Tipped Min. Wage

Guest Keal G Seo

They are calculated and taken out of your paycheck (where the CC tips are also credited) just like a normal paycheck.

Hmm. Lumber_jack says it's a bit different. It's been a long time, I am likely incorrect.

I think I may be misremembering. It's quite possible the tips are added to your check and taxes withheld accordingly.

I'm certain the cash tips were done on an honor reporting basis

When I served (8yrs ago) we had to enter the credit card tip amount into the computer system to get paid that tip. The system recorded that and sent you a check. It showed up on your W2 as untaxed wages.

For cash tips you were supposed to input the amount of cash into the computer for the same reason. But as TMF said no one was honest and most people claimed 0 cash tips.

And this is the reason I have, and will continue too, tip on the credit card.

I also don't believe that it is an industry-wide standard to essentially "guess" at a servers tip based on the amount of sales he/she had for a night and force them to claim it on the w-2. My guess is that would lead to too many lawsuits regarding over-estimation of taxable income on the side of the employer.  

I do believe (from first hand accounts by my server friends) that there is an industry-wide practice of under reporting tips to a.) lower the taxable income at the end of the year; and b.) forcing the restaurant to pay the difference between their "earned income" (a combination of hourly rate and tips) and the minimum wage.  So essentially by under reporting tips, the servers are asking the customer to subsidize their income with tax-free, non-reported tips; and stealing from the employer by forcing them to pay them more.

• Like 2
I will tip well for good service, but if the service is bad the tip goes down, regardless of the food quality (the server didn't over cook your steak) This is at restaurants with actual servers, but at buffets and fast food I do not tip. And I can't stand to see tip jars except for when they're set up for the band or bartender. I have also called in a to go order at a restaurant and they added15-20% to the bill for gratuity. When this happens to me i won't be ordering take out from there again.
[quote name="npgunner" post="1039000" timestamp="1380131114"] And this is the reason I have, and will continue too, tip on the credit card. I also don't believe that it is an industry-wide standard to essentially "guess" at a servers tip based on the amount of sales he/she had for a night and force them to claim it on the w-2. My guess is that would lead to too many lawsuits regarding over-estimation of taxable income on the side of the employer. I do believe (from first hand accounts by my server friends) that there is an industry-wide practice of under reporting tips to a.) lower the taxable income at the end of the year; and b.) forcing the restaurant to pay the difference between their "earned income" (a combination of hourly rate and tips) and the minimum wage. So essentially by under reporting tips, the servers are asking the customer to subsidize their income with tax-free, non-reported tips; and stealing from the employer by forcing them to pay them more.[/quote] Yep, I was young, dumb, and naive. I participated in this because it was what was taught to me by senior servers. I later realized (had it explained to me) how I was being dishonest and reported cash tips accordingly. I've been fortunate enough to not have to work that god forsaken job since then Edited by Lumber_Jack

Some of you people shouldn't be allowed to eat outside of your homes or fast food.  It is amazing the mental leaps and justifications people make in order not to leave a tip or a miserly tip.

Why should I have to go into an eatery and pay a mandatory tip? Please explain? It's not about being cheap or anything else. I don't dine there to make up an employers short comings to what he pays his employees. When I go out to eat, I expect the high and outrageous prices I pay for chow to cover expenses. Just the way it is. If my waitress is polite, courteous and takes care of my dinning needs (being cute helps a little too) then she'll receive a decent tip. If she's a total bi***, she better look elsewhere's for one. I don't tip my lawn boy, my mail carrier, my roofer,or the slug at walmart for services rendered. A waiter or waitress has to earn it, as it doesn't come automatically!

A tip should be a sign of how good you served your customer, and not based on how much I spend!

DaveS

I don't see how tips that are on a credit card are "reported" to IRS. Only way I can think of would have to be on a 1099 at end of year, but the restaurant is not the payer so not sure they could issue one for it? Not to mention the sheer complexity of keeping up with it all?

- OS

You can't avoid the credit card tips being recorded. Add to that you must claim your tips at the end of every shift. So there is a record of it. Cash tips are different since you're just pocketing whatever is left over, but you still claim tips at the end of your shift; it's just that you have the ability not to claim cash tips if you want. Not a smart move if the IRS suddenly wants to investigate a restaurant for organizational tax evasion. Not that I've seen anything like that happen, but the management had all the scary cautionary tales for servers who tried to claim really low tips (like 5% or lower).

You could never get away with zero tips if customers are using credit cards. Even if everything was cash sales, you're really messing with the bull to claim zero. If the IRS wanted to come after you they could.

