A Prepper Recommendation

Dennis1209

For those of you who don't believe tomorrow will be the same as yesterday and today, and you smell something fishy in Denmark and might consider storing a can of beans, a couple band aids and a 50 pack of .22's for emergencies...

This YouTube guy is for you! "Maine Prepper".

His YouTube videos are a wealth of no nonsense and informative information and he really impressed me with his back ground and knowledge.

Just thought I'd share a source I found excellent!

While I disagree with his 28 rounds in a 30 video, I like a lot of his other stuff. If a mag is designed to hold 30 then that's what should be in it and if a 30 round mag doesn't function properly with 30 rounds then its a poor design. I don't know if I would want to carry them anyways and the whole spring tension argument, it's been proven time and time again that keeping a spring compressed doesn't shorten its live, it's cycling the spring that will weaken it and eventually lead to magazine failure.
  • Like 1

He's right, but wrong.

I do teach / subscribe to the "28 in a 30" practice (and now my Dept does too), but only for one reason.  Reloads.

Reloading an AR15, with a closed bolt, is usually much more positive with 28 than with 30.  This goes for the vast majority of AR mags out there.

I've been to numerous training classes where there is someone who insists on loading 30, performs a closed-bolt reload, and attempts to fire...only to get a click and have the fully loaded mag drop out of the gun because it wasn't locked in fully.

28 creates less spring tension and makes it less likely that this will happen under stress...whether it's a timed drill or a fight for your life.

Load the mag already in the gun with 30 if you please (if two rounds are that big of a deal to you), but I'd suggest keeping the reload mags with 28.

Spring life has nothing to do with it.

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 1

Guy isn't giving good info, using his suggestion, we should just put 8 rounds in each magazine so the spring doesn't compress very much. Not sure what his other videos are like, but this was more like "the bolt locked back, but I digress, the sky was blue, it was a hot day, you are not a killing machine, but I digress, don't use your finger to release the bolt"  Impossible to even follow.

He's right, but wrong.
I do teach / subscribe to the "28 in a 30" practice (and now my Dept does too), but only for one reason. Reloads.
Reloading an AR15, with a closed bolt, is usually much more positive with 28 than with 30. This goes for the vast majority of AR mags out there.
I've been to numerous training classes where there is someone who insists on loading 30, performs a closed-bolt reload, and attempts to fire...only to get a click and have the fully loaded mag drop out of the gun because it wasn't locked in fully.
28 creates less spring tension and makes it less likely that this will happen under stress...whether it's a timed drill or a fight for your life.

Load the mag already in the gun with 30 if you please (if two rounds are that big of a deal to you), but I'd suggest keeping the reload mags with 28.

Ive heard of people doing this for years. No offense, but I think its more technique than the mags fault. I don't know a single person in the Marines that I served with who only ran 28. Everyone topped their mags out. An AR is supposed to get seated firmly, not gently eased into the mag well. Slap thsm in like they are meant to go and they will seat just find. A 30rd magazine was designed to hold 30 rds and be reloaded with 30 rds in it. If it reloaded better with 28 rds, then why wouldn't they just call it a 28 rd magazine, or extend enough to make up the difference? JMHO

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Ive heard of people doing this for years. No offense, but I think its more technique than the mags fault. I don't know a single person in the Marines that I served with who only ran 28. Everyone topped their mags out. An AR is supposed to get seated firmly, not gently eased into the mag well. Slap thsm in like they are meant to go and they will seat just find. A 30rd magazine was designed to hold 30 rds and be reloaded with 30 rds in it. If it reloaded better with 28 rds, then why wouldn't they just call it a 28 rd magazine, or extend enough to make up the difference? JMHO

No offense taken.

And I've seen plenty of Marines drop fully loaded mags out of their rifles and onto the deck.  :)

Pat Rogers, a Marine, has seen a lot more than me.  He teaches (EAG) and has written several articles about it.

BTW, while on duty, I load all my G23 reload mags with 12 rounds for the same reason.

Edited by TN-popo

No offense taken.
And I've seen plenty of Marines drop fully loaded mags out of their rifles.
Pat Rogers, a Marine, has seen a lot more than me.

I can honestly say that in 5 years the only people I saw not get their mags seated were normally female Marines. And I coached on the range on and off for 4 years. Like I said, just my opinion. I'll take the take the 2 extra rounds and just make sure my mags are seated right.

• Like 1

To tag on with what Spots is saying, I've seen plenty of magazines fall out on the range when we had them loaded with completely random amounts of ammo to practice reloading.  It normally happened when people were limp-wristing an insert.

But also spots, I don't get your statement concerning it only happening to female marines, I thought all marines were girls?

Edited by Sam1

To tag on with what Spots is saying, I've seen plenty of magazines fall out on the range when we had them loaded with completely random amounts of ammo to practice reloading. It normally happened when people were limp-wristing an insert.

But also spots, I don't get your statement concerning it only happening to female marines, I thought all marines were girls?

Your thinking of the Navy. The Marines are the mens department of the Navy.

• Like 1

He's right, but wrong.

I do teach / subscribe to the "28 in a 30" practice (and now my Dept does too), but only for one reason.  Reloads.

Reloading an AR15, with a closed bolt, is usually much more positive with 28 than with 30.  This goes for the vast majority of AR mags out there.

I saw this first hand in Iraq. A friend's magazine dropped into a pool of blood. Luckily it was the blood from a cow we were watching being butchered in the middle of a sidewalk in a busy transportation depot about 9 in the morning. That is a tale for another day though.

I like the idea of 2 tracers at the bottom of the mag.

Plus I like that speed loader.

I routinely loaded ~5 tracers at the bottom of my mags.

• Like 1

To tag on with what Spots is saying, I've seen plenty of magazines fall out on the range when we had them loaded with completely random amounts of ammo to practice reloading.  It normally happened when people were limp-wristing an insert.

Ouch.

Your thinking of the Navy. The Marines are the mens department of the Navy.

Zinger.