Food stamp cards not working

rugerla1

Guest TankerHC
Google for the news, article from 6 or 7 months ago the store owner's in Texas who had people coming into their stores with 5000 dollars available on their ebt cards. How does that happen on less than 500 per month? Or check out the stories from Baltimore a few months ago where they found out that people from the islands were getting ebt card's pulling their card's, filling 55 gallon drums with food and mailing shipping them home. As for the generational welfare recipient's, here is some first hand knowledge. Uncle died in 74 at age 36. 18 year old daughter on welfare. Mother very wealthy and bought her everything. Then sister on welfare. Then their kids and now their grandkids. 3 generations. All fully capable of working. All had the money for college. All but 2 on welfare. Poster above, completely legitimate. Those mentioned, not legitimate.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

• Moderators

At least the difference here is that corporations make money. They employ people who spend their money and so on and so forth. At least it can be sold to the American people as an investment. People who just take with no intention of ever giving back are not an investment. A better investment would be using them as industrial fertilizer.

Corporate welfare is an investment that provides a return to the people? Tell that to Solyndra. The way you make an environment hospitable to business isn't by bribery with tax dollars. It is by not taxing and regulating them out of profitability. Leave people and business to live or die by their own merits and get the government out of their hair. Tax dollars should be spent only when absolutely necessary to provide bare bones essential functions like the courts or national defense (not offensive war adventuring). If the government has to support itself by stealing a third of its citizens' wealth and STILL has to borrow 40% on top of that it makes one wonder weather we really need it or if it just a really big, overgrown parasite on the people.
  • Like 2

I am surprised that there is more outrage over this issue than the bank bailouts and the billions that this country pisses away in foreign aid bribes annually. Until drastic changes are made, our government will continue to waste our tax dollars.

Until we stop the losses that we incur giving away resources and money to foreigners, I'm not going to have a stroke because Americans get enough money from the gorvernment to remain poor. When we stop military projects that require that at least one screw be manufactured in every congressional district in America I'll have stroke over poor people screwing the system out of goods that we will willingly fly on our tax dollars to the beaches of a foreign country before storm waters receed from their shores.

I'm not attempting to justify the abuses. I work as hard or harder as most people here and I have to put on my big boy drawers every April to write Uncle Sam an extortion check. I get your anger. I just have different priorities when it comes to how Uncle Sugar disburses our tax dollars.

We are mad at that too.

The Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) system allows recipients of government food stamps to purchase goods using a digital card with a set spending limit, but for a few hours over the weekend, that limit disappeared for many users visiting Walmart stores in Louisiana.

Walmart and local police in Springhill and Mansfield confirmed to CBS affiliate KSLA that officers were called into the stores to help maintain order Saturday as shoppers swept through the aisles at two stores and bought as much as they could carry.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57607332/ebt-benefit-card-glitch-sparks-walmart-shopping-sprees-in-louisiana/

So I guess we just paid for a big shopping spree.

Edited by vontar

What's with the judgmental questioning? My apologies. Your judgmental tone got the better of me. I'm not judging you for being on government assistance, though you choose to be offended by me anyway. No, I was offended by your initial blanket conviction and condemnation of anyone who uses EBT. What am I doing?  Well I guess I'm paying a sh**load in taxes so people less fortunate than me can eat. I'm raising two children to learn that nothing is free and you don't take what you didn't earn. I vote. I write my elected officials. Thank you for finally answering my question! And yes, I bitch. I don't see how that puts me on a "high horse". Perhaps it's the tone of your bitching. I think it's a sad state of affairs that a person is considered to be sitting on a high horse because he provides for his family despite a growling section of society stealing from every dollar I make. If it's any consolation, I'm older than you are, therefore they've been stealing from me longer than they've been stealing from you and I hereby retract my "high horse" statement. Please carry on.

Does anyone else think that this "glitch" might be a dry run for what is coming? A planned test of reactions? I dunno.....just my :2cents:

I found your tinfoil hat on the ground again.  :tinfoil:

Don't want those government waves getting in there.  :stalk:

Edited by vontar
  • Like 2

Corporate welfare is an investment that provides a return to the people? Tell that to Solyndra. The way you make an environment hospitable to business isn't by bribery with tax dollars. It is by not taxing and regulating them out of profitability. Leave people and business to live or die by their own merits and get the government out of their hair. Tax dollars should be spent only when absolutely necessary to provide bare bones essential functions like the courts or national defense (not offensive war adventuring). If the government has to support itself by stealing a third of its citizens' wealth and STILL has to borrow 40% on top of that it makes one wonder weather we really need it or if it just a really big, overgrown parasite on the people.

