Food stamp cards not working

rugerla1

Didn't see this posted. Appears that a lot of people are without money on their cards. This scenario nationwide has always been a concern of mine as far as SHTF. I'm not making light of the people who really deserve the help, but to the others that live off of us because they don't want to work, I say this "I work for everything I have and have ever had, and there have been many times that I didn't have much to eat, or any money. I got through it, I didn't bi^&* at someone to give me a card to buy cigs, beer, food, and whatever the hell else they are allowed to get now.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/12/food-stamp-debit-cards-not-working-in-17-states/?intcmp=latestnews

• Like 1

I read this as well, The Blaze had a few tweets about it. I to have had to make a few tuff choices on Thursday, ya know,

no gas, no food, no drink and 10 dollars left in the wallet. Spend money on gas to get to work  Friday.

Now it has been years since I had to worry about to many days and not enough money.

As I work EVERYDAY I can and them some.

• Like 3

I read this as well, The Blaze had a few tweets about it. I to have had to make a few tuff choices on Thursday, ya know,

no gas, no food, no drink and 10 dollars left in the wallet. Spend money on gas to get to work  Friday.

Now it has been years since I had to worry about to many days and not enough money.

As I work EVERYDAY I can and them some.

Amen to that. I come from a big family, and we got by on very little a lot of the time. It made us thankful for the times we had more. Way too many people nowadays THINK they have to have all of the extras all the time. I'm proud of everyday that we all had together, and if/when the SHTF, I know my family and friends who were raised like us, will be easily adapted to getting by since we've done it. The last thing I'll be worried about is buying lottery tickets or getting a phone with unlimited data.

Even now, we don't have tons of money set back like I'd like to have. But we are happy, and healthy. Hell, these people complaining eat better than we do and don't and won't work for their own.

• Like 3

Amen to that. I come from a big family, and we got by on very little a lot of the time. It made us thankful for the times we had more. Way too many people nowadays THINK they have to have all of the extras all the time. I'm proud of everyday that we all had together, and if/when the SHTF, I know my family and friends who were raised like us, will be easily adapted to getting by since we've done it. The last thing I'll be worried about is buying lottery tickets or getting a phone with unlimited data.

Even now, we don't have tons of money set back like I'd like to have. But we are happy, and healthy. Hell, these people complaining eat better than we do and don't and won't work for their own.

Hey now! Not all of us unlimited data snobs are bad people.  :yuck:

• Like 3
How much money could we trim from the fed budget if we shut down the EBT/STARS system EVERY weekend, making them do all their shopping on weekdays while their benefactors are working. I know I'd appreciate shorter lines at Kroger/Walmart on Saturdays and Sundays.
  • Like 2
Furlough govt workers, freeze military pay, stop research to combat cancer in children, but hey...don't you even talk about cutting out welfare. Makes me sick.

Got a good LOL on this yesterday and the interviews of the people at the stores.

Everyone one of them were like "What do they expect people to do?!?! This is not right!!!"

How about you take your lazy ass to work or back to school like the rest of the country does when we want food.

[quote name="Barbara Coleman - From the Article"] You don't want children going hungry tonight because of stupidity.[/quote]. If Barbara and many like her really believed this, they would be outraged by the number of people dependent upon the government to feed their children. Just Say'n. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD Edited by jcluff

I have never seen a person swipe an EBT who looked like they missed any meals, ever. Meanwhile, I'm feeding my kids. Last I checked that was a parental responsibility, not the gubmint.

Well Dallas schools are feeding kids breakfast and lunch Monday to Friday FOR FREE, training them just the opposite!!!

In a few years the parent will be a thing of the past.

I have never seen a person swipe an EBT who looked like they missed any meals, ever. Meanwhile, I'm feeding my kids. Last I checked that was a parental responsibility, not the gubmint.

The government is acting like they own us, like they are the Parent, nanny state and all. It is not looked upon with favor to be INDEPENDENT of FedGov. I am reminded of the line in V for Vendetta...."We need to remind them why THEY need US!"........My rights come from God. My family is my responsibility. The government is the servant not me or mine. We need to remind them of that.

• Like 1
Guest TheDrip

The real discussion we should be having here is not who deserves the help, how many people leech the system, etc. It's what is going to happen when they realize they're starving, and the government isn't going to help.

Remember when KFC grilled chicken came out, and they had one day of free chicken, one piece per customer? They ran out of chicken at the closest KFC, the people in line rioted destroyed that KFC. It was closed for a week for repairs. Now imagine whats going to happen when you go from a few hundred people at KFC, to tens of thousands across a city that aren't getting their free food they think they deserve.

How long until the rioting/looting begins, if the leeches aren't getting their handouts?