Most of my paychecks were "no pay due" because I claimed enough tips that my measly min wage went to Uncle Sam. This translated to owing a little bit at the end of the year.
  • Like 1

I don't care how lousy the service was, I always tip, and it is typically 15% or higher.  I once tipped a guy $20 for wiping off my irons after a round of golf, and I tipped the guy at Autozone $10 for spending a whopping 3 minutes to install a battery in my car because I didn't have any tools with me.  In both cases, I am sure it made their day.  I know I felt good about it.

Guest Keal G Seo

I never said I tip for bad service. 15% is for standard service, that's all. Really good service will yield a larger tip.

And no, I'm not sure what you're basing all your extensive knowledge of the restaurant industry that you keep suggesting servers are demanding higher tips from their customers. I go out to eat all the time. I haven't experienced this tip revolution you're talking about. Just because you may have heard a server or two whine about poor tippers doesn't make you an industry expert. How about you just accept you may not know what you're talking about since you've obviously never worked the job.

And the last thing, why the hell are you so wrapped up in the minimum wage thing? It is not a minimum wage job. If e highest expectation a server had was to clear minimum wage then there wouldn't be decent service, anywhere. It sounds to me like you heard a server complain once and you're basing all your knowledge of the industry on that and you're coming here just to bitch about it instead of listening to people that have actually done this job before. You should have included the disclaimer in your original post: "I'm just here to piss and moan; I'm not interested in actual information from people who know things."

I don't claim to be industry expert, just making observation of the dozens servers I have known personally over the years...including my sister and brother from another mother. Though my sister doesn't gripe about low tips because she knows how much she makes over the week. My brother has and once I ask about how much he made over the shift he usually smiles and shuts up. Again don't claim to be an expert or to have worked the job, in fact I stated I haven't. Just because I haven't worked the job or am not an industry expert doesn't negate my opinion on how servers gripe about low tips when they are making enough money overall.
I am wrapped up in the minimum wage thing because the job they took is considered a minimum wage job and what most claim on their taxes is minimum wage. It can sound like whatever you want it to sound like, I really don't care. I like how you get personal when someone makes arguments you can't dispel. Why don't you just keep to yourself if you can't stay on topic without getting personal?  

"Expected" to make? What server "expects" to only make minimum wage? I can tell you, if the job only made min wage no one would do it. It is extremely stressful, fast paced work. Often times your server is working a 12 hour day, and there is only a few hours a day where they're filling all those tables, so when it isn't a rush or they're doing side work after a shift, they're only making 2.13/hr while they're doing it.

Also, what meals are you having at Ruby Tuesdays or hooters that costs $25 bucks everytime?

The whole reason I put quotes around expected is because it is listed as a near minimum wage job and thus considered one. And that isn't disputable, $8.81/hour is what the Bureau of Labor and Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook. So according to the government (IRS included) the average server is only reporting about 6 bucks an hour in tips.
As for my meals, not sure about Hooters haven't been there in a while but Ruby Tuesday's your looking at 8-10 for an appetizer, 10-15 for entree (just their burger is 12) and if you get a drink other than water better tack on another 2-3 bucks, so there is your 20-25. Now lets add desert...

No, I meant $10+ per guest at the table, which still comes out to your $40-50 per table for 2 people, but that doesn't matter. The point is that in most cases they don't have full tables for their entire shift...only a small portion of their shift. You also need to work on your math skills, but in your eyes that would only have waiters making even more than they are "expected" to make in your example. 

I think you need to walk a mile in their shoes because you clearly don't have any idea what the average waiter/waitress makes. Certainly waiters and waitresses can make good money at certain restaurants, but a significant portion of them at most restaurants do well just to exceed the minimum wage by a small percentage and that's with providing good service. I've said all I am going to say on this...you can lead a mule to water, but you can't make one drink.    

My math skills? Where is my math off?
No one would hire me for service because of the wheelchair, believe me I tried when I was trying to work right after my accident. I figured maybe the wheelchair would get me some pitty tips lol.

Why should I have to go into an eatery and pay a mandatory tip? Please explain? It's not about being cheap or anything else. I don't dine there to make up an employers short comings to what he pays his employees. When I go out to eat, I expect the high and outrageous prices I pay for chow to cover expenses. Just the way it is. If my waitress is polite, courteous and takes care of my dinning needs (being cute helps a little too) then she'll receive a decent tip. If she's a total bi***, she better look elsewhere's for one. I don't tip my lawn boy, my mail carrier, my roofer,or the slug at walmart for services rendered. A waiter or waitress has to earn it, as it doesn't come automatically!