I agree, I guess what I was saying that when you compare giving money away to an oxygen thief versus a business, the business at least makes more sense because they will produce something and employ people.

I'll go ahead and make my prediction; there won't be a single charge against any of these thieves nor will their EBT cards be taken back or adjusted to reflect the money they stole from me and the other people who pay taxes.

Beyond that, I'm betting the gov will pick up the bill for it. The bigger issue here, and what I'm pointing out, is the propensity of the takers to take what isn't theirs. They don't believe in earning do themselves and justify taking from others by using their envy of hard working folks as an excuse.

Looks like WalMart will be footing the bill because there are emergency procedures in place that only allow them to sell $50 per card when the system is down and the store decided to ignore them.  The state released a statement concerning the matter a little while ago.

• Moderators

Looks like WalMart will be footing the bill because there are emergency procedures in place that only allow them to sell $50 per card when the system is down and the store decided to ignore them. The state released a statement concerning the matter a little while ago.

There is a manager somehwhere who is about to be applying for EBT...
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

I agree, I guess what I was saying that when you compare giving money away to an oxygen thief versus a business, the business at least makes more sense because they will produce something and employ people.

While I can see why one would hold that position, I can't justify the theft from citizens necessary to raise the funds in the first place. Government doesn't have any money of its own, it only has what it has first stolen from the people.
  • Like 2
Guest RebelCowboySnB

Looks like WalMart will be footing the bill because there are emergency procedures in place that only allow them to sell $50 per card when the system is down and the store decided to ignore them.  The state released a statement concerning the matter a little while ago.

I would not bet on walmart eating that one. The government will scratch walmarts back.

I also bet the government will pay it.

Kinda like when credit card fraud happens and items are purchased, the card company still pays the store.  It is in the agreement.   So stores don't have an incentive to step in. They know the EBT system will still pay them.

While I can see why one would hold that position, I can't justify the theft from citizens necessary to raise the funds in the first place. Government doesn't have any money of its own, it only has what it has first stolen from the people.

Plus, unless the business is actually producing something useful, you may as well just be giving the money directly to the employees in the first place. Otherwise you're just wasting resources and probably making somebody (politicians buddy) rich. And there won't be the market forces necessary to force the business to suffer the death it needs either.

Corporate welfare should not be regarded as any less worse than personal welfare. Both badly need to go.

• Like 2

I would not bet on walmart eating that one. The government will scratch walmarts back.

I'm pretty sure they will be, since there was only a few select stores that allowed it to happen, other ones in the state followed protocol.

Does anyone else think that this "glitch" might be a dry run for what is coming? A planned test of reactions? I dunno.....just my :2cents:

I do...

And if we aren't prepared for what happens if anything at all happens with ebt cards, we'll starve and/or have to be prepared to defend ourselves. The collapse of welfare/food stamps etc. is right up there at the top of my concerns as far as SHTF goes. Sheet will go down hill fast.

I do...

And if we aren't prepared for what happens if anything at all happens with ebt cards, we'll starve and/or have to be prepared to defend ourselves. The collapse of welfare/food stamps etc. is right up there at the top of my concerns as far as SHTF goes. Sheet will go down hill fast.

The excuse was that it was a power failure. Lame excuse, I think. But more likely, if the system went down, it would be

due to no money around to fund it, that is, after they quit printing it.

Link?  I've been trying to follow this one.  I figured they'd say "You get $500 per month, you rang up $700 and only had $17 left when you did so.  Your EBT now has a balance of -$683.  Next month it will go to -$183.  The month after that it will go to $317.  Hope you saved some of that food."

• Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

Link?  I've been trying to follow this one.  I figured they'd say "You get $500 per month, you rang up $700 and only had $17 left when you did so.  Your EBT now has a balance of -$683.  Next month it will go to -$183.  The month after that it will go to $317.  Hope you saved some of that food."

That would be the logical thing to do, reality is a good teacher. But it would generate wall to wall pity stories of poor hungry children starving because the government is punishing "harmless well-intended mistakes" made by the parental units.

Edited by Lester Weevils

That would be the logical thing to do, reality is a good teacher. But it would generate wall to wall pity stories of poor hungry children starving because the government is punishing "harmless well-intended mistakes" made by the parental units.

Nothing makes more sense than morbidly obese people talking about how their children are starving. Meanwhile, somehow they can afford crack rocks and meth...

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/walmart-stuck-food-stamp-shopping-spree/story?id=20563982

It was Xerox's contracted system that went down, not the gummit. On the other hand it was only two Walmarts that decided to let them buy, not Xerox or the gummit.

If credit card verifications were down for a day, do you think they would have let you use your piece of plastic? Boils down to a couple of dumb ass store managers or one area one, seems to me.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot