2014 Legislative Goals

Guest 270win

Guest 270win

What are our 2014 legislative goals?  I believe we need to contact our NRA representative to communicate these goals.

Mine are the following:

1.  Possibly create an enhanced permit, similar to what Mississippi has done, that would allow folks to carry in all parks, school property, and properties with signs.

2.  Local park pre emption to legalize carry for all permit holders.

3.  Eliminate the fine and possible permit suspension for carrying past 'no guns' signs.

4.  I know this is a long stretch, but legalize carry on school property, at least private schools, for those with permits.

Make the bills simple and clean and we will have some of the best gun laws in the country for those with permits.  We also need to communicate that it is legal to carry in schools, parks, and past 'no guns' signs in other states with no problems.

I am not advocating that property owners be forced to allow permit holders, but that permit holders do not have to worry about misdemeanor and felony charges for carrying at schools, parks, and past 'no guns' signs.  Property owners should still be able to ask folks to leave, just like people who do not conform to a dress code.

4.  I know this is a long stretch, but legalize carry on school property, at least private schools, for those with permits.

If you are going to separate public/private, I think the argument may make more sense, both constitutionally and legally, to argue that all public institutions should allow it, while private institutions have the rights as private businesses and property.

Also, the parking lot bill has even set a partial precedent for all schools.  I expect that should a state supported school  fire an employee or expel a student for it, it will be denied to do so in court -- seems a clear violation to penalize one for exactly adhering to state law while at the same time taking state funding.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest 270win

I would rather people be able to carry without a permit too, but I think it would be easier to remove the restrictions on those with permits than to do away with the permit system.

3.  Eliminate the fine and possible permit suspension for carrying past 'no guns' signs.

....... Property owners should still be able to ask folks to leave, just like people who do not conform to a dress code.

# 3 is the one that bugs me most. 

If an owner wants to post their business, its their business and I'll take my business elsewhere. 

But what gets me are the business owners who only want to make a political statement and do their upmost to Hide the posting and/or place it in a location that is near impossible to see.  Its an attempt to trap permit holders IMHO.

Their activism to promote, impede, or limit the liberty of others should carry no force of law other than the possible charge of trespassing after and only after being asked to leave.

AND THE DANG POSTING NEEDS TO GO BACK TO THE FULL SIZE STATED TCA AS BEFORE!  The signage needs to be in a font that can be read and in a location that is On The Entry Door!  That way everyone knows that the business is a "Criminal-Right-To-Work & Deranged Killer Zone." 

• Like 2

As for pre-emption, remove all exceptions for local pre-emption of state law (even those passed before 1986).    Remove 39-17-1352a3 or at the very least require a non-ex-parte hearing before a circuit court judge before being able to revoke or suspend a permit.  It would be nice to require a hearing for all revocations and suspensions to require a hearing.

Criminal penalties for any person intentionally violating 39-17-1351l.

Place the burden of proof on TDOS for denials under 39-17-1351i instead of on the person making application.

Amending 39-17-1351g+h to prohibit the sharing of any fingerprint records with any other state, local, or federal agency unless there is a court order for that specific persons records.

Amending 39-17-1359a1 to remove the words "or local, state, or federal entity" :)

Add to 39-17-1359c1 the word knowingly.

Edited by JayC
  • Like 1
Guest 270win

Who is our state's NRA legislative lobbyist, so that we can bounce ideas to him or her? I think it will go a long way to get the NRA's support for bills that benefit firearm owners.

Edited by 270win

Waste of time, TFA has a much better track record.

Who is our state's NRA legislative lobbyist, so that we can bounce ideas to him or her? I think it will go a long way to get the NRA's support for bills that benefit firearm owners.

If anybody has had communication with, or been appraised of who our State NRA advocate is, please advise the group.  Since Darren LaSorte took over for Heidi Keesling, and then went back to his original duties, I have had no communication from the NRA.  New person is supposed to be a Trevor Santos, but I never heard from him in 2013.

Edited by Worriedman

AND THE DANG POSTING NEEDS TO GO BACK TO THE FULL SIZE STATED TCA AS BEFORE!  The signage needs to be in a font that can be read and in a location that is On The Entry Door!  That way everyone knows that the business is a "Criminal-Right-To-Work & Deranged Killer Zone."

Very much agree. I haven't seen much interest when I've expressed this myself but there has to be a way forward with this. Is there no campaign already for this that we could get behind?

I would rather see the fine gone for the signs than modify the wording.  If the weapons charges are gone for that and carrying in local parks, then you could carry anywhere except inside schools and courtroom during court.  Schools would be nice to be legalized too.

Setting up goals is a good thing but we already know who'll vote against us.

Take out the trash (at least some of it) during the primaries and the goals become more reachable.

Setting up goals is a good thing but we already know who'll vote against us.

Take out the trash (at least some of it) during the primaries and the goals become more reachable.

My rep is the anti-gun Joe Armstrong, can't shake him, he seems to have a lock on my district, mostly racial AFAIK.

'Course my Senator is crazy Stacy, and though he's quite wacked, I rather like him, and he's been behind a number of firearm freedom expansion.

- OS

• Like 1

One change I would like to see is the HCP being an exception to the crime of carrying a firearm rather than a defense. Subtle wording has made a huge difference in how TN treats HCP holders compared to states like GA or IN where there has to be RAS that the carrier has no permit before he/she is detained. 

Theoretically, it might be easier to sneak past most of the legislature who probably wouldn't know the difference. 

Edited by Q-tip

A change I would suggest, and STRONGLY advocate is the legalization of car carry for those who cannot obtain a HCP (due to age, or just don't want it).  If you have the right to have a loaded firearm in your home, you ought to be able to keep it in your vehicle.  TN law is so ambiguous when it comes to transporting firearms, this would just make it a much simpler affair.  Not being able to obtain a HCP due to age, I struggle with the immediate vicinity phrasing of TN law.  When something such as that is not defined by law, it worries me.  What I consider to be not in the immediate vicinity, and a police officer consider immediate vicinity could be two different things, and would just add a layer of protection to pro-2A citizens.  Considering most, if not all states surrounding TN allow it, I believe it is time that TN allow the 18-20 y/o pro-2A citizens to be able to legally carry in their vehicle.  What are your thoughts on something like this?

• Like 2

A change I would suggest, and STRONGLY advocate is the legalization of car carry for those who cannot obtain a HCP (due to age, or just don't want it). If you have the right to have a loaded firearm in your home, you ought to be able to keep it in your vehicle. TN law is so ambiguous when it comes to transporting firearms, this would just make it a much simpler affair. Not being able to obtain a HCP due to age, I struggle with the immediate vicinity phrasing of TN law. When something such as that is not defined by law, it worries me. What I consider to be not in the immediate vicinity, and a police officer consider immediate vicinity could be two different things, and would just add a layer of protection to pro-2A citizens. Considering most, if not all states surrounding TN allow it, I believe it is time that TN allow the 18-20 y/o pro-2A citizens to be able to legally carry in their vehicle. What are your thoughts on something like this?

"Shall not be infringed" was the first thought I had.

Do away with the requirement of background checks for HCP holders to buy a gun. We've already been thru

that once. No need to do it again. Yeah, I know, the State wants the $10. Still a double tax.

I'll agree with another post, we shouldn't need a permit at all.

• Like 3

Yes, it would be nice if the handgun carry permit was a substitute for the background check when buying from a dealer.  Is the TN handgun carry permit not compliant with the feds as a background check substitute?

Guest RebelCowboySnB

One change I would like to see is the HCP being an exception to the crime of carrying a firearm rather than a defense. Subtle wording has made a huge difference in how TN treats HCP holders compared to states like GA or IN where there has to be RAS that the carrier has no permit before he/she is detained. 

Theoretically, it might be easier to sneak past most of the legislature who probably wouldn't know the difference. 

Actually Ga law states that not having a permit is one of the lements of the crime.

A) have a gun

and

B) not have a permit.

To be a crime both A an B have to be true.

My understanding is that in Tn, having a gun is the crime. Nothing else is required. Having a permit is a defense. Is there anywhere in the law that says they can not charge you with the crime even with a permit an make you show it to a judge?

------------------------------------------

I have to ask though, are yall really relying on the NRA guy? Yall are not writeing the laws you want passed an getting to know your reps so you can give it to them to push?

I learned my lesson with the NRA this last year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz32rNQSejY

Yes, it would be nice if the handgun carry permit was a substitute for the background check when buying from a dealer.  Is the TN handgun carry permit not compliant with the feds as a background check substitute?

We are on ATF approved state list if we want to do that -- you know this came up in legislature last session, right? Had financial study regarding lost revenue to TBI, suggestions to increase HCP fee to compensate, all kinds of stuff. Don't recall any particular bloc trying to defeat it or anything, more like I think it mainly was just too complicated an issue for the pinheads we send there.

- OS

• Like 1

Does anyone personally know any state reps or state senators to pass the ideas to?

I do think the NRA has done a lot of good but at the same time I think the NRA is part of the reason for some states having a huge amount of places you cannot legally carry a handgun done out of 'compromise'.