A tip should be a sign of how good you served your customer, and not based on how much I spend!

DaveS

Mandatory tip?  Where did I say that?  Your last few sentences are at odds with your first few.

A tip should be based on quality of services rendered.  The problem starts when customers don't want to tip, go out of their way to find reasons not to tip, or are there to commit outright fraud. 

Shitty service doesn't deserve a tip.  Good service does. 

You don't tip your lawn boy, mail carrier, roofer, or walmart worker because it is an entirely different sort of job.  Same reason people tip tattoo artists, valets, etc.  You're comparing apples to oranges.

I think a lot of you are underestimating the number of hours a server works too.  By the time you include getting to the job on time, going through line up, reviewing the menu/specials, setting up, working, closing down, doing side work, etc....you're looking at an easy 8 hours.

I haven't worked in a restaurant since 2005 but I can't imagine that its changed that drastically.  I worked in one of the better places in Memphis and that job was no joke with regards to the stress of dealing with people and the managers.  Waiting tables is not easy.  Again, you can recognize someone who has worked in a restaurant before.  They recognize the difference between BS excuses and good work.   And they tip accordingly.

• Like 2

I don't claim to be industry expert, just making observation of the dozens servers I have known personally over the years...including my sister and brother from another mother. Though my sister doesn't gripe about low tips because she knows how much she makes over the week. My brother has and once I ask about how much he made over the shift he usually smiles and shuts up. Again don't claim to be an expert or to have worked the job, in fact I stated I haven't. Just because I haven't worked the job or am not an industry expert doesn't negate my opinion on how servers gripe about low tips when they are making enough money overall.
I am wrapped up in the minimum wage thing because the job they took is considered a minimum wage job and what most claim on their taxes is minimum wage. It can sound like whatever you want it to sound like, I really don't care. I like how you get personal when someone makes arguments you can't dispel. Why don't you just keep to yourself if you can't stay on topic without getting personal?

The whole reason I put quotes around expected is because it is listed as a near minimum wage job and thus considered one. And that isn't disputable, $8.81/hour is what the Bureau of Labor and Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook. So according to the government (IRS included) the average server is only reporting about 6 bucks an hour in tips.
As for my meals, not sure about Hooters haven't been there in a while but Ruby Tuesday's your looking at 8-10 for an appetizer, 10-15 for entree (just their burger is 12) and if you get a drink other than water better tack on another 2-3 bucks, so there is your 20-25. Now lets add desert...

I'm not getting personal. You have multiple people, including myself, who attempted to explain to you how the industry works in order to give you insight. I haven't worked in that industry since George Bush took his oath of office, so I have nothing to gain by servers getting or not getting tips. We simply were responding to your original post, which you have shown you don't care to acknowledge those points, so really this thread was created for no other reason other than for you to complain about folks who get their wages from tips.

I will now get personal though. The reason you have such a disdain for the system as it exists is because you resent folks making good money that you don't feel they have earned, and I detect a little envy in there too. You have zero ability to make such judgments about these workers because you have not worked in the industry and clearly don't value the perspective of those who have. You just want to be mad that they expect tips for service.

In all my time serving I can't remember ever complaining about tips other than people who stiffed me. I had an old lady who would come in every day at lunch, take up a two top for over an hour as she read a book and would only order a coffee. Each time I got a quarter for a tip. The same table would have earned me around 5 bucks for the same amount of time. I never complained, was never poor with my attitude or service to her. It's part of the job. Also, I've know dozens of servers and I know what goes on behind the scenes. Yeah, we complain about tips sometimes to each other, but that isn't the norm. The folks who habitually complained about tips weren't good servers, which is why they didnt get good tips, and they never lasted long. The perception that servers are on,y out to get your hard earned money with the expectation of over-the-top tips exists only in your own head. For this reason I have determined you can't be confused with facts or perspective from those who know better, therefore this thread is nothing more than your own personal bitch session to vent you prejudice against those who live on tips. Carry on.
  • Like 1
Guest The Itis

I don't care how lousy the service was, I always tip, and it is typically 15% or higher.  I once tipped a guy $20 for wiping off my irons after a round of golf, and I tipped the guy at Autozone $10 for spending a whopping 3 minutes to install a battery in my car because I didn't have any tools with me.  In both cases, I am sure it made their day.  I know I felt good about it.

