Food stamp cards not working

rugerla1

Lowbuster, not sure anyone here is saying everyone that receives assistance is a leach but saying the abuse is not widespread is not accurate either. I spent many years in the grocery business and saw many questionable circumstances involving what used to be food stamps now EBT cards. Things like people selling the stamps, buying a banana just to get the change. I have seen folks with 2 shopping carts,1 for the EBT and 1 for the cash purchases. The things they had in the cash buggy made one wonder if they really needed help at all. As a member of a charitable organization that try's to help those in need I can tell you this 8 out of 10 calls from people needing help that I looked into did not really need more money. I have story after story of people that contacted us that lived better than I did. They spent the limited funds they had coming in on things they could not get someone to give them and then asked for help on things like the electric bill or groceries. I cannot count the times folks called and asked for money to buy food and when we offered to meet them at the store and buy them something they did not show up.

The problem is how do you identify those that just need a temporary hand up from those that have decided to take advantage of the the systems? Do you give to everybody just to make sure those that really need help get some or do you make it more difficult to get help and miss some of those that really need it?

As the parent of a special needs child we have been offered "free services" over the years. I could not accept these because we can afford to pay for them, but that was not a concern to those that were offering. As one lady put it when I questioned her about this " we'll get you qualified".

The folks here probably have many of the same experiences as I have. We are not calling everybody that needs help a leach but this country has raised up a generation of people that have no desire to be a productive member of society but live off the backs of others.

I hope you continue to get better.
The problem with using an honor system is that it only works properly when most people have honor. I'm sure there are a whole buncha people out there who qualify for many forms of assistance, but chose not to use it because they don't feel they need it. Then there are those who don't need it who take it for a lifetime. Kinda like when you leave a bowl of candy on your porch at Halloween with instructions to only take a few pieces of candy. There's always that kid who's gonna take the whole bowl and justify it by saying someone else would have eventually done it. No honor.

They proved your Halloween scenario in those two stores.The people who did that are nothing more than

criminals. They got a whole lot of something for nothing.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I'm posting right it looks like my post is in with timesteppers. I'm on iphone, how do I put my post below another.

Tap the post until quote appears, then tap quote, hit the return key to scroll down(sometimes fingers can be terrible), then start your reply. After you are done hit "done" then post it. I have ten thumbs and replying on an iphone can be tedious.

Edited by 6.8 AR

Just seen on fox news that their governor said everyone that took advantage of this issue is completely losing their benefits.

Well done!

Sam, we'll see if it is carried out. I doubt it my self, although that would be a good way to teach someone a lesson!

DaveS