Confessions of an EBT Leech

In January I was averaging slightly less than a thousand bucks a week before taxes. Then I tore a quad tendon and a few weeks later (after wok comp. kicked in) had about six hundred fifty bucks a week coming in. Then, on March 15th, while on "hawk patrol" in our back yard (my wife had left the door of the chicken run open and the hawks were having a heyday with our bantys), I became the reluctant recipient of a self-actuated adventitious ballistically induced subcutaneous astragalus aperture (my left knee buckled and as I stumbled, I accidentally shot myself in the freakin' ankle with a .357mag rifle - been around guns literally all my life and it's not supposed to happen, but sometimes it just does). Anyway - BANG - six surgeries, several weeks in the hospital and ZERO income from April until the second week in July when I was able to start working part time in our office, making about a hundred eighty bucks before taxes. Since then, I've missed three weeks of work because my wife contracted viral meningitis in mid August and spent a week in the hospital and then needed 24 hour care for a couple of weeks afterwards and there was no one else to help.

Man, talk about being damned glad to be one of those weirdo prepper types! We had enough food set by to get us through quite a spell, but we went through our savings pretty quickly just trying to keep heart & soul together and purchasing "specialty items" that I needed that insurance wouldn't cover.

One of the members here spread the word while I was still in the hospital and a collection was taken and, as much as I detest accepting "charity" of any kind, the money couldn't have come at a better time. I know I haven't thanked the members and friends here on TGO nearly enough and I'd like to take this opportunity to once again thank everyone for the words of support and their donations when I was at my lowest, both physically and mentally. Mere words cannot begin to express the depth of gratitude and humility I continue to feel for the outpouring of support.

I said all that to say this: I'm not out to chew anyone's ass and I agree with some of what has been said here so far and there was a time when I, myself, thought that everyone who received food stamps or an EBT card was lazy and no account and just needed to get off their butts and get a job...

Then all of a sudden I had no choice but to apply for EBT myself. I haven't been able to buy beer or cigarettes or even a hot rotisserie chicken from the grocery store like a bunch of people seem to think. We can't buy gas, batteries, hot nachos, or even freakin' toilet paper. I applied for (and was rejected by)  Social Security Disability - figured since I'd paid into it all these years, I'd take a little out until I could get back on my feet (no pun intended). NO ONE wants me to get back to being a productive member of society as much as I do. And as I type this I still don't know if I'll ever be able to go back to work full time. And we're still getting by on less than two hundred bucks a week.

I agree that there are a lot of abuses to the system. I've heard radio talk show hosts go on and on about the worthless EBT card leeches stocking up on steak and pork chops at the end of the month. And I was outraged right along with them. Then I had to become one of those worthless leeches myself. And I found out a few things. I'm not going to bother to share what I've learned here because I've read this thread and I'm beginning to doubt that it would make any difference.

And no, it doesn't look like I've missed many meals. Part of that is because, thanks to careful planning on the part of my wife and myself, I haven't. And part of it is because I still can't get around well enough to get the physical exercise I need to get myself back into decent shape. 

There's more I could say, but I won't bother because it won't change any minds and besides I've got to worm my way under the house and work on a water leak that I can't afford to pay a plumber to work on, so I'll leave you with this:

There are a lot of abuses to the system. Not nearly as many as people seem to think, but they do exist. I'm sorry that I'm one of the leeches who uses EBT. If it's any consolation, I haven't bought any ammo, guns or fishing gear since before I got hurt. Every cent I make goes back into our household and I've even been forced to sell off some pretty dear possessions to keep the lights on...

I just pray that none of the gloaters here ever have to eat their words and become an EBT or SSI leech. Believe me, it's not only not fun, it's humiliating and degrading and top of everything else, you get to listen to people you used to respect talk about how worthless you are and what a drain on society you are. Oh sure, they won't mean you, personally, but that's only because they don't know you're an EBT leech. When they find out, they'll feel sorry for you and pity you and become conciliatory...

...and that's even worse.

:(

Edited by Timestepper
  • Like 8

I said all that to say this: I'm not out to chew anyone's ass and I agree with some of what has been said here so far and there was a time when I, myself, thought that everyone who received food stamps or an EBT card was lazy and no account and just needed to get off their butts and get a job...

Here's the deal, there's a huge difference between someone who needs assistance and someone who wants "entitlements". Those words mean and imply very, very different things, yet both are often used to describe the same thing.