I tried to tip the guy at Autozone for changing the battery, but he said they're not allowed to take it.
The battery changing thing is just one of the services they offer, so I guess in a way it's not the guy going above and beyond his job duties, just fulfilling them.

Ill tip 20% for good service. Good service means keeping my water filled, not talking to me like I'm 5 and delivering food in a fair manner.
The rate drops for every 5 mins I sit w an empty glass. It drops again if you steal my plate or the ol ladies plate id we have to het up or leave for a minute. Dumping ketchup or garnishing my food w dirty ass parmesan cheese,salt or pepper or some other garnishment will make me send it back and drop the tip again.I don't get mean w servers as its not right. Ill tell a mgr what i think if they ask.Leaving a dollar on a table is my way of saying my experienced sucked. I kinda carry the same attitude as John taffy the bar rescue guy, if it goes bad give me a solution not an excuse and ill tip and come back. Feeding me pre canned bs about a meal or killing my meal by burning it or serving me a baby portion runs the tip down. I tip pre tax. I understand some folks need their money but if they're serving and bitching over tips, and they suck, they should find a new line of work. I deal w the public and don't get or expect gratuities. For those that do they should give to get and shun entitlement desires....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Ill tip 20% for good service. Good service means keeping my water filled, not talking to me like I'm 5 and delivering food in a fair manner.
The rate drops for every 5 mins I sit w an empty glass. It drops again if you steal my plate or the ol ladies plate id we have to het up or leave for a minute. Dumping ketchup or garnishing my food w dirty ass parmesan cheese,salt or pepper or some other garnishment will make me send it back and drop the tip again.I don't get mean w servers as its not right. Ill tell a mgr what i think if they ask.Leaving a dollar on a table is my way of saying my experienced sucked.

I actually have a hard time complaining to managers. The last time I had real bad service that warranted no tip the manager stopped by the table to ask about the meal and service. On one hand, there is the right of the management to know if their staff is screwing up. On the other hand, I might be getting someone fired who is just having a bad day. Maybe his father died. Maybe his girl dumped him. For this reason I take the direct approach by explaining to the sever why I'm not leaving a tip. I figure it will let them know what they need to correct if they want to be successful and keep their job. Of course, in this case the guy was a total piece of crap, and kept making bad excuses for why he did such a horrid job instead of hearing what I was telling him. At any rate, I don't feel comfortable getting a person fired unless I'm doing the firing.
We always tip if there is good service, if not, we don't. But we also try to remember that a lot of times the issues are the fault of the kitchen and not the server. And sometimes if the food is just awesome, we'll throw a 20 directly to the chef.

Have also went with a group and had a great server, we folded up a 50$ really small and laid it under a 1$ bill. Was funny watching her pick up the 1$ and looking pissed off, then I think she thought it was a 5$ under. Then she unfolded it and started crying. It was funny watching someone go from pissed off to content to excited in like 5 seconds.
  • Like 1
Guest Keal G Seo

I'm not getting personal. You have multiple people, including myself, who attempted to explain to you how the industry works in order to give you insight. I haven't worked in that industry since George Bush took his oath of office, so I have nothing to gain by servers getting or not getting tips. We simply were responding to your original post, which you have shown you don't care to acknowledge those points, so really this thread was created for no other reason other than for you to complain about folks who get their wages from tips.

I will now get personal though. The reason you have such a disdain for the system as it exists is because you resent folks making good money that you don't feel they have earned, and I detect a little envy in there too. You have zero ability to make such judgments about these workers because you have not worked in the industry and clearly don't value the perspective of those who have. You just want to be mad that they expect tips for service.

In all my time serving I can't remember ever complaining about tips other than people who stiffed me. I had an old lady who would come in every day at lunch, take up a two top for over an hour as she read a book and would only order a coffee. Each time I got a quarter for a tip. The same table would have earned me around 5 bucks for the same amount of time. I never complained, was never poor with my attitude or service to her. It's part of the job. Also, I've know dozens of servers and I know what goes on behind the scenes. Yeah, we complain about tips sometimes to each other, but that isn't the norm. The folks who habitually complained about tips weren't good servers, which is why they didnt get good tips, and they never lasted long. The perception that servers are on,y out to get your hard earned money with the expectation of over-the-top tips exists only in your own head. For this reason I have determined you can't be confused with facts or perspective from those who know better, therefore this thread is nothing more than your own personal bitch session to vent you prejudice against those who live on tips. Carry on.

