anyone else heard this story about the trucker shutdown of DC?

It seems a bit unfocussed and likely to merely annoy regular motorists than drum up sympathy.

I was wondering how come various federal things get closed down but not the federal highways though. But not too hard. Clearly that *would* cause civil unrest. Far easier the soft targets of aging war veterans. I'm almost tempted to use the T word that is so readily bandied about these days. Edited by tnguy

Been a couple of threads on it here.

It won't amount to much, not enough truly independent truckers left in the US. Vast majority are company drivers and owner operators leased to a company, neither can risk their jobs in this economy.

Always the chance for a few crazies to make some real news though. If guns are involved, so much the better for the Left.

- OS

....It won't amount to much, not enough truly independent truckers left in the US. Vast majority are company drivers and owner operators leased to a company, neither can risk their jobs in this economy.

Always the chance for a few crazies to make some real news though. If guns are involved, so much the better for the Left.

- OS

Yep, so far "dozens" not "thousands".

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/11/dozens-not-thousands-show-up-for-dc-trucker-protest/

- OS

I heard several things about it but I am not expecting it to be much. 20 years ago maybe but in today's environment I don't see it happening. If it does it won't do much if anything except makes news story on page 5 and might get a paragraph. Will be surprise if it actually happens........jmho 

I don't expect anything to come of it. Truckers can hardly agree on anything, much less politics. Really think the Teamsters are going to get behind an anti-Obama event? Even if they all did agree, it costs a lot of money to run a truck without paying freight. 

Besides, the DOT guys would have a field day busting drivers anywhere around DC. Random inspections, equipment violations, log book problems...give them long enough, they can find something wrong if they really want to. 

• Like 1