Someone who needs assistance is a person who intends to take care of their own responsibilities at some point. A person who wants entitlements has no desire to achieve self sustaining income or pay their own way; after all, they're ENTITLED to free chow from the gubmint. These are the people I'm speaking of. They've never had a job, never provided for themselves or their own children. They are not people, they are animals with sub-human characteristics. Maybe not even animals, since animals would take care of themselves and find food when hungry rather than sitting around waiting for someone else to provide it. At any rate, those people are not having bad luck, they are simply lazy and entitled. They are not human.
  • Like 4

Confessions of an EBT Leech

In January I was averaging slightly less than a thousand bucks a week before taxes. Then I tore a quad tendon and a few weeks later (after wok comp. kicked in) had about six hundred fifty bucks a week coming in. Then, on March 15th, while on "hawk patrol" in our back yard (my wife had left the door of the chicken run open and the hawks were having a heyday with our bantys), I became the reluctant recipient of a self-actuated adventitious ballistically induced subcutaneous astragalus aperture (my left knee buckled and as I stumbled, I accidentally shot myself in the freakin' ankle with a .357mag rifle - been around guns literally all my life and it's not supposed to happen, but sometimes it just does). Anyway - BANG - six surgeries, several weeks in the hospital and ZERO income from April until the second week in July when I was able to start working part time in our office, making about a hundred eighty bucks before taxes. Since then, I've missed three weeks of work because my wife contracted viral meningitis in mid August and spent a week in the hospital and then needed 24 hour care for a couple of weeks afterwards and there was no one else to help.

Man, talk about being damned glad to be one of those weirdo prepper types! We had enough food set by to get us through quite a spell, but we went through our savings pretty quickly just trying to keep heart & soul together and purchasing "specialty items" that I needed that insurance wouldn't cover.

One of the members here spread the word while I was still in the hospital and a collection was taken and, as much as I detest accepting "charity" of any kind, the money couldn't have come at a better time. I know I haven't thanked the members and friends here on TGO nearly enough and I'd like to take this opportunity to once again thank everyone for the words of support and their donations when I was at my lowest, both physically and mentally. Mere words cannot begin to express the depth of gratitude and humility I continue to feel for the outpouring of support.

Then all of a sudden I had no choice but to apply for EBT myself. I haven't been able to buy beer or cigarettes or even a hot rotisserie chicken from the grocery store like a bunch of people seem to think. We can't buy gas, batteries, hot nachos, or even freakin' toilet paper. I applied for (and was rejected by)  Social Security Disability - figured since I'd paid into it all these years, I'd take a little out until I could get back on my feet (no pun intended). NO ONE wants me to get back to being a productive member of society as much as I do. And as I type this I still don't know if I'll ever be able to go back to work full time. And we're still getting by on less than two hundred bucks a week.

I agree that there are a lot of abuses to the system. I've heard radio talk show hosts go on and on about the worthless EBT card leeches stocking up on steak and pork chops at the end of the month. And I was outraged right along with them. Then I had to become one of those worthless leeches myself. And I found out a few things. I'm not going to bother to share what I've learned here because I've read this thread and I'm beginning to doubt that it would make any difference.

And no, it doesn't look like I've missed many meals. Part of that is because, thanks to careful planning on the part of my wife and myself, I haven't. And part of it is because I still can't get around well enough to get the physical exercise I need to get myself back into decent shape. 

There's more I could say, but I won't bother because it won't change any minds and besides I've got to worm my way under the house and work on a water leak that I can't afford to pay a plumber to work on, so I'll leave you with this:

There are a lot of abuses to the system. Not nearly as many as people seem to think, but they do exist. I'm sorry that I'm one of the leeches who uses EBT. If it's any consolation, I haven't bought any ammo, guns or fishing gear since before I got hurt. Every cent I make goes back into our household and I've even been forced to sell off some pretty dear possessions to keep the lights on...

I just pray that none of the gloaters here ever have to eat their words and become an EBT or SSI leech. Believe me, it's not only not fun, it's humiliating and degrading and top of everything else, you get to listen to people you used to respect talk about how worthless you are and what a drain on society you are. Oh sure, they won't mean you, personally, but that's only because they don't know you're an EBT leech. When they find out, they'll feel sorry for you and pity you and become conciliatory...

...and that's even worse.

I'm very sorry for what all you and your family went through and glad you got some help as well. That being said, you deserved it, so nobody is talking about people that deserve it. Anytime I talk about the leechers, I am ONLY talking about them, but it never fails that someone thinks EBT/help users are all lumped into one, regardless of the statement saying "Not the ones who need it, I'm talking about the ones who abuse it". The abuse is great, not small. And the abusers have no plans of changing. Why would they? Once they became like us and had to nickel and dime everything to only have to shell out money to pay for the next lazy person in line, they'd see why we get irritated at the ones who don't want to earn their way. Again, NOT people like you who needed the help.

I wish y'all the best and hope everything is better.

• Like 1