Oh you are getting personal through sarcasm about what I should have put in my post etc...should I quote? I never asked for insight into the industry. Known enough people to know it is a crap job but if you are decent at it you can make...ok money. Again, I didn't ask anything in my OP about how it worked. I asked 2 main questions:

If you are working a minimum wage job (tipped), you work 8 hours and only make $40+hourly, that comes out to your salary...is that really something to complain about?
...do servers really keep track of their weekly/bi-weekly/monthly/yearly tips?

I have nothing against the industry or how it works. What I have a distaste for is whiny little little bitches like the acquaintance on FB. I don't know, maybe they are a crappy server. Or maybe she just likes to bitch about the person that stiffed her that day. Who knows?

But since you want to get really personal, lets! I think you grow muscles every time you log onto the computer. I think you get online to start fights and feel like a big man because, well how should I say this...lacking in other areas. I think that you can't handle it when someone presents you with an argument you can't repute or disprove and start getting personal to try to get a reaction. So here it is little boy, troll away.

I think when this thread is done I am just going to block you. Let you find someone else to troll and get personal with.

Oh you are getting personal through sarcasm about what I should have put in my post etc...should I quote? I never asked for insight into the industry. Known enough people to know it is a crap job but if you are decent at it you can make...ok money. Again, I didn't ask anything in my OP about how it worked. I asked 2 main questions:

I have nothing against the industry or how it works. What I have a distaste for is whiny little little bitches like the acquaintance on FB. I don't know, maybe they are a crappy server. Or maybe she just likes to bitch about the person that stiffed her that day. Who knows?

But since you want to get really personal, lets! I think you grow muscles every time you log onto the computer. I think you get online to start fights and feel like a big man because, well how should I say this...lacking in other areas. I think that you can't handle it when someone presents you with an argument you can't repute or disprove and start getting personal to try to get a reaction. So here it is little boy, troll away.

I think when this thread is done I am just going to block you. Let you find someone else to troll and get personal with.

So we went from me suggesting you started this thread just to whine and you graduated to insulting my cock size? Didnt think that meant I have huge Internet muscles. I just feel like my genuine response was a wasted effort since you're just here to complain. In the future, just include "this is a thread to whine and moan" that way people don't write meaningful responses back. Problem solved.

Mandatory tip?  Where did I say that?  Your last few sentences are at odds with your first few.

A tip should be based on quality of services rendered.  The problem starts when customers don't want to tip, go out of their way to find reasons not to tip, or are there to commit outright fraud. 

####ty service doesn't deserve a tip.  Good service does. 

You don't tip your lawn boy, mail carrier, roofer, or walmart worker because it is an entirely different sort of job.  Same reason people tip tattoo artists, valets, etc.  You're comparing apples to oranges.

When my bill gets 15% to 20% added to the bill for TIPS...that's a MANDATORY TIP. Did you not see where I said that? And, I absolutely refuse to pay MANDATORY tips!

DaveS

• Like 1

I actually have a hard time complaining to managers. The last time I had real bad service that warranted no tip the manager stopped by the table to ask about the meal and service. On one hand, there is the right of the management to know if their staff is screwing up. On the other hand, I might be getting someone fired who is just having a bad day. Maybe his father died. Maybe his girl dumped him. For this reason I take the direct approach by explaining to the sever why I'm not leaving a tip. I figure it will let them know what they need to correct if they want to be successful and keep their job. Of course, in this case the guy was a total piece of crap, and kept making bad excuses for why he did such a horrid job instead of hearing what I was telling him. At any rate, I don't feel comfortable getting a person fired unless I'm doing the firing.

I agree, we all have bad days, i guess i meant i wont go out of my way to find a manager, servers cant control the kitchen and vice versa,but if a mgr can tell the chef about an issue,alls well.staying away from the bowl is a good idea to avoid getting peed on.......  i do think the lemonade thing is funny as hell,,,,,,,,,,i drink water cause its healthier and i dont care to pay 2.49 for a cup full of ice and 4 oz of tea...... :ugh:

Edited by Dustbuster

When my bill gets 15% to 20% added to the bill for TIPS...that's a MANDATORY TIP. Did you not see where I said that? And, I absolutely refuse to pay MANDATORY tips!

DaveS

*Most* places will remove the automatic tip upon request for small groups (family sized, say 1-4 people).  Not all, but most.  All the places I go to only add this sort of thing for larger (more than will fit at one table) sized groups.

Uhh ... I'm not moderator or admin but uhh ...

Posted Image
  • Like 1

DaveS

Ok.  Where do you go that adds a mandatory tip to your bill?  The only time I've ever seen that done is for parties of 8+ and it is plainly stated on the menu.