do that and you're fine.

If a thread devolves, we'll lock it. We don't do this very much now, and I don't expect to going forward. My original post was just giving you guys some insight into how we're looking at things as moderators.

This thread didn't surprise me at all. I kinda saw it coming. 

• Like 1
Guest TresOsos

Here's the thing, y'all.

We're not trying to ban any topic. Nor are we saying you have to be pro law enforcement.

No, but it kind of sounds like if your not pro LEO on a subject, please don't express it.

Could I get an answer to my question #2 ?

No, but it kind of sounds like if your not pro LEO on a subject, please don't express it.

Could I get an answer to my question #2 ?

I think I can answer it for you. If you wish to express an opinion( of yours) that is made with the intent to disparage

all for the sake of a few, then don't express it. If you don't like someone, tell them, instead of telling the world.

For an opinion to have any value to another, it should have something of substance that adds to the discussion, rather

than taking out one's frustrations about one isolated personal incident.

Heck, after typing that, I think my brain finally wrapped around this issue. I knew I would stall Alzheimer's another day

or two. :D

I think I can answer it for you. If you wish to express an opinion( of yours) that is made with the intent to disparage

all for the sake of a few, then don't express it. If you don't like someone, tell them, instead of telling the world.

For an opinion to have any value to another, it should have something of substance that adds to the discussion, rather

than taking out one's frustrations about one isolated personal incident.

Heck, after typing that, I think my brain finally wrapped around this issue. I knew I would stall Alzheimer's another day

or two. :D

Damn, you're good :). It's why you have the most likes on all of TGO.

Edited by mikegideon
Guest TresOsos

Thank you 6.8 but it does not answer my question #2.

Is this change of policy/tone directly relate to complaints by the LEO's on the board. A simple honest yes or no will suffice.

• Moderators

Robert is one of my favorite guys. So are you. That's why I'll say, he's gonna beat your ass next time he sees you  :rofl:

I doubt we will ever come face to face. :lol:

When he was coming to Memphis for that class at Rangemasters, I was actually gonna invite him out for a "no hard feelings" beer. I have friends who are actual card carrying communists; I figured he couldn't be all bad. I couldn't send the PM cause he had me blocked. :lol:
  • Like 2
  • Admin Team

Thank you 6.8 but it does not answer my question #2.

Is this change of policy/tone directly relate to complaints by the LEO's on the board. A simple honest yes or no will suffice.

Register a complaint around here and you're likely to die of old age before we cede to your list of demands.

This was absolutely not driven by complaints. As I said in the original post, it's us as a staff keeping our fingers on the pulse of the community and noticing something off. We've got a good thing here that we don't particularly want to see screwed up.

We thought posting some guidance as opposed to making hard and fast rule changes in the TOS would be more than sufficient for the vast majority of our membership.
  • Like 2

How can "no concrete guidelines", and "staff using their discretion in making judgment calls" be anything but "arbitrary"?

- OS

We'll all do it David's way.  Simple, huh?  If we all think twice before posting and act like adults - maybe it'll become a habit.

• Like 1

Gordon, I have absolutely no problems with you bringing a post inline with your interpretation of what the admin's want.  I might not always agree and may openly state my disagreement, but it is their forum and your job to moderate it.  In the case I was referring to, I did not have a problem with my post being edited, only in the manner in which it was done.  When my post was edited to look as follows

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hypertext link

READ IT!!

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I was rather irritated.  In my mind, that was an unnecessary provocation, which ultimately did not produce the intended results.  I am certainly not trying to tell you how to moderate the forum, but I ask if there could have better approach.  As Mike was alluding to in an earlier post, I think so, and I believe the end results would have been what you and the admins wanted.

As far as this issue goes, I am done with it, and your apology was unnecessary, but I do appreciate the gesture.

...Robert go find a post where a moderator or admin has done this and report it. You are going to have a hard time because none of us have done that as far as I am aware. I know I have never done it. 

I wasn't replying to you or talking about the actions of any moderator (nor was I quoting a moderator). The purpose of my last post was in support of the statement that an administrator had told mav that "no one should be editing other people's posts". I was and am referring to the practice of some members here who take posts (of mine or others), alter what was said (often completely changing the meaning) and then presenting it as a "quote".

I suppose some of those doing it think it's funny...I do not.

It's dishonest, it's disrespectful and it's childish and it shouldn't be allowed...many of the boards I belong to run software that mechanically doesn't allow it to happen at all.

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest TresOsos

Register a complaint around here and you're likely to die of old age before we cede to your list of demands.

This was absolutely not driven by complaints. As I said in the original post, it's us as a staff keeping our fingers on the pulse of the community and noticing something off. We've got a good thing here that we don't particularly want to see screwed up.

We thought posting some guidance as opposed to making hard and fast rule changes in the TOS would be more than sufficient for the vast majority of our membership.

Thank you for your answer, I just had some concerns that this might be driven by other factors.

I would not want the forum to inadvertently create a "Protected Class" of individuals above scutiny and criticism.

Thank you for your answer, I just had some concerns that this might be driven by other factors.

I would not want the forum to inadvertently create a "Protected Class" of individuals above scutiny and criticism.

That is not it. But what we want is fairness. How fair is it that probably less than 1% get represented here in 99% of the posts about LE?